Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Black tongue??

Savannah Burris

Lairian
My 6 month old kitten, Oliver, was neutered last Tuesday, and he also received his rabies shot that day. Ever since then, his appetite has just been off - he will scream for food and then only eat a few bites before ignoring it. He will, however, eat treats and take cooked food (like chicken).

I noticed his right eye was squinty, and not opening well, but I assumed it might be from the goop they put in pet eyes during surgery to keep them wet, so I cleaned his eye a little with a damp cloth. It seemed to work but now his eye is still weepy (with this weird brown goop) and just looks weird. I can see the edge of his second eyelid over his eye when it's open, and it just stays there.

Lastly, and most concerning, is the development from last night. His tongue is black!! Not just a spot, but his whole tinge, except for the bottom! I have no idea what could be causing this! I called my vet late last night, and she was perplexed, as well. I know this could be indicative of clotting, but he's still walking and jumping around even with the loud meowing - although he does seem to have an unusual amount of bruising from his surgery.

I'm just so confused and worried. I'll attach pictures if I can get any, but they may be blurry. Any help with this will be so appreciated. (and yes, I am taking him to the vet as soon as they open today.)

Attachments

• 20180316_214520.jpg
    20180316_214520.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20180316_214511.jpg
    20180316_214511.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20180316_215133.jpg
    20180316_215133.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20180316_214448.jpg
    20180316_214448.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 75

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending healing vibes to your boy. I have no idea what can be causing the black tongue. The bruise is very big and not what is usually seen afyer neutering. Glad you're going to the vet. Please keep us updated

Savannah Burris

Lairian
Sending healing vibes to your boy. I have no idea what can be causing the black tongue. The bruise is very big and not what is usually seen afyer neutering. Glad you're going to the vet. Please keep us updated

Well, it isn't bruising or clotting in the tongue, whatever it is came off with a swab. I'm going to check around my house for anything he might have stained his tongue with, and I'll be feeding him so probiotic yoghurt in case it's a yeast infection. But honestly, my poor vet was stumped, which wasn't very reassuring.

Sheldon13

Staff member
My first guess if it came off easily is that it is thrush. It happens a lot in human babies. The treatment is an antibiotics. It does make it quite painful to eat as well, so that’s likely why you have been having trouble with him feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savannah Burris

Lairian
Yes, that's one of the vet's guesses as well. I actually did get him to eat a quarter can of food just now; the vet recommended a diet they give to pets after surgery called a/D, and he seemed to like that. I'll feed him more with some yoghurt added in later and see if that starts doing anything for the color on his tongue.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Well, it isn't bruising or clotting in the tongue, whatever it is came off with a swab. I'm going to check around my house for anything he might have stained his tongue with, and I'll be feeding him so probiotic yoghurt in case it's a yeast infection. But honestly, my poor vet was stumped, which wasn't very reassuring.

Glad it went off with a swab! Maybe he just ate something he shouldn't. And hope the vet asks around to see what other vets think!

Back