Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Blood in poop, looking for advice

Boronweronika

Lairian
Hi guys! I have big problem with nutrition of my 2 sphynx kittens. One is 7 months (neutered) male and 4 month female. We have a huge digestion problem. When I got my first cat was on a dry cat food, but he started having very loose poop I read it’s not healthy for them so we switched to wet high meet food (we tried different brands such as ferringa or wild freedom, but the best for him was premiere beef and turkey harts kitten). He often gets diarrhea even when I wanted to give him a small snack or other taste of same food. Then we took another one and I am struggling with them both. We tested poop in lab there is no parasites or salmonella, vet says they seem healthy and recommended to put them for a month on z/d hills veterinary diet. The problem is I tried this for a week once already and was even worse. They both have been antiwormed at same time recently (during treatment poop was fine) but now it started again and it’s even worse. They have a lot of blood in it and I wasn’t changing food. Please help do you have any ideas what could I try to do to help them?

Sheldon13

Staff member
What kinds of treats do you give? Do they steal any people food? Ever seen them eat non food items?

Sometimes it does just come down to finding the right food and maybe you just haven’t done that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boronweronika

Lairian
I was giving them the ones that look like sausages for cats with beef. They definitely can’t have food with chicken. What would be the best to try? Beef? Lamb?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! I have big problem with nutrition of my 2 sphynx kittens. One is 7 months (neutered) male and 4 month female. We have a huge digestion problem. When I got my first cat was on a dry cat food, but he started having very loose poop I read it’s not healthy for them so we switched to wet high meet food (we tried different brands such as ferringa or wild freedom, but the best for him was premiere beef and turkey harts kitten). He often gets diarrhea even when I wanted to give him a small snack or other taste of same food. Then we took another one and I am struggling with them both. We tested poop in lab there is no parasites or salmonella, vet says they seem healthy and recommended to put them for a month on z/d hills veterinary diet. The problem is I tried this for a week once already and was even worse. They both have been antiwormed at same time recently (during treatment poop was fine) but now it started again and it’s even worse. They have a lot of blood in it and I wasn’t changing food. Please help do you have any ideas what could I try to do to help them?
Hello, not sure of the time frame in which you changed all these foods, but if it's a short time frame this could be the cause. Switching foods can surely cause tummy issues. You need to stick to one food for awhile. We have been feeding wet and dry food for years with no issue. On another note, many vets will treat for giarida to be safe, its can't harm them as far as the meds are concerned. Giardia can give false negatives at times. Hope this helps. :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
I was giving them the ones that look like sausages for cats with beef. They definitely can’t have food with chicken. What would be the best to try? Beef? Lamb?

If you are concerned about allergies the best thing to do is put them on a novel protein (as in one they have not had before) and give it to them exclusively. You might try venison or rabbit. Instinct brand has a limited ingredient canned food with just rabbit and no other protein. They also have duck, turkey, and salmon options if by chance your kitties have not had any of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro