Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Biting!!!

Lauren

Lairian
So I love Kenny, but he will not stop biting me!!! I look like a pincushion or something! Has anyone else had this issue? He's still young, I'm trying to chalk it up to that, but I want him to know it's not a good habit! Any suggestions??

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Kenny looks like a cutie. How young is he? Maybe he is just being overly playful. Is he neutered? If not, maybe he is just being overly playful. :Wink:

When he bites, say no, take yourself out of attack range, and try not to give him any positive attention or reenforcement.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Polar did the same thing and I have scars from his bites.
My girls never bit that hard.
They told me at the cat shows to blow in his face when he does it.
The judges said it is like when the mom hisses and he will learn.
He play bit a judge at a show.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A lot of young cats do the biting thing. Mo was terrible when he was about 6/7months old. I suppose it's like puppys nipping your ankles. He used to really bite at me when he was wanting to play and it REALLY HURT! I used to shut him in the other room at let him back in after a few mins. He doesn't do it at all now though. He grew out of it. Sometimes it's when they are teething too. I have heard that if you get a little water pistol and squirt it a little if they start to bite it can tech them not to, I never tried that with Mo though. Also when I got my 2nd cat it helped because he had someone to play with! Hope that helps!

ranalashae

Banned
My cat Nala also bites all the time! She has a thing with feet... I don't know why! When she bites I just yell "NO" loudly and she usually looks at me like "Ohhh are you talking to ME!?" And gives the innocent face. Brat! hahaha Good luck breaking your cat of the habit!

Lauren

Lairian
Kenny looks like a cutie. How young is he? Maybe he is just being overly playful. Is he neutered? If not, maybe he is just being overly playful. :Wink:

When he bites, say no, take yourself out of attack range, and try not to give him any positive attention or reenforcement.

Thanks a lot! He is five months old now, but he's been neutered for awhile.

TheFlork

Lairian
mine bites as well, hes only 6months, but hes not so bad, just gums me, unless where playing then he can get worked up and bite down, i just make an angry cat sound really loud and hill open his eyes wide and lick where he bit gently like "i sowwy" lol

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear of your little biter! Here is some useful information, I hope it helps. I don't recommend water spraying unless all else fails and this would be a last resort. Kittens will play aggressively because that's what comes naturally to them from birth all the way up to when they become those long slanky teenagers. Many people get a sphynx kitten believing that they are sweet cuddly little pets until the little gremlins sink their teeth and claws into your hand or arm (ouch)! You have to remember that sphynx kittens have an instinct to play rough, you would see this if you watched them with their siblings from birth. They are aggressive little devils when they are a mere week into this world! It is part of a normal kitten's development to play aggressively because they are learning the predatory skills that a cat in the wild would need to know for survival. Most sphynx kittens grow out of the aggressive stage and grow into adorable, sweet little Sphynx kitty cats who would never hurt a fly, never mind hurt you! Also kittens can become biters if you play rough with them or in some cases they were taken from mommy too early. First I must say what ever route of disciplinary action you take, don't give up and be persistent. A kitten craves you, the owners attention and wants to play with you but you should try diverting his attention away from him biting your hands or arms or even feet by having a toy that is about his own size, like a teddy bear or something. Shake the toy or move it in an enticing manner. Encourage your kitten to wrestle with the toy that you are holding and not your arms or hands.

Withdraw from playing if things get really rough and the kitten begins to bite or scratch you. Just as a kitten learns from his siblings and mother he will also learn from you. If he bites or scratches and becomes overly aggressive you simply end the game. Tell him in a stern voice 'NO' and with a loud clap of your hands walk away from the situation and ignore him.

If the kitten catches you unaware and latches on to your arm or leg you might not have a toy ready for diversion. Try not to move too much, (this can be difficult when you are in acute agony and pain) because if you do, this will give him the impression you are participating in the game and it may instigate him to continue on biting and scratching you. As gently as possible unlatch the kittens teeth or claws from your body (easier said then done). Then tell him NO, scold him and walk away. Make it clear to the kitten that you will not be a party to these rough-house games. Remember generally these little Sphynx monsters will grow out of this, so be patient!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pedda was a biter when she was little. I broke her of it by yelling OWWW and stopping all movement. But she still isn't above giving me a hard nip if I piss her off.

Back