Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Best Food For My Sphynx?

susi794

Staff member
Raw diet--PitRottMommy and Brooke are our resident food experts, but I use a powder mix called My Natural Cat that I add to raw protein that I get from felineinstincts online, but I'm pretty sure that PitRottMommy uses the rabbit from Nature's Variety-I believe. It's convenient in that it is already made--just take out of the freezer as you use it. I know Brooke also does raw, but not sure which kind.

susi794

Staff member
According to my food provider they don't need the dry once they get used to the raw, so you are supposed to phase it out over time--mine still want it, so I leave it out all day--my biggest cat is only 8 lbs., so weight isn't an issue for us.
If you are going to continue to feed dry, use one with no grains if you can--corn products don't sit well with cats with sensitive stomachs or food allergies. You can use the search tool to find lots of good discussions about food here on the Lair.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Susi's put it pretty straight for you, sphynxloveme, raw diet is a wonderful choice. Kibble and canned food simply don't have the health benefits that raw does and many canned and kibbled foods can be linked to toxicities, kidney problems, liver problems, dietary complications such as allergies, etc. There aren't too many companies that operate under the pretense that pets should eat food that is good for them, not just a food that keeps them alive.

If you choose to stick with canned or kibble, aim for a high quality food such as Taste of the Wild, Acana, Orijin, Merrick, Nature's Variety, etc. You want a food that is mostly protein and no fillers such as corn, wheat, soy, etc. You also want to stray away from as much "meal" as possible. Where you can, choose a protein meal over a vegetable meal (example: Chicken meal vs corn meal).

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Raw diet--PitRottMommy and Brooke are our resident food experts, but I use a powder mix called My Natural Cat that I add to raw protein that I get from felineinstincts online, but I'm pretty sure that PitRottMommy uses the rabbit from Nature's Variety-I believe. It's convenient in that it is already made--just take out of the freezer as you use it. I know Brooke also does raw, but not sure which kind.

I saw some dehydrated raw products online ; is that what you mean?

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have Mo on Hills prescription diet low allergen Z/D biscuits and chicken and pumpkin Applaws. It has taken me a while to get on top of Mos sensitive issues but we're in quite a good routine now. I would try pre prepared raw diet if it was more available in the UK. But I'm happy for now.

susi794

Staff member
No, this isn't a dehydrated food, it's a supplement that you add to the raw protein you provide--it has all the taurine and vitamins/minerals other supplements cats need to have--you add your own liver, turkey( or other protein) and fish oil according to their recipe. I tried the frozen patties--both the rabbit and the venison, and my cats refused to have anything to do with it. This food they gobble up. I make a few meals at a time and freeze until I need them, then thaw and serve. quite simple really.

Back