Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Big problem, fleas on my sphynx!

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Re: New Cat tree.. Big problem!

SphynxSophia- I feel horrible for you, going through this! I hope that you can get the problem solved ASAP and ALthough the previous owner of the tree probably already knew there were fleas on it, I think that was really good of you to tell her about it.

Mini Hijack here:
Nofuratu's Mama, do you know how long those flea treatments are good for, if the blister pack is unopened and stored at room temperature in the dark? I can't find an expiration date on them anywhere.

sphynxsophia

Lairian

OK, I get what you mean..I assumed they were breeding in the tree and then feeding on her so even though I was picking them off her, they were still breeding int eh tree so I needed to kill the tree ones first so they wouldnt feed on her.. Make sense?

Yea, we are torchered. Im gonna swing by a vets office today and get some med for her. I meant to do it yesterday but my husband deploys Monday so its been so crazy. I am also going to bomb monday just for safe keeping. All live animals and people will NOT be in the house, not even plants, so no worries.. I just wanna go WW3 on these stupid buggers.

The lady I bought the tree from wrote me back but honestly, I dont like people being mean so I didnt read it. I was trying to be helpful and I could tell she took it personally and I just dont care to deal with that. I would feel awful if I sold something to someone that started an infestation and hurt their family and pets. But not everyone is as compassionate as myself.

Is there a certain LEVEL of advantage? I mean, I remember when I bought for my dog there were like regular and plus.. is it the same for cats?

And after i treat her for the next few months, do I need to continue to treat her for the rest of her life? Is it better to be on the safe side or is it unecessary and this is like an isolated incident?

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

OK, I get what you mean..I assumed they were breeding in the tree and then feeding on her so even though I was picking them off her, they were still breeding int eh tree so I needed to kill the tree ones first so they wouldnt feed on her.. Make sense?

Yea, we are torchered. Im gonna swing by a vets office today and get some med for her. I meant to do it yesterday but my husband deploys Monday so its been so crazy. I am also going to bomb monday just for safe keeping. All live animals and people will NOT be in the house, not even plants, so no worries.. I just wanna go WW3 on these stupid buggers.

The lady I bought the tree from wrote me back but honestly, I dont like people being mean so I didnt read it. I was trying to be helpful and I could tell she took it personally and I just dont care to deal with that. I would feel awful if I sold something to someone that started an infestation and hurt their family and pets. But not everyone is as compassionate as myself.

Is there a certain LEVEL of advantage? I mean, I remember when I bought for my dog there were like regular and plus.. is it the same for cats?

And after i treat her for the next few months, do I need to continue to treat her for the rest of her life? Is it better to be on the safe side or is it unecessary and this is like an isolated incident?

Hmm, not sure if Advantage has a plus. I know Frontline has it for cats & dogs. That is the brand that I use.:Smile:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Before I forget, FLEAS SPREAD TAPEWORM, so you might want to ask your vet for tapeworm meds. Your vet will need an accurate weight for your cat. Or you can wait and see if your cat develops tapeworm. If it does, they will shed a rice like thing once a month. If you do treat for tapeworm, you have to wait for the fleas to be completely gone! It only takes one flea bite to spread tapes, so treating before the flea problem is solved is just a waste of tapeworm meds.

I understand now that maybe we were getting our wires crossed...LOL....and most people think the same as you were....about treating the enviroment being more important than treating the pet....and thats a normal assumption! But it works the opposite way around.

Sorry you are going through this during such a busy time! You must be super stressed out!!!

Talk to your vet about the advantage and whether there is a plus or not. Ive been out of the field for 10 yrs so am not as up to date on that. I know here in Canada it is just advantage, with no plus. But I have seen commercials on tv, that have a plus and I think that means it treats ticks as well. You dont need to worry about ticks, thats an outdoor pet thing. Ticks live in long grasses. Otherwise, no, there is no level that is stronger, its all the same.

It is up to you if you want to keep doing flea prevention from now on. I only use advantage if my pets get fleas, treat for 2-3 months and then stop. Prior to this year, I hadnt had my pets get fleas for about 6 yrs. I dont have a lot of free cash, and prefer to wait and see if I get fleas, and then treat.
Some people like to do flea prevention during flea season every year. Flea season depends on your area. In atlantic Canada it is July to Oct, which Oct being the worst month for fleas. Ask your vet what your area is.

The only way your pet will get fleas, unless it goes outside, is if someone brings them into your house, or if you go to someones house and they have fleas. They hop on a persons clothes and come home. If you have kids or other animals coming and going out of peoples houses and your own home then you might consider staying on flea prevention. It really is a personal choice...and depends on your and your pets lifestyle.

Theres also an injection you can get for your cat. it lasts 6 months and kills just the eggs. It costs about $40 I think. Its good for preventing flea infestations because although it doesnt kill the adults, it stops them from multiplying. So thats good if you dont have fleas, but are worried about getting them in the future. If you allready have fleas....then you need advantage.

Also, bombing your house while you are gone travelling with your cat is probably a good idea. Since advantage works by having the fleas hop on the cat in order to die, if your cat isnt home, the only thing killing them is starvation...and it takes them a long time to starve. And if you do have fleas in your house when you get back, your cat being treated with advantage will finish taking care of the problem, since whatever is left behind will be hungry! So you are probably doing a good thing by getting a flea bomb if your house will be vacant.
Good luck, and I hope your days get a little better!!! And keep vacuming and emptying the canister.

Adventures of A Naked Cat

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

SphynxSophia- I feel horrible for you, going through this! I hope that you can get the problem solved ASAP and ALthough the previous owner of the tree probably already knew there were fleas on it, I think that was really good of you to tell her about it.

Mini Hijack here:
Nofuratu's Mama, do you know how long those flea treatments are good for, if the blister pack is unopened and stored at room temperature in the dark? I can't find an expiration date on them anywhere.

From what I remember I dont think advantage has an expiry date!! I think revolution does because it has heartworm meds in it. But I think Advantage is good for years...as long as its not left in a hot car or frozen or anything.

sphynxsophia

Lairian

OK, the only vet open on Saturday did not carry Advantage. THey did have Frontline plus so i bought a single dose of that. It says it will kill them within 12 hours. well its been 36 and she still has them! I put it on her while she was eating to ensure she wasnt paying attention. I spotted it down her neck and spine and then a little int he patches where they were existing.. They are still hanging out in the patches! So woudl it be safe to treat her again on Tuesday and bomb the house while the kids are in school? Im going crazy. I got bit by one today and it hurt! Im itching myself and i swear I feel them crawling in my hair! Im ticked that I paid $20 for a vial and its not working!!! I paid $20 for some spray and its not working!! We are miserable! My husband is going to end up taking fleas to Iraq with him!

sphynxsophia

Lairian

The problems keep on coming.. Apparently Sophia licked the frontline off. And now she is throwing up. started about 2 hours after we put it on her Saturday, let it dry, and then apparently she cleaned herself. now she throws up when she eats. AHHHHHHHHH! The vet says that frontline (or any topical) probably wont work because shes FURLESS. She wants me to put Sophia on a bland boiled chicken/babyfood diet to help her tummy and then start using tablets. I am going to bomb tomorrow and give her a good Dawn bath before we leave the house as its pointless if she is still housing them.. When it rains it pours!

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Sorry to read that those stinking fleas won't leave you and Sophia alone! Hope the bombing will help.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Sorry I have no experience with frontline...wish I could help...

I dont know why your vet would say that no topical would work because she doesnt have fur...thats just silly. It travels along the top of the skin....not the fur.

I would try to get advantage from another vet and apply that. If she licks it it will just make her drool like crazy and not make her sick.
You will still see fleas jumping on her though, because they have to jump on her to come in contact with the medicine....and from the sounds of it you have a LOT of fleas.

I have also heard about a method of killing fleas that involves a green light and a bowl of water....I think raid makes the kit for fleas. They are attracted to green light, and then they drown in the water when they jump towards the light.

I hope things get better for you soon!!!

sphynxsophia

Lairian

I heard hot soapy water so I tried that last night and notta. Yes, we are miserable. cant sit anywhere without being eaten alive! Im bombing in about 45 minutes. Im going to give Sophia a Dawn bath and run her outta the house. The thing Im scared of... That they might be in my car since thats how we trasported the tree home and then its all a lost cause! Ahh. Ive never ever dealt with something like this. It makes me feel unclean. Please cross fingers and paws that this will end. I havent slept well in over a week!

:Angry:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

I wish you the best of luck today!!!! Make sure you have enough bombs for the square foot of your home. It sounds like you need more than one.
I would give Sophia a bath and keep checking her before you bring her back in the house. I would also clean your car and maybe some flea spray in it.
Also don't forget the kids rooms, any stuffed animals ect. need to be washed or put in a black bag for a few days to kill them.

sphynxsophia

Lairian

Ok. I dawn washed fiFi.. which was a nightmare. She was worse than usual! I used 3 cans of bomb. each can covers 4000sq ft so thats 12000sq ft and my house is only 1800 so I think im good! :) I also capstarred Sophia as she still has a few on her paws she wouldnt let me get. We hung out in the car with my sons gecko in the backseat. LOL.. While we were sitting there, apparently someone was staring in my window and suddenly yells "IS THAT A HAIRLESS CAT!?". Yep. To which she motioned her Boyfriend over who told me my cat looks evil. Anyways, so 2 hours pass. sophia is flealess! Came in, aired out house for 30 minutes, and crossing paws that those suckers are history! Hot washing all linens and stuffed animals. This $40 cat tree has cost me $147!!! Take it from me, buy a new one, moan and groan over the labor, but be thankful is comes flea free!

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Ok. I dawn washed fiFi.. which was a nightmare. She was worse than usual! I used 3 cans of bomb. each can covers 4000sq ft so thats 12000sq ft and my house is only 1800 so I think im good! :) I also capstarred Sophia as she still has a few on her paws she wouldnt let me get. We hung out in the car with my sons gecko in the backseat. LOL.. While we were sitting there, apparently someone was staring in my window and suddenly yells "IS THAT A HAIRLESS CAT!?". Yep. To which she motioned her Boyfriend over who told me my cat looks evil. Anyways, so 2 hours pass. sophia is flealess! Came in, aired out house for 30 minutes, and crossing paws that those suckers are history! Hot washing all linens and stuffed animals. This $40 cat tree has cost me $147!!! Take it from me, buy a new one, moan and groan over the labor, but be thankful is comes flea free!

YAY! ! ! Fleas be GONE!:Hysterical:

sphynxsophia

Lairian

Ok. im trying not to freak out but I found one on her and then it jumped off and is now running rampant! The bombing says it works for 7 months.. is that continuous? Like, will it kill any that osmehow get introduced in case they didnt die? Also, the castar says it can take up to 12 hours.. So if they jump on her, will it work for up to 12 hours or does it just work for the ones that were already hanging out on her?

I know that one that was on her was not on her when we came int he house so it must have somehow survived the bombing!?

Gryffindor

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Oh man...I haven't been following this being busy the past few days and then adding all of the Draco stuff in, lol. I'm so sorry to hear that this became such an ordeal! I've never had to deal with fleas at all, and hopefully never will. Seems like an utter nightmare. Best of luck...

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian

Oh gosh, I would never say getting rid of them will be so difficult, especially that she is hairless. My mums golden had fleas once and we immediately killed them with fronline. Keeping my fingers crossed for your success. Don`t give up ! Fight ! :ThumbsUp:

sphynxsophia

Lairian

They bury themselves deep, in the wrinkles atop her tail and between her fingers and toes. I havent found one in the last few hours though altho we did find a few in my car. However, Sophia wont be in the car anytime soon so hoping they starve! I plan to have it detailed next week.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

If you can find a vet that sells advantage I would still treat her with that as well.
I would think that if the bombing says 7 nmonths then it works for 7 months...I hope so!!!!
Will be thinking of you guys! Sorry you are having such a horrible time...

sphynxsophia

Lairian

I have come across about 6 fleas since the bombing. three on her and 3 on me. I capstarred her again. Dont kno how they survived the bombing...

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

How many bombs did you use? If you did not do every room or have enough bombs per square foot some will live and reproduce and it will be just as bad all over again.

This is something we dealt with years ago and the only way to be rid of them was to take all our pets to a groomer for a flea treatment and cleaning and have an exterminator come in and do the entire inside and yard of our home. But first you have to clean everything and have everything I mean everything off the floor, toys, cloths, pretty much all but the furniture.
Strip all the bedding and wash, along with all throw rugs.
If you miss just one they will continue. You have already spent alot on time and money during this, I would just do it all at once including the car and be rid of them for good!

Good luck!

Last edited:

sphynxsophia

Lairian

1 can = 4000 sq feet. Three in the box= 12000 sq feet. House = 1800 sq ft. so like 6 times the necessary amount..

All bedding has been washed in ultra hot sanitary mode.

ive already treated her.. 3 times in fact.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

Gosh, what about the car? You said you saw some in the car yesterday. Have you been in and out of it? If so they could of hitched a ride with you.
Have you vacuumed every day sine the bomb? If not you are going to have to start over. Unfortunately, even the very best flea bombs that money can buy will not be able to reach a flea that is in the pupa stage. When a flea is in this stage of the life cycle, it emerges as a “pre-adult” when it is exposed to air and vibrations. Here’s where the vacuum comes in! It creates a suction that makes the flea “hatch” and then sucks it right up into the vacuum cleaner. The life cycle is about 21 days, so vacuuming the entire house from top to bottom every day for 1 days after the bomb should do the trick.

I sure hope you can get to the bottom of this soon. It must me so nerve racking :ThumbsDown:

Back