Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Blood in poop

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I only have one experience with bloody poop and it was when Finn had Giardia. Bloody diarrhea poop!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Is it every time they poop or just a one off event? Something as simple as constipation can even cause it. If it is constantly happening, I’d get them checked out.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Zab the color of the blood bright red vs dark can indicate where In the intestine the inflammation may be coming from

Foods, amount of fiber in food etc can effect poo
My boy had slight blood in stool with Acana food

I switched to Nutrisource and no more issues

Have you changed food recently?

Agree with vet visit

((Hugs)))

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it is Esso, our little boy, but I'm not sure. I have to check who of the trio it belongs to. None of them are acting sick, quite the opposite. Esso is the one that ate a part of a toy a while back, maybe it's still in there? The bloody poop comes now and then, it looks fresh red, it's not every time. He is a bit loose so my first thought is the food. I've not changed food. They are coming around the age of one so it's time to change food from kitten. He eats everything, and I mean EVERYTHING! I have no idea if he's eaten something he shouldn't during day when we're at work. I'm not worried but at the same time I am...

Sheldon13

Staff member
So you never saw the toy come out? I’d be concerned it’s stuck in the colon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So you never saw the toy come out? I’d be concerned it’s stuck in the colon.

Nope, I never saw it. The toy piece was so small, rolled up soft plastic from a butterfly, so it is very likely it came out already. Talked to the vet about it and he just said to keep calm, give him salmon oil for a couple of days, checked the poo. He was never sick from this, never constipated, just normal....he did have a little blood in the poo the day after, and now I see it again. Esso has been a bit loose in his poo for a while, not every day but now and then. It's not watery, but a bit loose. Tried to minimize amount of wet food when this happens and then it's okay again.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Well gosh I’m like you and wonder if he ate another toy or something?

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butchie had loose poop for 2-3 weeks last summer, with mucus and red blood in it occasionally. It coincided with the immense heatwave we had last year, so I thought that was why... But took him to the vet and he got a week course of antibiotic which cleared it right up! The vet thought he might have an inflammation of the large intestine, and it would seem he was right.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butchie had loose poop for 2-3 weeks last summer, with mucus and red blood in it occasionally. It coincided with the immense heatwave we had last year, so I thought that was why... But took him to the vet and he got a week course of antibiotic which cleared it right up! The vet thought he might have an inflammation of the large intestine, and it would seem he was right.
Mucus huh? No mucus here, but it's good of you to share your experience.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Today the whole trios poop was normal again. I've withheld the wet food for 24 hours. I wonder what's wrong. Allergy to the wet food? Maybe I should try to give it again, just to have something to compare with? I would have thought that the kibble would be harsher to the tummy and intestines, but maybe not?

GrimmReapersMom

Lairian
My Grimm the older boy had blood in the poop every time he pooped no matter the consistency. the vet did samples, we changed his food to Hills Feline digestive care prescription diet and it went away. My baby Reaper started getting the same thing. so i weaned him off the kitten food, and put him on the same as grimm. The consistency is now way better and little to no blood. I think they just have sensitive tummies. But do get it checked out.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Grimm the older boy had blood in the poop every time he pooped no matter the consistency. the vet did samples, we changed his food to Hills Feline digestive care prescription diet and it went away. My baby Reaper started getting the same thing. so i weaned him off the kitten food, and put him on the same as grimm. The consistency is now way better and little to no blood. I think they just have sensitive tummies. But do get it checked out.
We've also started with Hills and I see the difference....

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GrimmsMom thank you for sharing the positve results for your babies hills feline digestive care prescription food .

@Zab please keep us updated on your babies results with the hills digestive care .

Positve vibes!

Back