Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Yoda mom

Staff member
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I recently adopted a black Sphynx that has a very large area of pigmentation on only one side of his body.
He was sunbathing in the window at his previous home. He was vet checked last month. The vet report diagnosis said it is normal pigmentation for his age - almost 4 yrs old - and basking in the sun..

It is smooth non itchy - and all came back normal at the vet- (the last pic right side is shadowing)

Is it common this large of a pigmentation being in the sun? And could it be that I have heard brown is a recessive hair shaft color in black Sphynx?

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
image.jpg
Vet said not to worry And keep him from sitting in the window sun here in Florida :)

He is moved in with his brother Yoda here with me now.. No sunbathing! I set up the kitty mansions cat tree in the shaded gym area-this is Batman - he has already discovered it as you can see! They can look out to the pool lanai and watch butterflies n lizards :) and run naked free all over- fortunate no direct sun windows!

My Toby black Sphynx sits on his bed at the bedroom window since I got him and looks to the lanai t00 with no direct sun. He has no pigmentation at 1 yr old.

**Was wondering what is the average age for black Sphynx to get pigmentarion?

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
When I look at his picture standing- the pattern does match how he would lay on a window ledge with his back leg besides his body.. The lighter area would be where his back leg was resting while sunbathing

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@zoinks great example. Many picture just spots but in your pic you can see it is also a larger area affected and those great wrinkle crease prove it's the sun.

Patti

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
View attachment 48644 View attachment 48644 View attachment 48642 View attachment 48643 View attachment 48644 I recently adopted a black Sphynx that has a very large area of pigmentation on only one side of his body.
He was sunbathing in the window at his previous home. He was vet checked last month. The vet report diagnosis said it is normal pigmentation for his age - almost 4 yrs old - and basking in the sun..

It is smooth non itchy - and all came back normal at the vet- (the last pic right side is shadowing)

Is it common this large of a pigmentation being in the sun? And could it be that I have heard brown is a recessive hair shaft color in black Sphynx?
Ella had pigmentation that came and went including freckles ?!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@pussiette , thanks for sharing- I am glad you replied- jus tonight I looked at Batman's pigmentation and I swear it is fading! I am goingvto take a daylight pic and compare to 2 weeks ago -

Is it common to pigmentation to fade? I thought it was my imagination it seems lighter and less of ?

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It does fade and disappear also if the black sphynx get a scratch or bump it looks like someone got a felt pen and drew on them or bruised them but it definitely fades!

Rara22

Lairian
Our Alfie boy is a similar color to Batman, he has tan lines from sunbathing out side that are darker - not as dark as Batman but Alfie is only 1 year old.

925798_480565662072741_1724566261_n.jpg
I just got a glare and uv reducer film to put on my glass sliding doors because my 3 sphynx were always laying in front of them. They all started to get stripes from where their wrinkles were. It really seems to help with the Florida sun

Back