Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Black fungus on nose...

JennaJoy

Lairian
We have a 9 month old kitten and she has suddenly developed an odd black, crusty patch on her nose. This is the only area that she has fur. The vet said she didn't think it was ringworm, but wasn't certain what it is. Any ideas? This top photo is her nosey before...all white and clean. The bottom is her boo boo nose and then a larger look at her nose now.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm not being smart, but, do you wash that area good?
It just looks like it's dirty to me. Do you wash her face daily with
a warm cloth. Eyes too? What shampoo do you use?

JennaJoy

Lairian
We wash her whole body once a week with baby shampoo. Her face, we use coconut oil once a week to rid her of her extra filthy bits and every couple of days, we use baby wipes on her face. We have not changed diet, litter, coconut oil, or wipes and her diet has always been grain free.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Coconut oil, will make them more oily, greasy. It has to be washed out immediately
and rinsed and rinsed more.
The baby wipes isn't as good as the warm wash cloths. I think if you will
cut out the coconut oil and baby wipes, you'll see a improvement.
There is a great Shampoo for Sphynx HyLyt Shampoo.
You need to order it for example here is one link. I Google it when I need
to order to see here I can get it the cheapest.
http://www.allvetsupply.com/hylytshampoo.html
Amazon has it and others, but, right now this will be the cheapest probably.
But, don't get it in your cat's eyes.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is it just me, or do her eyes look a bit red/ goopy? I agree that the black bits on the nose *could* be just dirt - mine get an actual build up of black dirt in their nose that I can flake off. I would try taking something like a baby toothbrush to gently brush the area and see if it gets better. It does not appear to be ringworm. Does she have any other areas with a difference in her skin?

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you don't wash coconut oil off properly it attracts every dirt particle in you area :) as good as it is at loosing if if you don't wash it off with s other soap it has opposite effect

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I agree it looks like dirt. Wouldn't that be awesome if that is all it is? Our boy gets that and the best way for me to get it off is with wet exfoliating gloves. Have to scrub a bit. Let us know how you make out.

Patti