Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Blanket on breeders request

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi all <3

so my breeder requested a while ago to bring a smaller blanket then the normal (for adult forgot the size) fleece one. Something around 60 x 60 cm. We have two of those... So far.
But oh the panic that I couldn't find one with 'only' (feels like forever) 20-21 days to gotcha day on the counter and 2 days before our second (most likely last) kitten visit.
I even been browsing for real baby blankets, but oh my how they are so very overpriced. (Like $30! Holy smoke they ask a lot for baby stuff. No wonder parents struggle!)
And most pet blankets I've found here where still fairly pricy but do-able but alas to big too and most likely wouldn't arrive on time if I ordered them online.

But today luck struck and behold!
We found this cute little baby fleece blanket for only $2. :love:
I'm so thrilled I can take a proper blanket along to wrap her in for her gotcha day. (75 x 80 cm)
(Just ignore the boyfriends feet :hilarious:)

Dekentje.jpg
Talk about a huge difference eh. :hilarious: But not only the size amazes me. Also the meaning to me personally.
I love it how it is darker blue as her name Safira is extracted from Sapphire and directs to a darker blue gem stone.
And for the stars as well cause her last name actually means 'shining light' in a different language and the stars remind me of that.
I feel so lucky and blessed at the moment. Maybe it's a little silly I can be so thrilled and happy over a simple blanket. But I really am. And I just wanted to share that joy. :happy:

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yumi yep! It's a fact!! You truely are a sphynx mom and a crazy cat lady:). Cause only this kind of people can be so thrilled about a blanket!
Welcome to the club;-).

I love the blanket specailly knowing the name of your girl and what it means. It' the perfect blanket. And you're a perfect sphynx mom for searching and searching for a blanket

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Toa and Ross I love this club!

Well she still needs to seduce her daddy though.
He was like but you already have blankets, just use those, there good enough.
I kept foot. No! We need a smaller one. I will get a smaller one. :ROFLMAO:

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yumi she'll have her daddy wrapped around her paw soon enough. Before you know it you see your hubby/boyfriend sitting on the edge of the couch, explaining to you his daughter is sleeping there and he couldn't wake her up of course to sit on the couch himself:)

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Toa and Ross that's what I keep telling him but he keeps denying it.
He still thinks Sphynx are just cats.. Just cats. :ROFLMAO: it still cracks me up.
I'm fairly sure the wrapping already started as he doesn't allow me to rename her. Every name I try is no, no, nope.
Enjoying every second of it!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Toa and Ross
He still thinks Sphynx are just cats.
Safira will soon edumacate him to the contrary. :p
Cute blanket. :)

If you ever need a small one, just get a regular size one (100x150), cut it in half, and hem the cut edges. :) Bingo, two small blankies.
You can even do it with the iron-on stuff if you can't sew. :)
But mine always wriggle into the biggest fleeces I have, ignoring the small ones, because they can build a better "nest" in the big ones.

P.S.
I have this one:
Couverture Basic pour chien et chat and it's really lovely and soft.
I got it with the carrier when I got Livvy and Jez, and they had a long trip ahead of them. So I bought a great, very secure carrier and that blanket for them.

I also thoroughly recommend this light, collapsible carrier (vet visits etc):
Sac de transport pliable pour chien et chat
I have 3 of them. I used them for the trip from Germany (over 1200km) and my girls LOVE them.
They are collapsible, so you can store them easily, but, honestly? I haven't refolded them yet -- some 3 months later.
Because they love sleeping in them. :) (I unzipped the door and stored that, and the carrier strap.)
And even when two of mine stand on it, it doesn't fold.
And if your situation allows, and Safira is allowed outside, those make great cool shady places to sleep in.
(All of mine hang out in them when they are outside.)

Last edited:

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Silke I do hope so, cause I'm planning a second baby already from the same breeder but her other female.
One has a really hard and grumpy expression, that's where our current kitten comes from. :love:
So far her older offspring gained that look too. oh how I adore how that mommy cat has that grumpy ''get of my lawn" face expression.
MommyOfSafira.png SafiraAndHerMom.jpg GrumpyMommy2.png
(here she was a 10-ish days away from getting her litter, so grumpy :ROFLMAO:)
Her other feline has a very soft face which is super pretty too.
OtherMommy.png OtherMommy2.png
It both has their own features and charms I guess. :LOL: Love it how Sphynx are all so related and yet so different. :love:

Ah well that is where I panicked. I cannot sew nor have a machine so the idea of cutting a blanket in half did cross my mind but I kept from it due no skills. To be honest, totally forgot a iron on thingy was a alternative for sewing too. Oops! :sorry:
But it is like you say, Sphynx try to make a good nest so guess for now I can keep them nice and big then and just keep her small one as her baby blanket :LOL: If she'll ever use it will be another question. :p
I am planning to take the small and the big one both to the kitten visit so it can get the sent of her mom, brother and sisters in them for when she comes home.
She already cries now when she's put aside for a few minutes from them (she managed to sprain her leg) to be back with them. The poor doll. :( Hopefully that smell will help her a little when she gets home here.
My heart already breaks of the thought of her crying out for them. Definitely going to cuddle extra hard and give her so many kisses and snuggles.

Your blanket looks so awesome and cuddly soft. We might order it over time too. Can't have enough blankets. :hilarious:
As for transport what an awesome one! We have, from the same site as your links, the basket one. Of course I still need to blanket it so she's comfy and warm but when they still sold it it had tons of sphynx photo's and my breeder has the dark version. Seems to be populair among them. (and sold out/out of stock or something, I think? Cause I couldn't find the white one back, had to steal a picture from google lol)
TravelBasket.png
At least to me personally too it looks more hmm euh how to word it... More caring/loving in a way? More.. kind towards them?
I just find those typical plastic once a bit scary in a way. Cold and hard. Somewhat impersonal.
Ok they are easier to clean probably but eh it's a risk I take with love to have a more personal kind pet carrier. :love:
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Meanwhile. 19-20 more days till gotcha day!
Depending on how she'll feel after her last shot we'll know if we can pick her up on 19 september or 20 september.
They are half alive bacteria and not fully death ones to make sure they have a good immune system.
Becoming a first time Sphynx mom sometimes is a tad confusing as I know nothing about it yet. So I'm very thankful and blessed my breeder is honest, loving, caring, open and gives me tons of information about everything. :LOL:

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That basket looks great too!
The gray one is very soft and squishy, but still sturdy enough to hold up to some serious abuse. (Trust me, there was lots of that in that endlessly long drive!)

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That basket looks great too!
The gray one is very soft and squishy, but still sturdy enough to hold up to some serious abuse. (Trust me, there was lots of that in that endlessly long drive!)
That made me lol. I mean the serious abuse part.
Well I'm not sure yet how she'll react in ours but thinking if they have a similar one, might be ok. Hopefully. :ROFLMAO:
Really looking forward to it. (y)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Fantastic! Yes, you are well on the way to being an ultimate crazy Sphynx lady. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Can't wait for your gotcha day.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
  • Fantastic! Yes, you are well on the way to being an ultimate crazy Sphynx lady. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Can't wait for your gotcha day.
    @Xandria Oh how the yet another kitten visit was so very awesome, I'm still counting down like nuts and even more.
    I actually had her wrapped in the blanket after playing time, cause well you know kittens still wear themselves out, and I swear... I do not know if she was going sigh or dreaming or.. But with her eyes closed in the blanket and in my arms she occasionally made this weird sound. God it was so cute and amazing I had to hold back not to cry of happiness. My little girl.
    It's like my mommy instinct is there but not towards human children :sorry: but if she makes a sound it's like all feelings aboard to see if she's ok!

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Same here. One sneeze, one hiccup...
I know right! Panic! :ROFLMAO: Oh how we love our little naked one. :love:

Meanwhile, I got a few more pictures from my breeder. (I love my breeder so much, I swear.)
Two more weeks and a few days to go! Aah. I'm getting so much butterfly's thinking of it! Having my little girl here at home on my lap. *jumps up and down from excitement* Aaaah! *runs around in circles*
Still waiting a bit longer as she's going through so much changes every few days to get her pedigree color right. :LOL:
We're starting to suspect more and more she's a mink, I think by now we can rule out point.
Then the question is if she's a seal, chocolate, blue,... :jawdrop: So exciting that journey! *squeeks*
(All just to avoid issues of having the change the pedigree afterwards lol. We'd even love her if she was green or purple with yellow dots :ROFLMAO:)

Bluebell was already a few months old when we could reserve her, so she already had her set/adult coat and eye color.
For me this journey from little pink wurm to an amazing color coat and changing eyes... I don't know how to explain it.
I feel lucky and blessed that I can follow each of her (changing) steps from birth till gotcha day. I'm so proud. :cry: In our eyes she's becoming a stunning lady. (I think all sphynx are beautiful and I've seen amazing pictures here of your naked kids. Love it!)
It's amazing on these photo's you can barely see her darker tone, she looks so pale here. It made me giggle. Every angle/light/shadow she looks like a different kitten and yet it was always the same one. Amazing! So fascinating!

She's already and yet only 11 weeks old now and already has that attitude of posing like a real star. :rolleyes: She's going to turn out to be one fierce lady. I'm sure of it! You can see the mischief in some pictures. Acting all cute faced while the eyes give away she's plotting something. Her character is already so strong and amazing. Of the whole litter she really stands out for us.
Her eyes fascinate me so much too at the moment and I just can't stop staring at it.
The transition from her baby color slowly but surly going to her adult eye color. It's so pretty! I'm curious what her end color will be there too. (if she indeed is a mink probably aqua I guess?)
I wish it could stay like this forever. :ROFLMAO: having a blend of all colors hehe. But time will tell. :love:
Well here are some of the pictures. Oh don't you just want to kiss and snuggle her like crazy! I sure do. :ROFLMAO:
cutiewithherlovelysister.jpg howcanyounotloveher.jpg napsarethebest.jpg Safirasprettyeyemelt.jpg shesplottingsomething.jpg

Ok breath, breath. Just two-ish more weeks. Pfew! :joyful:

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yumi oooooh look at that beautiful cutie. She's purrfect. Can imagine you're hopelessly in love. Love that expression on her face. So naughty and cute at the same time.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She's going to be a handful in her kitten/teen years hé. :hilarious:

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
And on today's picture I've received her eye looks more blue again.
That has to be a symptom of being a mink right? :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
(Yeah I'd give such a stink face too if someone where to wake me up or I just woke up from my slumber)
Safiralove.jpg SafiraCutieLove.jpg

So now I'm wondering who else here in the lair has mink and how there colors change depending on the light etc.
Maybe I should do a search on that or make a new active post about it. Hmm. :love:

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Yumi we have 2 mink...I just love the color. It all depends on the lighting as to how blue they look. I love taking pics so it is like a gift every day to see what I can capture. Natural light with no flash seems to be awesome for me.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Catzzzmeow I think I'm going to have to go and stalk your gallery then. :ROFLMAO:
Like I stated earlier in this topic, the color change of their body and eyes fascinate me so much. It's insane!
If it wasn't for her special nose patch I would recognize always and everywhere, I would think they'd show me a different baby every time :hilarious:
So your babies where born like pink worms too and then suddenly got color? :love:

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom omg what a cuuuuuutie!
So that is blue cream. Then I think we can rule out that she's a blue cream. (I know we have a color card, but seeing it on a real photo is so different.)
The mink's are amazing. :love: Fascinating! This is going to take a while before I can get over it. :ROFLMAO:

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yumi she has one of the best stink eye's ever. @Catzzzmeow had beautiful photos of the eyes of her mink girl (and just beautiful pics of all her crew!).

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok, so 11 more days... God time goes so slow. :sorry:
As some know I had a small topic of how your naked child sleeps, or rather where.
I still can't get my partner warm from above my pillow since there is an open spot there. :arghh::arghh::arghh: [some bleeped out stuff]
So I went on a search and found this:
Miniton.png (37x37x58 cm)
It would fit where most people have their night stand, so guess who's still gonne sleep next to me :ROFLMAO:
it looks warm and fuzzy but in case if it is needed, I'll add a heating pad or my cherry pit pillow to give her extra warmth.
(y) where there's a will there is a way :LOL: :love:

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Taken today... (It's a miracle actually, they *never* all sleep in the same place, because Pixie (back) hates the other two)

IMG_6338_sm.jpg

IMG_6330_sm.jpg

IMG_6335_sm.jpg

(Everyone woke up...)

Basically, you'll probably find your kitten will crawl under the blanket with you.
I currently sleep in Pretzel shape because of them. Single bed... me, 3 cats... yeah.
In winter, I usually have an electric mattress topper on the sofa for them. (Lidl does a really good one, which is heat and time adjustable 1-6 heat, 1, 3, 6, 12 hours. I never go above 3 on the heat, because that gets quite warm. And I have 2 fleeces tucked over the top, and a few piled loose to snuggle under. They totally adore it.)
In Bavaria, back in February, when we had no heating for 2 weeks, the two electric pads (one on the sofa, one in bed) were on CONSTANT. I literally switched them off and back on, the moment I woke up, because it was so damn cold. Saved our bacon, I tell ya.

I have a big blue fleece (above) covering the bed to try and keep the stains to a minimum -- not that it makes much difference, because they tunnel under the duvet anyway... Then I just toss a bunch of fleeces on top... hey presto. :)