Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Down the rabbit hole of newbie questions we go!

I’ve seen A LOT of posts/pics about sphynx tails with blackheads, both here and on other groups. I’m very particular, and would prefer not the deal with pimple popping... Here’s the newbie part:

1. Should I be actively doing something periodically to prevent the onset of blackheads? Or is this more like a condition that only affects some sphynx and not others? Would a weekly wipe down of witch hazel on his tail be beneficial to begin now, or should I wait to see if/when he develops blackheads?

2. Kenzo has only been with us for six days, however he is virtually scentless and has yet to have any trace of wax/oil. The breeder said both his parents are pretty low maintenance in that regard, only wipe downs once and month and full baths every 2 months or so. Is the waxiness and oil something that develops more as he matures, or did we luck out with good genetics?

3. Silly again, but when do I know when to wash him? I had originally thought to wipe him down once a week and bathe once a month, but he is a lot more clean than I anticipated. I want him to be clean, but I don’t want to over do it and cause an upset in his natural balance. Should I go ahead a wipe him down tomorrow even though he’s still ‘clean?’ Is it better to be proactive or reactive?

I don’t mind either way. He actually is drawn to water! He has managed to dive into my daughter’s bath TWICE already! I was also anticipating a mushroom musky sphynx smell, but he hardly had any scent at all. Even hot and fresh out of the covers. I am curious whether this is our reality, or if he’s just too young and too new to truly tell. We have white bedding for the summer, so I was going to shop for something different since he sleeps with us, but we have yet to see any sphynx stamps! Please advise and share your experiences!

2DDDB633-3AF8-4263-A60B-6648E94A74AD.jpeg

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi--what a cutie, at least the parts we can see! I would not use witch hazel unless you see acne or blackheads. If your boy is neutered, he is much less likely to get stud tail. Our Marcus has never had blackheads anywhere but under his jaw. And he gets really grubby between baths. Both Marcus and Cleopatra get blackheads under their jaws, and Markie takes that a step further by getting whiteheads and cysts too. We do use witch hazel on those parts a few times a week. Mostly, the problem is kept from getting bad by wiping chins daily with a baby wipe or witch hazel.

As far as baths go, you will find that your boy will get dirty, and you will know it. He will start to have an odor of dirty potatoes, brown patches on his skin and an oily feel. Marcus gets brown wrinkles, and Cleo gets brown thighs and belly. Cleo also gets itchy, and she will start scratching more than normal when it is bathtime. Bathtime may vary for you from weekly to once a month. I like to bathe every 3 weeks ideally, but they have waited for over 6 weeks in the past.

Don't worry about Sphynx marks or smudges too much--we have light colored furniture, and they have never left marks like that.

Enjoy your baby and don't worry, you will notice when he is dirty.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Cleopatra Beers Thank you! Kenzo is neutered so fingers crossed we don’t get stud tail! I appreciate the help. I’m probably over thinking it, but he’s my first sphynx and pet cat so I worry. Your babes are very cute!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

... Yes, he dove in head first... AGAIN. Lol, I think I have a water baby!

Side note, it’s very cute, but is this okay? I keep taking him out immediately and drying him off. I’m scared of getting water in his ears and ending up with an infection or a head tilt!

5F510AA4-759C-4F2E-B27E-7D4C203122B0.jpeg

33452555-D708-4B67-BEA1-948ECB2C6117.jpeg

Attachments

• F546942B-1E1C-4EA5-BB7A-30B3D1E1604A.jpeg
    F546942B-1E1C-4EA5-BB7A-30B3D1E1604A.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 8

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Ooooh how funny Kenzo loves water so much! And that for a boy that stays so clean. Wish my dirty piggy Toa loved water as much as Kenzo does.
It can't hurt Kenzo to be in the water so wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're there to supervise him.

For bathing, you know it's time when you see dirt on your shirt after cuddling him:).
The less bathing the better so wouldn't bath him before it's necessary.

For pimps and blackheads I think you can best wait and see. Cleaning his face so dirt won't get a chance will help to prevent them.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Toa and Ross Thank you! Would you recommend some natural baby wipes (for instance Honest Co) or a wet washcloth to wipe his face off?

Kenzo is 3 for 3 jumping into the bathtub! I can’t keep him out! At first, I thought it was my daughters bath toys that was drawing him in. Then, I took a bath myself, without any floating toys lol, and he still dove in! Hopefully this means spa days will be easy!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Monica I love baby wipes cause it gets the dirt of easily (not from you country so can't advice on brand). But some lairians do like a wet washcloth better.

What a funny guy loving to bagh and swim!