Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Best Litter Systems?

kelsheyyx

Lairian
So I haven't been on here in forever, but lately I've seen various commercials for the cat genie self cleaning litter box.

based on research of it and reading tons of reviews, I've already decided it's probably not for me and bane.

most of the time, banes poop is very soft. **is this common with sphinx cats?** unrelated, he has been having diarrhea lately (I think it's from eating my dogs food), so a lot of this litter research is based on the TERRIBLE smell/mess I've been cleaning daily.

anyway, right now I use world's best cat litter, which I like because I feel it lacks that normal litter smell and dust. however, I have noticed that it doesn't seem to clump well when he pees.

he uses the litter box a lot, and often the clumps don't even have a chance to harden before he pees again, so I'm left trying to scoop damp litter, which jusr falls apart and makes a bigger and smellier mess.

now I realize I'm just ranting. basically I use want to know what litter system do you guys use and what are the pros and cons?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So I haven't been on here in forever, but lately I've seen various commercials for the cat genie self cleaning litter box.

based on research of it and reading tons of reviews, I've already decided it's probably not for me and bane.

most of the time, banes poop is very soft. **is this common with sphinx cats?** unrelated, he has been having diarrhea lately (I think it's from eating my dogs food), so a lot of this litter research is based on the TERRIBLE smell/mess I've been cleaning daily.

anyway, right now I use world's best cat litter, which I like because I feel it lacks that normal litter smell and dust. however, I have noticed that it doesn't seem to clump well when he pees.

he uses the litter box a lot, and often the clumps don't even have a chance to harden before he pees again, so I'm left trying to scoop damp litter, which jusr falls apart and makes a bigger and smellier mess.

now I realize I'm just ranting. basically I use want to know what litter system do you guys use and what are the pros and cons?
A bit of pumpkin (not the pie filter type) added to the food (1 table spoon usually) may help with the soft poo as long as there is no underlying health issue. Here is a great poll on litter that may be of use - What brand cat litter do you use?. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kelsheyyx , hello and head smooches to Bane!
Yes , when they steal other food or get different treats I notice it can change poo in an instant
- the Libbys 100% pure pumpkin - no spices may help

As for litter system I like the catit jumbo amd Dr elseys precious cat litter In the blue bag .
Hypo allergenic , 99.9 % dust free , clumps very well immediately -
Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter, 40-lb bag

- I always take door off enclosed litter boxes - and cut off the bag holder lip edge on this one
(My boys tail was vibrating on the edge corner when he tinkled up front in the box)

Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan, Grey

(I get all my supplies at chewy free shipping over $49 , 1st time customer discount , free bag of food on many brands including tiki cat canned food etc just call and ask- they have awesome 100% satisfaction guarantee)

I have tall male cats and they wee stays in the box with this one - it's big! They can turn around dig to China!
Best box to date here along with the good pet stuff hidden litter box looks like a planter I face towards corner *+ do not use the green moss it comes with they can chew!)
Around $64 online various places
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/go...ku=AQUL002-1&gclid=CJf7s47r6ssCFdgOgQodP04KEw

For the small bathroom I use dr elseys in the large Vaness litter box - the taller thinner one fits between the toilet -
Van Ness Pureness Enclosed Cat Litter Pan, Large White

It's nice and tall in the back for male cats that stand and pee-

*** mine pee a lot too -make sure it is just from healthy water drinking and not the start of a urinary infection / crystals

- the tell tale sign of it is very noticeable - lots of trips to pee , sense of urgency, in and out of the box right away with little or no pee output - just doe,thing to watch for with kitties especially males

Bane probably just healthy pees like my boys and the Dr elseys litter works great

Hope to see pics of Bane !
Good to see you on the lair!

Last edited:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Most of those self cleaning litter pans, get poo hung up on the rake.
Or will sometimes start the cleaning process with the cat in them.
That causes litter box problems.
In my option, it's not worth it. My Sister has tried everyone that has ever been
made. Always back to the plain litter box. The pumpkin is a great way
to help. If it doesn't you might want to have your baby checked for Guardia.
I probably would have him checked anyway. Take a sample.
Then, next thing if all that is a No. You might have to slowly change food.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If the pumpkin is a bit of a drag, then I'd suggest starting with 1/8 tsp of psyllium husk powder once a day. Max and Min both eat so much raw (which is very hydrating) that they both need a little extra bulk to firm up their stool. I was using pumpkin for a while, but every day was a bit much for me. Pumpkin, however, is GREAT for resolving temporary issues. Start with pumpkin and if you think bulk is needed daily, try the psyllium.

As for litter boxes... I find a good clay litter in an old fashioned huge box the best. Dr. Esley's is amazing!

Good luck and nice to see you posting. Hugs.