Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

blood on the floor (5 months old female)

GalHadad

Lairian
Hi, we have two young kittens. one is a fixed 8 months old male, and the other is a 5 months old female (not sterilized yet).
Today I've noticed a small drop of blood on the floor.
Any idea what it can be?
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-23 at 04.31.53 (1).jpeg

Sheldon13

Staff member
Is she in estrous? A tiny bit of blood is normal during this time. If it came from her stool I would be more concerned and want to see a vet.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

GalHadad

Lairian
Is she in estrous? A tiny bit of blood is normal during this time. If it came from her stool I would be more concerned and want to see a vet.

How can I know? (I don't think it came from her stool)
They both act very normal and playful.
Though I should note that they both had URI two weeks ago and just got off the antibitotics, but now they seem great (hardly any sneezing).

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think it could be estrus at 5 months. Hopefully that's all it is. I'm sure she's already licked herself clean though!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Usually the spay is scheduled around weight. I have heard vets say 4 pounds and I’ve heard 2 pounds. It yes you can get her spayed now. She needs to be out of her cycle though before the spay.

GalHadad

Lairian
I'm really scared, she just did it again but this time she was with us. The blood is coming from her rectal.
She was just out of litter (apparently had a diarrhea), and came to sit with us, then the blood came out (again, from her rectal).
We called emergency vet, but they told us that as long as she lethargic (and she is not, she is very playful), it should wait till morning.
Anyone know what can cause this? maybe antibiotics (she still takes them) or new wet food?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Yes there can be a mucous/bloody discharge. Don’t freak/panic. Here is some info that might help. My Cat Has Bloody Mucous It can usually be an easy fix. When you go to your vet be sure to bring a poop sample for them to test. But in many cases it might just mean a food change. Food changes can take a couple of weeks for the body to get used to, so don’t expect immediate results. Will be looking for updates. [USER=16399]@GalHadad

GalHadad

Lairian
Yes it there can be a mucous/bloody discharge. Don’t freak/panic. Here is some info that might help. My Cat Has Bloody Mucous It can usually be an easy fix. When you go to,vet be sure to bring a poo sample for them to,test. But in many cases it might just mean a food change. Food changes can take a couple of,weeks for the body to get used to, so don’t expect immediate results. Will be looking for updates. [USER=16399]@GalHadad
Thanks. She really seems fine, just woke up, came for some pets, ate her dry food and drank water. Noting seems to be wrong.
Maybe it’s because I introduce her to new grain free wet foods (instinct) cold turkey?
Will take her to the vet of course

GalHadad

Lairian
Hi guys, quick update: yesterday all day Carolyn was fine, very playful, eating, drinking etc... and no blood.
But this morning, we saw some blood on her stool :( it's red bright blood.
Our vet will open tomorrow (had personal issues so she didn't work yesterday and today). we will take her.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It could be a parasite called Giardia. My boy had it shortly after he came home as a kitten and we had the same issue with bloody diarrhea. Will be following for updates

oolahappi

Lairian
WARNING: graphic photo

My girl also gets a bloody poop chute. Sometimes it's everyday for a week, and then it goes away for a month, sometimes it's once or twice in a week, then I don't see it for a couple of months. She's healthy, happy, eating normally and playing. Went to the vet and did all the tests and all clear. It's a mystery.
IMG_1628.JPG

Back