Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Best Litter Box

Kelly300514

Lairian
I have a sphynx who doesn't cover his poop and I have a Maine coon. Between the two the litter box gets extremely smelly really fast. I live in an apartment and it's not that big and I'll be sitting on the couch and can smell when they poop from the next room. People come over and it's embarrassing. I can't run to the litter box at the exact moment they go to the bathroom every time they do. Is there a good litter box system you would suggest? Or some type of solution? Currently I use a large litter box with a dome top and use tidy cat litter with glade scent and regularly spray a deoterizer I purchased that has baking soda in it.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Does your litter box have a door on it?? I would suggest one with a door, thats what I have for my lil guy and it seems to help
with the smell.

I have one those automated/timed Glade Air Fresheners that shoots out a small spritz of air freshenever about every 30 minutes and also helps reduce the stink as Petes litter box is in my laundry room which is to the right of my door so when guests come over they could potentially smell litter first thing when they show up so I try to avoid that with the automated air freshener.

Kelly300514

Lairian
I am going to check out some of these suggestions. Thank you all who have commented so far. I live in my own apartment right off of my college campus and it's not so big. I have the smallest kitchen, small bathroom, and a good sized dining room, family room , and bedroom. Unfortunately that doesn't give me a good option of a place to put the litter box since I don't have a laundry room or mud room or anything.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I know the topic has been beat to death, but...

If you change to a raw diet you can't smell the stools AT ALL. Crazy, but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
It would cost about $0.50-$1.50 per meal for a single cat eating 2 meals per day (depending on the meat). That's $1-3 daily for food. Thank goodness they don't eat a whole lot. Kibble is about $0.80-2.40 per day (depending on the GOOD brand). So yes, it is a bit more expensive but really not that much, especially if you don't have 16 cats to feed.

I totally understand any hesitation and won't bother you again with the information. I just want you to think about it. :)

If you think about it and are intrigued please contact me via pm. I've been doing it for about a year and have trust in my source for meat. I would also be happy to work with you on cutting down on any added work you may be worried about.

StacyM

Lairian
It would cost about $0.50-$1.50 per meal for a single cat eating 2 meals per day (depending on the meat). That's $1-3 daily for food. Thank goodness they don't eat a whole lot. Kibble is about $0.80-2.40 per day (depending on the GOOD brand). So yes, it is a bit more expensive but really not that much, especially if you don't have 16 cats to feed.

I totally understand any hesitation and won't bother you again with the information. I just want you to think about it. :)

If you think about it and are intrigued please contact me via pm. I've been doing it for about a year and have trust in my source for meat. I would also be happy to work with you on cutting down on any added work you may be worried about.

Hi there!
I am very curious about what you are feeding you sphynx? What would a day look like? I just ordered the Robot litter box ($500) due to the smell our kitten puts off after using the restroom. Thank you for your info.

Back