best litter box!!! | Sphynxlair

best litter box!!!

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Tails' started by silly4lilly, Apr 11, 2009.

1. silly4lilly

silly4lillyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $490.61
    Ratings:
    +73
    hey all,

i just purchased the best litter box ever and had to share with everyone. Its called the Catgenie. You never have to touch pee, poop, or litter again. Its better for the environment than regular litter, and it is extremely sanitary. i especially recommend it if you have more than one cat, which is why we got it.

The litter box hooks up to either your toilet or laundry water inlet (very simple to do, and they supply the special valve that you need). The litter is made out of plastic pellets which get cleaned in the cleaning cycle. The bottom of the litter pan has little slits in it, so most of the pee goes down there into a cleaning solution (which you can buy scented or unscented). When your cat poops, you just hit the start button, and an arm comes down, picks up the poop and drops it in a "hopper". from there, it grinds the poop into liquid and disposes of it either in your toilet (which then you have to flush) or down your laundry pipe.

Then, it fills up with water and cleaning solution 3 times, and disposes of it. it then drys the plastic pellets with warm air. my cat usually sits in it when its done drying because the pellets are warm

the solution lasts 60 flushes. after that you have to re-order from the catgenie website, or i get it from amazon.com or e-bay.

If the cat genie is running and your cat has to use the box, it has "eyes" which will pause the system so your cat use it.

check it out!!!

www.catgenie.com

2. ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLocoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,464.20
    Ratings:
    +993
    That sounds fantastic. I clean up after ButterBall every time he goes. I used to dread his poops because they would stink up the house something fierce. His stink has lessened up quite a bit though. Now that I have the poo stink under control his urine is has started smelling. I can't win. I'm definitely going to check this out. I hope it's not too pricey. On the other hand, it may be worth it.

3. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $371.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    I had just seen that a few weeks ago and was considering getting it for Meecho. It's great to hear such a great testimony before I actually bought it. Cleaning the litter is the one thing I HATE! I'm actually thinking of potty training Meecho. They say it's pretty easy to do.

4. ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLocoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,464.20
    Ratings:
    +993
    Holy frijoles Batman. That's a little out of my price range. I was reading reviews on Petsmart.com. That's the highest rated self cleaning litter box by far. It probably should be with that price tag. It looks cool when it's running. I really really want one, I just can't afford it right now. I'm unemployed but I have some interviews set up this week.

5. ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,132.16
    Ratings:
    +3,086
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    So was it hard to hook up?

6. sassyskye79

sassyskye79Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $563.08
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sooo happy to hear this. I wanted to get one but was unsure if it really worked!!! I'm so getting one.....Now I will for sure get another little kitty. I just was worried about scooping after 2 cats!:tinysmile_grin_t:

7. silly4lilly

silly4lillyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $490.61
    Ratings:
    +73
    it wasnt hard to hook up. the tube goes right into the toilet. I would rather have it hooked up to my laundry line but one of my cats wont jump up there to use it. The only bad thing about it is that its pretty big and they get the litter everywhere... but, thats with any litter they have even used the past, it always gets stuck in their paws!! it is expensive but def. worth it. i put 2 pics in my album, i wasnt sure how to upload in the forum.

8. silly4lilly

silly4lillyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $490.61
    Ratings:
    +73
    [​IMG]

hook up line to the toilet

9. ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,132.16
    Ratings:
    +3,086
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    Well it looks good the only problem I would have is that my bathrooms are not big enough, and it looks like you have to leave the lid up on the toilet all the time? Then my dog would drink out of it and eat the litter! :tinysmile_aha_t:

10. silly4lilly

silly4lillyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $490.61
    Ratings:
    +73
    LOL. You can close the top of the toilet. the hose goes underneath the seat. it is pretty big though, a little smaller than a toilet.

11. mynakedcat

mynakedcatLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $0.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a catgenie and my cat hates it! He started peeing in the corner of my basement until I purchased a regular box and cat litter. The granules are plastic and some cats don't like them. I would only buy this box if my cat was just born and didn't know anything else.

12. Luvmysphynx

LuvmysphynxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +62
    I have a Cat Genie and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I use to swear by the Littermaid, but you still have to clean that and empty it out, plus the dusty clumping litter didn't agree with Oogie! I bought a Litter Genie and will never go back, it was pretty easy to set up, and Oogie loves it as much as I do!! Right now Cali and Halo are being kept seperated until they settle in a bit and I can have a full vet check up done on them just to be safe, but will probably be buying a 2nd Cat Genie and putting one in my washroom!

13. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $371.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    Maybe I should have just gotten a self cleaning litter box instead of this whole toilet training thing. I mean in the long run I'm sure I'll appreciate the toilet training since I won't have to buy kitty litter anymore but.....OMG this is soooooooooooo gross and messy!!!!!!!!!!!!:Hysterical:

14. kerrie78

kerrie78Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $475.00
    Ratings:
    +89
    I thought about toilet training but my dogs drink out of the toilet since they are messy drinkers it is the only way to keep water from going everywhere. Then I thought... they won't be able to flush the toilet so.... YUK .

15. eva_jae

eva_jaeLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $389.00
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been thinking about toilet training too! How is it going?

16. aprilb1

aprilb1Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $340.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try following the acclimation tips in the guide? They might just be picky but eventually you can get them using it.

17. aprilb1

aprilb1Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $340.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    They recently came out with a new version of this, the CatGenie 120. The cartridges now last up to 120 washes and it tells you exactly how many are left. Also it has a cat activation feature so the cleaning cycle goes off shortly after it senses your cat has used the box.

18. silly4lilly

silly4lillyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $490.61
    Ratings:
    +73
    luvmysphynx, do your cats go in the litter box right after the cycle is done? milky has been going in there when the cycle is done and the box and litter are nice and warm. she actually will lay down in it and sleep. it drives me crazy because all the litter sticks to her belly and she drags it around the house. my other sphynx, river, does not do this so i was just curious if yours do?

19. lovinsphynx

lovinsphynxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +16
    Automatic litter box

I am going to purchase an automatic litter box and i was wondering what the best kind to get was. I have five cats so i will be getting more than one but i am looking for something that we require less cleaning and smell, i clean my four litter boxes everyday and change them every other day right now and i want something that will make it easier on me.

20. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +442
    Re: Automatic litter box

I have the ScoopFree Automatic box (http://www.scoopfree.com)

I absolutely LOVE this box, but I have a couple of complaints. First, the litter tray refills are kinda pricey (anywhere from $12-$15 each). It uses the litter crystals, but I was using those before I got this box, so I'm okay with that - i happen to love the crystals! They say the litter trays last up to a month with one cat. I was lucky if I got 3 weeks out of it with Walter. When I brought Helen in, I was lucky to get 2 full weeks out of one tray...so, you can see how the cost would really add up. For me, I'm looking at $30/month x 12 months for litter trays = $360 a year to buy the refills. For you, it would be at least twice that!!

BUT, someone came out with a solution! If you decide to go with this automatic box, definitely spring the extra $40 and buy the "Forever Litter Tray" from amazon. It's a plastic tray that replaces the cardboard refills, so you just buy the litter crystals and refill it yourself.

So, instead of sliding the cardboard tray out, carrying it to the trash can and then putting in a new tray, I slide the forever tray out and dump it in the trash, refill the tray and slide it back in. It's the same process, really, but cheaper and with less waste for the environment, too. Plus, the cardboard ones can leak, and this plastic tray does not.

The good thing about this automatic box...I've never had any trouble with poo getting stuck on the rake, I've had it for a year and it's never given me any problems whatsoever. And seriously, no smell comes out of this thing. :ThumbsUp: I ran out of refill trays a while back and had to bring my regular litter box back into the house until I could find the refills, and holy cow, did I notice a difference.

I hope that helps! Someday I'll get the Cat Genie *sigh*, but this one is great until then. :Laugh: