Black tongues!

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Health & Nutrition' started by Raymartha, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Raymartha

RaymarthaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $182.21
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hey all, hope your well, both my babies have black on their tongues but only in the centre where the papillae is and it does vary in amount and comes and goes. The vet has said for us to look for something around the house that they have been licking or chewing but can’t really find anything and haven’t seen them chewing anything much, they both seem happy and healthy other than this, I wonder if it is some kind of fibres from fabrics or from where they are cleaning each other as have tried to do a bit of reasearch already and these are suggestions I have found, or maybe it’s just food? And i am being overly worried? Does anyone else have any idea????! Never noticed it with other cats I have had in the past, Thank you! :kiss:
    upload_2018-6-6_7-12-57.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    • Hugs Hugs x 1

• admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $288,034.54
      Ratings:
      +18,088
      • Pig
      • Venus Fly trap
      • Black Sphynx
      • Skull head
      I did find this bit of information. :)

Some cats do have pigments resembling black spots on their tongue–it is completely normal and especially common in tortoiseshell cats. If you have never noticed it before, the first thing you should do is observe if the black spot is raised above the surface of the rest of the tongue, or simply a pigmentation that is even with the tongue surface. In most cases, if the black spot is not raised, it is less likely to be a malignant tumour (synchronous with cancer). That being said, although it is rare, there is still a possibility that even-surfaced black pigments may be malignant. Likewise, senior cats may develop melanomas in the mouth, which often have a similar appearance.

• Toa and Ross

Toa and RossGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $207,746.36
      Ratings:
      +18,571
      Can the black be the dirt/oil from their skim or their mommy's skin? I know teeth are sometimes black because of this.

• Like Like x 1