Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Berlin's first show!!

Shauntay

Banned
Berlin is entered in the CCA Trois Rivieres show may 16th. It will be my first time participating in a cat show and not just a spectator. Im very nervous! I hope Berlin enjoys herself tho. Im going to feel like a kid at their first day of school, not sure where to go or what to do!! eep!

Shauntay

Banned
Yeah I just got her 2 weeks ago. Ive had her sturdi shelter up a few days, and she is fed in their so I hope she gets used to it. I say start em young. I want her to enjoy herself at a show, a little outting :)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Keep her in the sturdi for a few hours a day.
She will get used to it.
I would put a litter pan in there also and some toys so it will be like when she is at a show.
Do you know what you need to take with you when you show?
I can give you advice on showing.
Try not to be nervous.
The cat will sense you are nervous.
Good Luck

holly_savage

Banned
Good luck at your show, this weekend will be our first show too! In Whitby, ON. I will post all the results and any new stuff I earn that I didn't know before if that helps!

holly_savage

Banned
From my end, there's no need to remind me to take pictures...:LOL::LOL::LOL:not something I forget! And my BF is coming with me to keep me company...this show will also have Agility contests, so I am interested in how that works with cats!:Woo:

Shauntay

Banned
Mews, any advice you can give will be appreciated. Im on a SX breeder/shower forum, so Ive found quite a few lists on things to bring. My main concern is walking around lost, or not figuring out which ring to bring her to and when. I ordered the marked catalogue so maybe that will help. And thats exactly how Im getting her used to her shelter, litter is in there, shes fed in there and loads if her fave toys.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I thought that was you that joined the breeders list.
The rings will have numbers on them so do not worry about going to the wrong ring.
When you go in the show hall set up everything first and put the cat in the show shelter.
Then walk around and see what number is on each ring.
You will need to get your cats number from the catalog and listen for the clerk to call it.
A example would kitten number 67 to ring 3.

Shauntay

Banned
Okay, that puts me at ease a bit, so as long as I listen, things should go well, and thankfully Im a good listener! ;) Ill be sure to take an abundance of pictures, and who knows, maybe Berlin will place! She developed 6 little pimples on her back today, (i counted em) so back from the vet visit and shes on liquid clavamox for ten days. Vet said it was nothing to worry about, and would be cleared in a week, lets cross our fingers!!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am not sure how it works in the CCA.
If you final in TICA you have to go and check to see if your number is posted for a final.
They will announce the finals have been posted.
In CFA they will call your cats number if you final.
You never know she may final at her first show.
Polar did.
Wrinkles did not and Cleo did at every show she was in except her first show.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
In CCA shows they call the numbers for the finals also. Its too bad we just retired Nofuratu last month, or we could have met at the show!!!! You will love it, its lots of fun.

One thing I would reccomend is to keep an eye on the rings to see if your cat's number comes up, or is getting close. Some shows it can be hard to hear, depending on the building.

Also, once you know other, more experienced cats that are in the same category as you, you can keep an eye out for their numbers going up, and then you know you are next.

If you are bilingual, its easier cause they do everything in french and english so you are less likely to miss anything.

When in doubt just ask at the show help desk, they are very friendly. Good luck!!!!

Have lots of hand sanitizer at your booth to keep away germs. And consider making a polite sign reminding people not to touch your cat.....unless you are going to let people do that......when they let the public into shows, some people need reminding and everyone wants to touch a sphynx....LOL.

Adventures of A Naked Cat

Shauntay

Banned
M boyfriend is coming along, the more I talk about the show the more he wants to get involved! He says he wants to support his precious girl (the KITTEN, not me! lol)

Will he have to pay a spectator fee? Or is it acceptable to have him come with me as help and such?

Bella07

Banned
I'm not sure about any fee, but wishing you three the best of luck! I can't wait to get involved in showing cats myself one day!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
M boyfriend is coming along, the more I talk about the show the more he wants to get involved! He says he wants to support his precious girl (the KITTEN, not me! lol)

Will he have to pay a spectator fee? Or is it acceptable to have him come with me as help and such?

I'm not sure if he's allowed without a fee or not but the CFA catshow I went to, the spectator fee was only $5.

holly_savage

Banned
My BF came with me to Hibou's first CCA show and she didn't have to pay to get in. Another thing that was helpful was to request being benched near the other Sphynx cats or other cats in your class, that way as was posted earlier, you will be able to see when your competition goes up, you do too...I found the people at the show to be mostly very friendly and helpful, the veteran show people were only to happy to explain how things work, and how the judging works. It was great fun!

Shauntay

Banned
The entry clerk told me she would try to bench me beside an experienced sphynx exhibitor to mentor me, Im crossing my fingers!

Back