Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Blood in stool?

JessLynn

Lairian
Belza just recently went to the bathroom and afterwards (this may seem weird) but I always check her bum just incase to see if she has "leftovers" that I need to wipe up so she doesn't get it everywhere. But I noticed I need to wipe her and there was only a little to clean but I saw a faint trace of red on the wet nap. I then decided to check her poo and luckily she didn't cover it (maybe a sign of her saying look!) but it was very runny and I noticed some blood in it. Not very much, but I am still a little worried.
I always keep an eye on her stools to make sure she's healthy and she's never had this problem. Just last night when I poop scooped everything appeared normal.. I'm not sure if it had to do with the food I gave her? I fed it to her last night too so I don't think it's that.. I know this isn't normal.. but it's the first time it's happened. I'll keep an eye on her tonight to make sure things are okay. But does anybody have any suggestions?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Did you change the food? Changing diet can cause a bloody and a runny stool. If it continues see the vet, always the best practice!:Laugh:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope it's the food (that's easy to fix). For Nudie it was Giardia + Tritrichomonas- definately check with the vet if it persists.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It could just be irritation especially if it is a very small amount, just like people diarrhea can cause it or dry stools. I would keep an eye on it for a couple of days, as long as it is just a few spots, and not more. After that if it persists or gets worse, larger amnt make a vet apt.
good luck!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't have much more to add but if you do make an appointment with the vet, don't forget to bring a fresh sample with you.

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We just went through this with Jezebel last month. There was blood on her butt when I wiped her and bloody mucous at the end of her stool twice in three days, so I brought the second stool to the vet for analysis. He thought it would turn out to be a parasite so he started her on a course of Flagyl. His look under the microscope showed nothing and half way through the cycle of medicine he called to tell us that the lab results were negative too. He instructed us to finish up the Flagyl as a precaution and there hasn't been any blood since. The only thing that the vet has come up with is that she may have eaten something other than her food that she shouldn't have.

JessLynn

Lairian
Thanks for the feedback everyone! :ThumbsUp:
I've been keeping an eye on her stools and I haven't seen any more blood. Everything looks good and solid like normal.
I think she may have just ate something she wasn't supposed to.. She's like a little vacuum sometimes. :Dizzy:

Back