Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Black spots???

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok so recently noticed little black spots under maggie's lower lip they don't rub off! Does anyone else have these strange spots??? -Jessica

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are they black heads? They can get them on their chin and on their tails too.

If it is; A hot (not too hot) wet rag rub down after a soak, usually removes them. Be careful with squeezing them as sometimes they could get infected (though its tempting and I do that, gross but satisfying, poor cats :Smile: )

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I think they are blackheads also:Badly: our cats never had them but Athena just recently started getting them and I to can not help but to pop them:Woo: My husband is always telling me to stop but I just can not look at it without doing something. She gets them around her mouth kind of on her lips. Last week she had A huge one.
When we had Max he had some on his tail. I have never seen any on Leo. I guess it just depends on the cat.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know, it's tough not to pick. Blue has very large blackheads at the base of his tail. When they would get tooooo big I'd try to pick them, since I know how bad a ripe blemish can hurt on a human. About a year or so ago, I picked at a very deep one. He HAD to have felt better when I was done, right? However, within a couple of days his tail started to develop this "knot" and turn red. Yup, I had caused an infection and it ended up costing well over $100 between the vet visit, meds, etc. Never mind Blue's indignity at having to have a warm wet compress held on his butt twice a day! I'm much better about picking blackheads now lol

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was just about to start a thread on this! I just noticed those black heads on Scroties chin last night and I think he might have stud tail. Puberty is taking its toll on my little man lol. Once I get the echo done in two weeks, I can proceed with the neutering, until than well see what other strange things happen...Cross your fingers, no spraying occurs:Badly:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've been keeping an eye on Sophie to see if she gets any. She has two tiny bumps next to where her whiskers would be but above her chin. I wonder if they are moles. They don't seem to be like blackheads would be shaped.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Heather,
Sounds like those would house the whiskers on the side of her face. Feline acne almost never leaves the chin and upper neck. On extremely random occasions, a random blackhead will appear on the lips.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if that was what they were. Thanks for your response!

Hunters Mommy

Lairian
Hunter gets black heads as well. Usually on his tail and in the little folds under his chin because food or oil gets trapped in them. I too am guilt of trying to dig them out with my nails, but am trying to break the habit. I got one of those Clear-N-Clear Blackhead Erasers for my face and I tried it on Hunter's tail when he was in the bath and it worked! So, I bought myself a new one and he kept that one. If you scrub your kitty's chin and tail with a baby wipe once a day or two days it will help.

AngelSphynx

Lairian
I actually have kitty astringent from LND Sphynx (the breeder makes great all natural soaps for Sphynx cats.) I have not had to use it yet so I don't know how it works but I have tried some other soaps and I love them. The breeder just recently and temporarily stopped making her soaps because of a new family addition (of the human kind :LOL:) but I would urge all to keep checking her site.
(Says she may come back late summer so hopefully she will be back very soon!)

http://www.freewebs.com/lndsoaps/index.htm

zoes mom

Lairian
I've been told that spectro jel is good to use for the acne prone cat, I bought some but haven't tried it yet. I've stopped giving my kitty soft food it helps especially if it involves the mouth area. My kitten got alot of blackheads under chin when I was giving it soft food every morning. :Dizzy:

sheryl

Lairian
When I first got Sammie, she had a LOT of blackheads around her chin. Yes - I couldn't refuse - had to squeeze them! However, since I switched her & Lily to raw food, Sammies blackheads have disappeared. Not sure if this is just a coincidence.
Sheryl

Brooke

Banned
When I first got Sammie, she had a LOT of blackheads around her chin. Yes - I couldn't refuse - had to squeeze them! However, since I switched her & Lily to raw food, Sammies blackheads have disappeared. Not sure if this is just a coincidence.
Sheryl

That doesn't surprise me, Sheryl! Raw is supposed to be really good for their skin - in fact Helen, who has very dry skin has become much softer and shinier since I switched to raw.

silly4lilly

Lairian
Are they black heads? They can get them on their chin and on their tails too.

If it is; A hot (not too hot) wet rag rub down after a soak, usually removes them. Be careful with squeezing them as sometimes they could get infected (though its tempting and I do that, gross but satisfying, poor cats :Smile: )

i do the same thing..i squeeze the blackheads on my male river. the stuff that comes out is soooo gross!!!

bauerann

Lairian
Anubis gets black heads on the base of his tail.

There are ways to properly extract a blackhead, with a blackhead extractor tool.

He does not like me to extract them, but it must be done!

Back