Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Best Brand for Sphynx

Pinkysmommy

Lairian
I recently read about Royal Canin Sphynx, I've contacted every petstore, local and not so local, asked my vet and even called a few special order sights and no one can order this specific type of food for me. What would you recommend as second best? Pinky has horrible digestion problems and its basically explosive. Sorry for the mental image. Her vet clearly isnt familiar with her breed and honestly i think im the only person in this area with a sphynx. Just need a good food!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am not sure about in the States, as we are in Canada. But I know you guys have Petsmart down there...and the Petsmarts up here do carry the Royal Canin Sphynx.

I know from experience with our boys, they don't do well with chicken or turkey. And I've also seen that many sphynx do better on grain free food. We are currently on the Limited Ingredient Diet - Duck and Pea. Here is some info on it, it comes in wet canned food and kibble:
L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® Green Pea & Duck Dry Cat Formula | Natural Balance Pet Foods

Pinkysmommy

Lairian
I am not sure about in the States, as we are in Canada. But I know you guys have Petsmart down there...and the Petsmarts up here do carry the Royal Canin Sphynx.

I know from experience with our boys, they don't do well with chicken or turkey. And I've also seen that many sphynx do better on grain free food. We are currently on the Limited Ingredient Diet - Duck and Pea. Here is some info on it, it comes in wet canned food and kibble:

Thank you, ill definitely look into it! I called petsmart and they said because it isnt made in the states that they couldn't order it. Which makes no sense whatsoever. And to order online out of the states would cost me 80.00$ for a 9 pound bag.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Pinkysmommy there's a Royal Canin in the USA and one not in the USA. The USA Royal Canin does not make the sphynx specific breed food. If you called them looking for it, they may suggest you use the Siamese breed specific one. They told another member that a few years ago. I just don't know because my breeder used Royal Canin and of course, I continued using it and the stomach issues I had here were over the top. Eventually I switched to Science Diet Grain-Free canned and dry food as per my vet suggested it when I asked what grain-free should I try. I am extremely happy with this food, all poop firmed up, no more watery poos, rarely see blood in the litter box compared to when I used Royal Canin. The difference was night and day for my sphynx cats.

Pinkysmommy

Lairian
Thank you so much! Ive definitely got to find something quick. She has always been fine until these last 6 months and after several vet visits i realized her vet was clueless! She just needs foos that will work well with her tummy! Shes around 7 years.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
A lot of people that feed Royal Canin, feed the one just for kittens.
Then, change them over to the adult. It's just not the Royal Canin
for Sphynx. It works very well for some. Some it don't.
Just like people, every cat is different.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Maybe you can get Royal Canin Gastro Instetnal or Royal Canin Sensitive? Both are for sensitive tummy's.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Pinkysmommy , welcoming you and sweet Pinky to the lair family :)
Please be sure to post stories and pics When you get s chance.
We would love an introduction about your sweet Pinky.
Looking forward to your journey with us

Great advice given -
Often times a limited ingredient single protein food helps with tummies
Several members have good feedback about
Natural balance limited duck -

I am sure you will get great tips from members and you will find a food that works for your adorable Pinky.

All paws crossed for Pinky and a food that works for her tummy.

does Punky eat treats ? Sometimes those cause poo issues or food too high in protein or multi source protein food.

Members often give a little 100% pure pumpkin for any tummy bumm issues -
Read the label too to make sure it has just pure pumpkin and no spice additives -
It's usually on the bottom shelf of the baking aisle. If out of stock I have used the Publix brand 100 % pure pumpkin.

Attachments

Pinkysmommy

Lairian
@Pinkysmommy , welcoming you and sweet Pinky to the lair family :)
Please be sure to post stories and pics When you get s chance.
We would love an introduction about your sweet Pinky.
Looking forward to your journey with us

Great advice given -
Often times a limited ingredient single protein food helps with tummies
Several members have good feedback about
Natural balance limited

I am sure you will get great tips from members and you will find a food that works for your adorable Pinky.

All paws crossed for Pinky and a food that works for her tummy.

does Punky eat treats ? Sometimes those cause poo issues or food too high in protein or multi source protein food.

Members often give a little 100% pure pumpkin for any tummy bumm issues -
Read the label too to make sure it has just pure pumpkin and no spice additives -
It's usually on the bottom shelf of the baking aisle. If out of stock I have used the Publix brand 100 % pure pumpkin.

She doesnt eat treats much. I spoke to someone at Petco today and he recommended Canidae. Grain free and all natural, all meat is real and not processed fats. I got a small bag to see how it goes and hopefully it will work!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Pinkysmommy , I actually have fed Canidae when it was Called Felidae back in the day :) amd no website -
Most people never heard of it when I asked for it-

My allergy stricken dog is on Canidae now . it is world of difference like a new dog after switching him off Acana that was twice the price. No more skin issues and no poo issues -
I feed woofers grain free pure sky and grain inclusive duck meal and have great results like night and day-
His cost is actually blacker shinier than an Acana

**Which Canidae GF are you trying with Pinky?
Please Keep us updated om your review of it
Canidae has their own plant in Texas amd does not use the South Carolina plant but does have other plants they use on west coast
I know their grain free pure line is made out of thier own Texas plant -
You can call and confirm about their grain free kitty food amd sign up for those generous coupons mailing if you like .
(I sent you a PM )

Head kisses to Pinky

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I feed Pete Royal Canin - Sphynx food (dry) its good!
Just curious if you guys always leave the food bowl with food in it or only feed your cat a scoop or two a day? I ask as when I got Pete (Previous owner had to get rid of him) I purchased him at 6 months old and was quite small... Now I know this breed is known for that and I know he is 6 months but he was looking mighty skinny so now after 1.5 months of having him in my possession he has filled out a bit but I would like to start reducing his food intake somewhat so he doesn't become fat/over weight.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I feed Pete Royal Canin - Sphynx food (dry) its good!
Just curious if you guys always leave the food bowl with food in it or only feed your cat a scoop or two a day? I ask as when I got Pete (Previous owner had to get rid of him) I purchased him at 6 months old and was quite small... Now I know this breed is known for that and I know he is 6 months but he was looking mighty skinny so now after 1.5 months of having him in my possession he has filled out a bit but I would like to start reducing his food intake somewhat so he doesn't become fat/over weight.
@Mal, the breed has a much faster metabolism than any other cat breed. They need to eat to keep warm, to have energy, etc. I always left a full bowl of dry food out for all my cats my entire life (even furry cats). I feed canned food for breakfast and canned food again for dinner. Two of my sphynx became overweight and preferred the dry food. Being that the canned food is healthier for them, I had to take the dry food away during the day. IF everyone finishes all their breakfast and it's way, way too early for dinner, I will give them a little bit of dry food to hold them over.

But if your cat is far from overweight, please leave the dry food out for him all the time and give him canned food. I make sure that after they are finished with their dinner and it's their bedtime, I always put out the dry food for them. They eat it like there's no tomorrow and continue to pick during the night.

Also, I'm not sure where you heard that this breed is knows for being quite small. I don't have small sphynx in my house. I have a few big boys that are not fat/overweight at all and I have two with BIG bellies, I have a very tall, skinny one, and so on and so on. Some ppl have a petite female weighing let's say 5 lbs. while others have a 14 lb. male.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Really!
Well I was just concerned as Pete weighed under 4 pounds at the end of June and now he weighs 9!!!!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Really!
Well I was just concerned as Pete weighed under 4 pounds at the end of June and now he weighs 9!!!!
@Mal he's a growing boy, he needs the calories. He was too little at the age you got him. Can you see his backbone (now or when you got him)? I have a few of these babies, but one boy is very tall and too skinny if you ask me. He has a VERY fast metabolism. I feed all of them the same and I have two that are overweight! One that is just right on the smaller side compared to the others here and one that is just right, but he's a really big boy.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@GoldHazel, you could a bit closer to his tail but now not so much unless hes standing on his hind legs reaching for the blind, hehe!
I kind of figured he was too small but he has grown quite a bit but was concerned I was over feeding him. He doesnt seem to over indulge, runs to his bowl for some kibbles after some play time and then is back on his cat tower. I usually fill his bowl prior to leaving for work and its still half full when I get home from work later in the day.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Mal, you are doing just great taking care of him. He's thriving. :)

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@GoldHazel Lets see!!! Alot of Sphynx's I have came across are not "nude" alot seem to have color or even 2!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Mal, not sure what you mean! "Nude" as in nude color, not "nude" as in hairless?

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
hehe nude as color, well his certificate says "red"

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Mal there is no such things as "nude color" for a cat. Your boy IS red! LOL