Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Black/brown spots?

Elaina

Lairian
I've posted this before but it seems the marks on my little one isn't getting any better. I've changed litter and food and also reversed back to everything she had as a kitten to see if it is an allergy but it seems nothing has improved.

I've attached some photographs below. Do you think it's worth a visit to the vets? It doesn't seem p bother her at all. It's on her arm joint and now some of these marks seem to be coming onto her back legs.. I've cleaned her over the weeks, wipes and a a few baths but they are still there. Could it just be pigmentation?

Thanks as always guys. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 351

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As long as it is not raised, and there is no redness or irritation associated with it, it is probably just pigment. Keep an eye on it for any sudden or abnormal looking changes. Just like in humans, they can develop melanoma (though it is rare).

If you are worried about it getting worse, you can install UV protective film on the windows that she is able to sit in.

Just note: there is no safe sunscreen product that can be applied topically to cats.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just to compare:

Here are some of Molly's pigment marks that she has developed.

This is a more faint mark above her eye:

20141209_123145.jpg

This is some of the darker spots she has on her back:
20141202_223312.jpg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It does look like pigmentation. But, if I was the least bit concerned, I would go to the Vet.
Also, like @MollysMom said. I would watch for redness, raised, irritation, or any changes.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I've posted this before but it seems the marks on my little one isn't getting any better. I've changed litter and food and also reversed back to everything she had as a kitten to see if it is an allergy but it seems nothing has improved.

I've attached some photographs below. Do you think it's worth a visit to the vets? It doesn't seem p bother her at all. It's on her arm joint and now some of these marks seem to be coming onto her back legs.. I've cleaned her over the weeks, wipes and a a few baths but they are still there. Could it just be pigmentation?

Thanks as always guys. :)
Here is another thread that is recent with similar looking spots, not so much the darker ones, but the others that are light brownish - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/multiplying-large-black-spots.29853/#post-360074

Elaina

Lairian
Thanks all, I recently took her to the vets, they seemed stumped. They don't seem to see many Sphynx's. Surprise surprise! Although they are very good.. They took photographs and showed them to the dermatologist, she seems to think if there is no irritation it is pigmentation too. So, there we go.. I've got a sphynx who has some marks like a dalmatian dog. ;)

Ashdm

Lairian
I posted a link about this a year ago. I have a solid black sphynx with severe pigmentation. But at the time I didn't know what it was and refused to believe it was normal. I ended up putting my little guy through loads of vets visits, skin scrapings and dermatologists visits all to find out it is completely normal pigmentation. Here is the thread if you want to compare pictures.
http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/what-are-these-marks-on-my-sphynxs-skin.25099/#post-319811

The main thing I have learned is that if its not annoying then, or raised then it's generally just a change in colour. My sphynx had never itched it yet it continued to spread to different parts of his body. He is now 18 months old and still has his pigmentation but it seems to have stopped spreading a while ago when he was about 1. And from all my research it seems to be more common in darker sphynx, ie those carrying the black or blue colour. Your pictures do just look like normal pigmentation and I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Elaina

Lairian
Thank you so much for posting your link to your other thread. Funnily enough the marks on her legs have now practically gone. I was convinced too that it was pigmentation but now I'm clueless! I found your post very interesting though, thank you for sharing. :)

Back