Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bio of my whole family :)

Shauntay

Banned
In a previous post, "Ilovemysphynx" suggested I give a bit more history about my gang.... and when it comes to talking about my family I dont need much of an invitation to get me started! So here it goes!!

First there came Bacardi. He goes by the alias of Mistah (like Mistah Lovah Lovah). He was a rescue, and feral. If any of you havent dealt with a feral cat yet....ohhh boy. His littermates and himself were separated from their mother at 4 weeks. As you all know, during the period of time a kitten stays with their mother, they learn many behavioral traits, socialization etc. Mistah didnt get any of this. He was the most adorable blue kitten in the world, and probably the most aggresive. I have several scars from him. Walking down the hallway in the middle of night was a dangerous thing. A demon would spring from a shadowed doorway and attack the hell out of your legs and feet. We had several severe punctures and infected bites. Going near his food as well as feeding him was also very dangerous. And we nearly got banished from our vet! So much terror for a 2 lbs kitten!! Everyone told me to get rid of this kitten, but he reminded me of my childhood (rocky) and I refused to give up on him. When he was about 4 months old, I lost a friend...

little back history, that friend was a white stray cat that I became extremely bonded to in a different city then where I am now. I loved him with everything I had. After moving to my current city and getting settled, I decided to go back to my old neighbourhood to find Logain (what I called him) and bring him home with me. Although he was just a stray, we were friends for 8 months and the entire time I was away I thought of him. After hours of searching and calling and shaking a bag of cat treats, my old neighbours came out to see what I was about. They informed me the SPCA had been around to collect strays in the area, at 6pm I called the SPCA from their telephone and asked about my odd eyed white intact male. He had the pads of his left front paw completely black, and odd eyes is not a common trait. He had been put down that morning.
Anywho back to Bacardi....

After returning home, I cried for days. I didnt go out, I didnt talk to friends, took sick leave from work. Mistah, for no reason, became very affectionate, sat on my lap, cuddled with me, purred, and I literally cried on his shoulder. Ever since then he has been a remarkable cat. he still has some weird little personality kwirks, but they make me love him more. One of the oddest things he does is he sucks his tail. I kid you not. He curls up in a ball, purrs himself to sleep while sucking on the end of his tail like a child sucks their thumb!

here is a link to a youtube video of Mistah caught in the act! Replacement String:

Attachments

• 310988_1147058846.jpg
    310988_1147058846.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for sharing your (cat's) story. My parents used to have a Siamese cat who used to suck the end of his tale like that....one day my dad put tabasco sauce on the end of his tale, and poor kitty got an unpleasant surprise! Not sure if he ever sucked his tale again after that!

Shauntay

Banned
Mercedes story. I chose her for her good looks and not her personality. Persians! *sigh* She dislikes everything and everyone except Mistah, who she lives for! If she is on the ground, she is very skittish around people, other animals and noises. When she is on the bed, couch, chair or any other elevated surface she acts like a female in heat. Intense affection. She was a petstore buy and spent the first few months of her life in a cage. Anyone would have damage from that. We love her very much, and walk around on eggshells whenever she comes out in the open, as its a very special occasion. Although her love comes in rare spurts, it just makes it all the more amazing to us.

Attachments

• y1p8TG1W-TYEnJIEh_iiKBlz6Lz6BAAW9qqPztUtypNz5g9M0c9xO4yrOBb4NT0YkwopYAeUg07fx7ZtZOi7DdnQX1gv2N_x.jpg
    y1p8TG1W-TYEnJIEh_iiKBlz6Lz6BAAW9qqPztUtypNz5g9M0c9xO4yrOBb4NT0YkwopYAeUg07fx7ZtZOi7DdnQX1gv2N_x.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 18

holly_savage

Banned
That is a very nice story...my BF's mom's cat...a neutered black male dsh...likes to suck on his...well lets just say it isn't his tail! If you get my drift!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks for sharing!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

That is sad about the cat you went back to get.
Nice stories about your other cats.
I used to save ferals and still have the scars also.
I lost Smokey my last feral at age 11 in 2005.

Shauntay

Banned
Douche and Diddles.

I got Little Man first, the moment I got the okay from my boyfriend to get another cat, my internet search for a breeder began. I saw a picture of a 2 week of Little Man and I fell in love. I asked if parents were HCM neg, breeder assured me they were, so I put the deposit and 2 months later I picked up my first sphynx. There is nothing in the world like a sphynx, we all know that. And one is never enough, I often joke that I want a sphynx for every room of my house so ill never be without one. Mind you they follow you around all over the place so you never have privacy even with one. We found out later on that he was HCM positive and had a minor heart murmur. By this time, a year had passed and I educated myself on this breed and realized Little Man was very poor quality. He is extremely hairy as some of you already know :p When it came time to get another sphynx, my idiotic reasoning behind going back to the same breeder was that Little Man is my heart and soul, and I didnt want to buy a phenomenal looking sphynx and then Little Man be known as my defect or ugly baldy. So I opted to have them both look the same, and both be fuzzies. I told the breeder about the HCM pos scan and she said that both her cats were neg and sometimes it happens that a kitten may be born pos regardless. Taking her word on this I bought my next sphynx. She brought Douche to us, at an airport. I was shocked at how small he was but was overwhelmed by the excitement of getting a new kitten, I just held it in and went home with him. We later noticed he was having a hard time walking, couldnt support his bloated body with his frail legs. His eyes were very squinty and he had a pimply rash on his hind quarters. We took him to the vet the next day. He had a staff infection, and hystiocytomas on his skin. These are ugly swollen red sores on the body that are brought on by unsanitary living conditions, and sometimes need surgical removal. I was livid. To make matters worst the vet noticed a loud murmur, and advised us to get him scanned at a univeristy nearby by a cardiologist. His scan came back pos and he has a grade 5 out of 6 murmur. As soon as I found this out, I contacted the breeder, and faxed the scans to her. She told me as long as he lives past his one year contract she isnt liable for anything, which legally I know is true but how can you live with yourself?! She witnessed the birth of these kittens! When asked for them, she could not show proof of the alleged scans of her cats, and since then her cattery has been closed down by the humane society. Douche looks nothing like his brother anyways so my entire reasoning on going back to this breeder was ridiculous, but I love Douchey and couldnt live without him. He is a great advocate of the breed and everyone falls in love with him within minutes, Little Man on the other hand is only interested in his mother, so everyone flocks to tiny Douche :p

Shauntay

Banned
Other then the cats, I have a 20 lbs english lop rabbit named Monkey, and two ball pythons. Also a hamster!

And Berlins story is just beginning :)

Shauntay

Banned
That is sad about the cat you went back to get.
Nice stories about your other cats.
I used to save ferals and still have the scars also.
I lost Smokey my last feral at age 11 in 2005.

Mistah was my one and only feral rescue, and Im very glad I didnt give up on him, it has been extremely rewarding! Its so nice of you to have rescued ferals, I have a lot of respect and admiration for people who help animals.

Shauntay

Banned
That is a very nice story...my BF's mom's cat...a neutered black male dsh...likes to suck on his...well lets just say it isn't his tail! If you get my drift!

LMAO, thats a lot odder then sucking a tail!! Mistah isnt seeming so weird to me now ;)

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is a very nice story...my BF's mom's cat...a neutered black male dsh...likes to suck on his...well lets just say it isn't his tail! If you get my drift!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks for sharing!

Your BF mom's cat does it....because HE CAN! LOLOL!:LOL::LOL::LOL: Thanks for the laugh....

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

That is sad both cats are hcm pos.
It is great when you tame a feral and it becomes very friendly.
Some stay skittish their whole lives.

Shauntay

Banned
omg, I forgot my dog! >.> I mean....I was...uh...saving the best for last...

RE'S fortune favors the brave, aka Achilles, aka Muffin

My first born ;) Muffin came to me from exceptional lines, and was intended for shows. He later proved to be more comfortable with obedience trials then having his goodies felt up by every judge in town. He now knows every trick in the book and is more then willing to show off in front of a crowd, but at home with just his family, you ask him to kindly not place his massive body directly in front of the tv and you will get a look, and at best he will compromise and do this ridiculous, and very uncomfortable looking squat (with a look on his face like, is this good enough?). He is also the most wonderful, loving and protective dog I have ever met, and not to sound biased but I hang out with over a dozen dogs a day as my living :p NONE COMPARE!! Muff is all white in the face, but I think he looks spiffy. He is getting old, 4.5 years, a bit more then middle aged for the average dane. Above average hight and weight impact life span and since he passed the 37 inch mark Ive been cursing every inch gained. He is now 41.2 inches at the shoulder and 202 lbs. He is not quite at the world record. He is a huge lap dog, and has a delicate soul. He needs tremendous amounts of love and affection. Im more then happy to oblige ;)

Attachments

• Me and Achilles!.jpg
    Me and Achilles!.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMGP2047.jpg
    IMGP2047.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 17

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Other then the cats, I have a 20 lbs english lop rabbit named Monkey, and two ball pythons. Also a hamster!

And Berlins story is just beginning :)

I really enjoyed your stories! I would love to see pics of the bunny!! Monkey is a great name for bunny or sphynx I think:BigSmile:

Shauntay

Banned
Here is Monkey

p.s. I first named him Everest, but he likes bananas...so

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 10

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
WOW! Thanks for sharing, your stories are great!! Such a shame for the sad parts but with a loving human mummy like you all your pets are truly blessed!

X

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

We also have a ball python and hamster, lol. Our python is female and named "Mohinder". We named her that because we have a friend who is Indian that told us back in India, lots of people name their pets North American names like "Jack" etc. So we decided to give our next pet an Indian name...LOL

Are your pythons male/female and what are their names?

Shauntay

Banned
My first pythons name is Isis, female. I got her when she was tiny from a pet store. She had a huge crink in her back, she had gotten injured from a big drop. I had her for four days when one morning I woke up, went to check on her and she was GONE! I panicked, with so many animals in the house, I was sure she was eaten, she was so tiny then, and if she escaped her terrarium, the drop to the floor was four feet, with her back, I was sure she wouldnt be able to get away from the cats. I searched high and low, and then resigned to the fact she was gone, went out and bought another right away, the second one wasnt so sweet, same size, called him osiris. That night, Isis crawled out of the heater!!!!! She had been bitten by one of the cats so we brought her to the vet the next day, she was given antibiotics, and healed up nicely and thank god both snakes get a long!! So thats how I ended up with two, they live in a 4.5 ft by 2ft terrarium, woulda been a mansion for one, but is just right for two. They are now 3 feet long.

J

Jinxlover

I love your Great Dane...Here is mine (His name is Floyd)

Attachments

• P1050873.JPG
    P1050873.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 10
  • P1050392.JPG
    P1050392.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 9
Back