Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Best litter for male Sphynx

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You might not only look for litter to control smell, but perhaps water bowls/fountains to increase their water intake. We have had luck with a water fountain.

Francipants

Lairian
You might not only look for litter to control smell, but perhaps water bowls/fountains to increase their water intake. We have had luck with a water fountain.
Hi-thank you....we do have water available throughout the house and he drinks plenty-had a Drinkwell but they didn’t like it. Will continue with the litter search...

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My recommendation is ignore those scented litters and get a litter that clumps really well so you can remove the clumps without pieces breaking off. And be sure you have enough litter in the box to absorb all the urine until you can scoop it.

A note on plastic litter pan liners - I've been using this to keep the boxes cleaner but I don't recommend it. Sometimes the cats tear the liner and then the urine goes underneath and that's when you can definitely smell it. The urine has to stay in contact with the litter for the litter to be able to do its thing.

I've been very happy with grass litters. If you are interested there are 3 brands that I know of - SmartCat, Frisco and SoPhresh.

Francipants

Lairian
My recommendation is ignore those scented litters and get a litter that clumps really well so you can remove the clumps without pieces breaking off. And be sure you have enough litter in the box to absorb all the urine until you can scoop it.

A note on plastic litter pan liners - I've been using this to keep the boxes cleaner but I don't recommend it. Sometimes the cats tear the liner and then the urine goes underneath and that's when you can definitely smell it. The urine has to stay in contact with the litter for the litter to be able to do its thing.

I've been very happy with grass litters. If you are interested there are 3 brands that I know of - SmartCat, Frisco and SoPhresh.
Thanks so much-I will check out the litters....he does have a tendency to pee on the side on the box (inside, but on the side)....

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh my boy does that too : (

One more recommendation - there are some litters that include BioChar (some people say this is good for odor control) and I just googled and discovered there's another grass litter that also has BioChar - it's called Our Pets Switchgrass Natural Cat Litter with BioChar. I've never tried this one but it's got decent reviews.

All the grass litters are 100% natural by the way.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Francipants , you will get many god litter recommendations from members .
I have 3 neutered males and a spayed female .

I personally stay away from scented litters bcz of the gag factor when pouring and scooping as well as to ward of possible allergic reactions to scented litters . Some get yeasty too from wheat litters.

For years I used Dr elseys unscented litter. Many members use Dr elseys

Recently found a very close dupe for dr elseys at petsupermarket.... I get in store and often on sale amd can use coupons off your phone and rewards.
Not sure if s store near you.
Fresh for life odor destroyer in the 40 lb bag or smaller bag there too (not the one in the plastic bucket ..it’s not the same litter )

It clumps great and doesn’t stick to the bottom of the box like concrete .

My one boy pees high in the inside of the box . So I opted for larger boxes .
I found Two large litter boxes they like , and never have pee outside the box .

1. The good pet stuff hidden litter box ( I don’t use the decorative moss )

2. Catit jumbo litter box ( I like the lid folds bsck for east scooping )

I scoop several times a day and found the metal scooper works great compared to plastic ones always broke.

After the last scooping of the day , I freshen with a few cups of fresh litter .

Keep us updated on which litter you find works best

Hugs n head smooches

Attachments

• 711FAB35-9FE9-4D83-9890-3E27DFA64E17.jpeg
    711FAB35-9FE9-4D83-9890-3E27DFA64E17.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 022A4127-EFF9-4E42-B47E-454F2BC831AD.jpeg
    022A4127-EFF9-4E42-B47E-454F2BC831AD.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Francipants two of my males are tall...
They prefer larger boxes
Here are their two favorites
*** I remove the door flap

I do not use the decorative moss it comes with

These boxes for and either of the litters works good.
I think the main thing is regularly scooping as well as washing out the boxes every few weeks

Back