Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Berlin's microchip: a mystery

Ella_B

Lairian
First off, before I get to my question, happy new year everybody (and to all the kitties)! :BigSmile:

So, my question... I had Berlin microchipped on 11 December. The vet placed the chip on the side of her neck, kind of above her left shoulder. It was visible to me as a little lump on her neck and I could definitely feel it under her skin, like a grain of rice or something, but this didn't bother me (I'd rather know that she can always be identified as mine than get fussed about a very small bump). Anyway, the chip didn't seem to bother her at all and life went on as usual.

About a week after she was chipped, I gave Berlin her weekly bath which went about as well as it usually does (she mewed a little and we tried to get it over and done with as quickly as possible). I noticed later that day though that I could no longer see the little lump on her neck. I felt around where I thought the chip was and couldn't feel a thing. Since then I have not seen or felt any sign of that damn chip. I should be glad that it's invisible, but I'm actually just worried. Could it have moved under her skin when I bathed her? And if so, where to? I can't find the damn thing anywhere! Could it have gone deeper into her body? :Frown:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It may have moved.
It happens sometimes.
I can feel Polars easily.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Chances are it slipped farther down her neck. I wouldn't be concerned. You can always have your vet scan it when you take her in for her next checkup just to be sure it can still be picked up. Pedda was chipped on Dec. 21 and danged if I can find hers.

TotenEngel

Banned
Yes, they can indeed migrate!
When I first got Smeagol done I spent hours trying to find it and couldn't, then about a week later he was just sat on me and when I stroked him I could feel it!!
Can't feel any of them on my 3 furry boys!

BlueGirl

Lairian
I have the same issue with Loki, I got him chipped when he was getting nutered so he would be underanisthetic just incase it hurt a little, so obviously it wasnt done infront of me and I have no idea where it is! I've looked at his neck thinking I might feel a bump or something, but nothing!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Chances are it slipped farther down her neck. I wouldn't be concerned. You can always have your vet scan it when you take her in for her next checkup just to be sure it can still be picked up. Pedda was chipped on Dec. 21 and danged if I can find hers.
I agree. Have the vet scan her next time you're in and you'll know exactly where it is.

holly_savage

Banned
They do move. Hibou's was done by our vet office here and I can feel it clearly. Kokka came already chipped and I have never felt it. But the vet scanned at it was there, but can't feel hers.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Darwins chip was placed between his shoulderblades but is now located quite far down on his right front leg. Clearly visible.
It was placed more or less on the spine so quite a bit it travelled.
Happens...

Attachments

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I can no longer feel Gleek's chip either. But I had no idea they could travel as far as Darwin's. I guess I should expand my search area.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Have your vet scan your kitty just in case!
I did a microchip once, and the hole the needle made was so large, the micro chip came back out the hole!!! So I started telling people to come back in for a "re scan" in a few days...cant be too careful!
They are not supposed to migrate, but it does happen, obviously....they are placed in the skin between the shoulder blades, but when we scan a pet we scan the whole body...
Thanks for posting the pic!! very interesting!!!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

sequindreams

Lairian
My kitten Joey came with his microchip on the top of his left arm. It looks like it has traveled there. I've just found out microchips can move around the body. I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There are chips now that have a type of prong on them, my vet says after my question of migrating chips. Each time I take Dr. Spock, I scan him w/gun that is for our use in the waiting area.. It's always in between his shoulder blades and I can feel it easily...