Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Blood work results

huxtablelee

Lairian
Hello, I have a 7 year old Sphynx and the other day he was very lethargic and had vomited. I knew something was off so I brought him to the vets. According to his blood work, the vet said he may have Irritable Bowel Disease due to the high white blood cell count. I guess it's been high during multiple visits. She suggested steroids or chemo but due to his possible HCM I'm so scared to risk it. They put him on Hills skin/food sensitivity foods. If anyone with any familiarity with this issue please give me any suggestions you may have as I feel helpless and don't wanna do the wrong thing.

Attachments

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@huxtablelee sending lots of healing vibes. I don't have experience with IBD nor HCM so can't give any advice. Hope others will chime in.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I know it is scary. You say possible HCM. Was he scanned?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sorry to hear about Huxtable's health issues. Like @Catzzzmeow asked though, do you not know if he has HCM for sure..? It would seem you're having to consider limited treatment options based on a "maybe"... :confused: I'm also wondering why chemo would be considered for IBS - I have no experience with IBS in cats myself, but having read about it, that seems really strange!?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@huxtablelee checking in for updates
Hugs n positive vibes..
several of us have kitties with IBD and can chime in
how is he feeling today?
is he eating the new food?

CathyO

Lairian
@huxtablelee I will let you know what I find on one of my cats as she has showed up with a slightly high eosinophils (showing up as EOS on your attached blood work form) which is one type of white blood cells also. Found out about this after they did what they call a "senior cat" blood exam (more comprehensive) even though she is only a year old. My vets last advice was to get my cat tested for worms or see if she has any allergies. I know she reacts to beef and so I know she isn't on anything that could cause her allergies. She is otherwise acting all normal, etc...

Last edited: