Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Best food options for both sphynx & mix/unknown breed cat

Joleyn

Lairian
Hi :)

I am wondering if anyone can help me out. I will be bringing home my first ever Sphynx in August.. needless to say i'm super excited :D Expect to hear a lot from me while I try and navigate how to give nothing but the best to my soon to be new baby!

I am trying to figure out the best food that will work for both the cat I have now (unknown mix breed) and our soon to be new family member. I currently have Gilbert on the Fromm brand duckenpfeffer food, I do like it how ever Gilbert has been getting slightly chunky ever since hes been on it so were looking at other options.
Our breeder currently uses the Nutrience SubZero Fraser Valley blend, I am open to switching over to that brand has anyone ever used it by chance? or could someone give me their opinions on it?

I have also been looking into the Open Farm brand dry food it seems fairly good, has anyone used this brand? Id love to hear your opinions about it.
I know it will more than likely end up being a trial and error since all cats react different, I am just looking for a really good place to start and id really like to have them both on one food. :)

I am open to other suggestions as well, I am located in Vancouver BC, Canada!

Thanks everybody!!

Food links below:

Current Food:

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I’ve never fed any of those but I did look at all the links and I like the look of the ingredient list for Nutrience.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Joleyn

Lairian
I’ve never fed any of those but I did look at all the links and I like the look of the ingredient list for Nutrience.

Thank you! I thought it looked good to, I am leaning more towards that option also because she already feeds that and if shes had success why change it up if i don't have to. I just hope both cats take to it okay!

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Well it looks yummy to me!

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Also I assume your little one was born then? Maybe you could do an introduction thread with pictures if you have any?

Joleyn

Lairian
Also I assume your little one was born then? Maybe you could do an introduction thread with pictures if you have any?

The litter was actually just born this past Friday, so we have yet to decide which baby is joining our family but as soon as we do, ill put up some photos of him/her with a little hello! :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Joleyn
so excited for you! and for us for more adorable pics! tagging @Bailey21 and other canadian members for food suggestions. I am in the US , have a bengal and sphynx, they all eat Nutrisource cat and kitten food in the blue bag for years no skin or poo issues ( the bengal has IBD and she does great on it) . No recalls . not sure if it avail in your area. my moms cat with a UTI treated, now eating it too. what is the breeder feeding? I did switch my bengal from. Fromm to the nutrisource

I just looked, they do have a search retailer on their website and see some avail in Canada . lots of good choices out there. usually it is recommend to feed what had at breeder and slow transition

here is the Nutrisource website with cat and kitten formula

Last edited:

Joleyn

Lairian
@Joleyn
so excited for you! and for us for more adorable pics! tagging @Bailey21 and other canadian members for food suggestions. I am in the US , have a bengal and sphynx, they all eat Nutrisource cat and kitten food in the blue bag for years no skin or poo issues ( the bengal has IBD and she does great on it) . No recalls . not sure if it avail in your area. my moms cat with a UTI treated, now eating it too. what is the breeder feeding? I did switch my bengal from. Fromm to the nutrisource

I just looked, they do have a search retailer on their website and see some avail in Canada . lots of good choices out there. usually it is recommend to feed what had at breeder and slow transition

here is the Nutrisource website with cat and kitten formula
Thank you so much! They apparently carry the NutriSource at the pet store right down the street from my home. I'm definitely going to check it out! Currently my breeder feeds Nutrience SubZero Fraser Valley blend. It seems like a pretty good food I may slowly switch my current cat over from, Fromm to the Nutrience brand my breeder feeds just to keep everyone on the same food and see how it goes from there!