Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bet you didn't see this one coming

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Clumping cat litter!

I use to use this although i don't anymore, it acts as a cement and can actually be uses to grout and what not, if you kitty ingest it which they do when they clean themselves after using the litter box, it can clog up their intestines and cause all kinds of problems and even could be fatal. It also is a major culprit of UTI's in cats!!!

go figure

:Dizzy:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is the reason I do not use clumping litter.
My vet told me that years ago when Stripe my cat I lost to CRF would eat litter.
I use Yesterdays News.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Clumping cat litter!

I use to use this although i don't anymore, it acts as a cement and can actually be uses to grout and what not, if you kitty ingest it which they do when they clean themselves after using the litter box, it can clog up their intestines and cause all kinds of problems and even could be fatal. It also is a major culprit of UTI's in cats!!!

Clumping cat litter is only a problem if your cat consistently eats it. A higher risk lies within a very small kitten as compared to an adult--even then, most are pretty good about not consuming it and it will fall out of a haircoat and generally does not stick in large amounts to furless feet. I've worked in veterinary medicine for 8 years and I have never seen an impaction from clumping litter. The risk does not lie within a cat grooming itself, it lays in a cat with a condition known as Pica. It does not affect a healthy cat, especially those that display no signs. It affects a cat that sits in a litterbox and eats the litter. If that is happening, your companion needs to see the vet--it's a condition that needs to be diagnosed and is not normal.

The risk of UTIs lays directly in how clean a litterbox is. When a cat goes to the bathroom, it will grow bacteria. If their genitals touch the same spot, the likelihood of introduction of bacteria is present. However, we're talking about bacteria traveling a good 4" for a male cat and 5"+ in a female cat. Remember, dogs get UTIs too (its actually more common in female dogs than in either sex of cat) and they do NOT use clumping litter.

Here is information regarding chronic urinary disorders in cats. No mention of cat litter being the cause: http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthfus.htm

A true concern for clumping litter, however, is an URI as most litters are quite dusty. This can be an eye and mucous membrane irritant for cats. However, other litters (just like clumping litter) are not without their own risks. Of course, nothing is. We still use clumping cat litter because of the convenience and odor control. The only complaint I have is how heavy it is...I cannot load all the cat litter we buy and must make a run to the store with Jason in tow in order to get what we need.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
omg it is so heavy but I guess all large litter bags or box would be, I am very happy to have A 14 year old son to carry for me, it's funny when he was smaller he would try to carry all the large things around the store while we where there and now he's like oh come on mom more cat litter:Exclamation: he is A great help though!

PitRottMommy

Banned
I think our litterbags are easily 40-50#. I never can remember and they're plastic bags (I guess that's better than a box). I lift 90# dogs at work and have trouble with a 50# bag of litter, what's the story there?? Perhaps I've just been spoiled with Jason lugging everything around. My grandmother has even taken benefit of this when we come over...she calls him "muscles". lol.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've heard this before - I use to use clumping litter and a Littermaid with my regular cats before I fell in love with Sphynx - Tried that with Oogie, but he's got a very sensitive respitory track , I now use a Cat Genie, so dusty litter isn't a problem :)

Funnaturechic

Lairian
Hi,
I am using the Breeze litter box. It has pellets instead of any type of litter that has dust. It's super! The cat's urine goes through the pellets and through a grate to a pad beneath. The pad is in a tray that the cat never touches. The poop sits on top and can be covered somewhat. In my case, it's fine. I can scoop the poop daily. Otherwise, I only change the pad when needed.

This is by far, the cleanest litter situation I have ever used over 15 years. It's much better odorw-wise and there is no dust!!! I love that the cat is healthier using this too.

Finding the supplies with the low prices is someting I am working on. I have found them at Target and Walmart. If I find a great source online and inexpensively, I will let you know.

Smiles,
Christina R. and Binky

gizmo6370

Banned
I use Cat's Best it is also clumping ...but i never use clumping cat litter with little kittens....because when they are getting potty trained....they will try and taste the litter...and you don't always see everything....:Surprise:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lemmy also uses Tidy Cats and has not had a problem. I will start to keep a better eye on him though. I don' t want him to get sick!!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I currently use Catsan but have found some of the litters spoken about on other threads on the zooplus website so am going to give them a try.

X

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've used Tidy Cats with all of my kitties and have never had any issues. "Knocks on wood".

I'm a Tidy Cat fan, too. It clumps really well and really controls the odor. Plus, my cats seem to like using it more than some of the other litters out there.

zoes mom

Lairian
After trying so many types, finally I've found the best so far great clumping and made of corn World's best multi cat formula:ThumbsUp: I know those clear type balls look cool to try but it is just so different than the texture they are use to, that I know they would protest.

zoes mom

Lairian
I was just reading some of the older post's about litter being so friggin heavy ...well I forgot to mention the happiest moment was when I realized just how much lighter the" world's best" litter is compared to the regular clay stuff!!! Doesn't take me much to make my day :LOL::Laugh:

Lulu Bird

Lairian
I am using Feline Pine clumping litter right now... it's great because it's SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT YAY! But it does no good for stinky poo odor control, works good for urine though. It's safe to flush and it is biodegradable and there are no perfumes. I just ordered a new cat litter for my store that is similar but the reviews say it's better for odors than Feline Pine - I will let you all know if it's amazing.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've changed to Worlds Best and am a complete convert!!! it's great and it's lightweight!!! OMG I sound like a commercial!! :LOL:

X

gizmoismyboy

Lairian
we use Fresh Step clumping litter and really dont have any problems. We tried other litters and these 3 prisses wont use it. They will pee and poop around the boxes. they shake whatever is in their paws out as soon as they come out of the garage. We have never seen any of our guys try to eat the litter. thank god !! :LOL:

Back