Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bloody Bum/Stool

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I noticed when I picked up Finn this morning I had a smudge of blood on my hand... after investigating, his bum had some mucusy blood on it :( When I brought Finn in for his wellness check they suggested bringing in a poop sample since I didn't have time to collect a sample before bringing him that day. I'm hoping my mom will have time to bring the sample I found from this morning today (we have our final walk through for the house today after work) and we can try and find the cause for his bloody behind. My poor baby. I have no idea what it could be from as I'm feeding him the same protein as his breeder, possibly worms or constipated? Fingers crossed they can determine the cause from the sample. I know he was de-wormed when he was at the breeders. I did find bloody diarrhea in the litter box last weekend, but I couldn't determine whether it was from Yoda or Finn. I have been watching them both since, and both had normal poops every time I caught one in the box. Will update once I hear back from the vet!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Toa and Ross His poops are definitely firm but I wouldn't say they look too firm, when I watch him in the box he doesn't appear to be straining when he goes. I was wondering that as well, if he's constipated and pushing too hard?
I mentioned it to the breeder, shes thinking its probably just from the bones in his raw diet, that hes eating too quickly and not chewing the ground bone enough? I didn't even think of that or that it was possible, as I never had that happen with Yoda.
Hopefully the results come back sooner rather than later from the vet!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So just got the results from the vet. They said they found Giardia, but since he doesn't have diarrhea he doesn't want to start treatment. He told me if diarrhea or loose stool start, to call and he will immediately start treatment. Hopefully Finn is already fighting it off on his own since he has no diarrhea! Fingers crossed

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Toa and Ross thank you! This is his fighting Giardia face
46c052dfbffbda0d77debc144337c247.jpg

The parasite doesn’t stand a chance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bailey21 Awh healing vibes Finn
Learned something too .. I always thought if they tested positive for Giardia they got meds
I was not aware it some cases it can clear up on its own

I read this
"Will Giardia go away on its own in cats?
Dogs and cats become infected when they swallow Giardia cysts that have been passed in the feces of infected animals; this route of infection is called fecal-oral. ... It can occur every time that animal has a bowel movement or only occasionally. Sometimes it may go away on its own, with intermittent flare-ups."

Keep us updated often !

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Annejo12 @susi794 thank you!

@Yoda mom I had no idea it could clear on it’s own as well! I feel awful I think I worried the breeder she is going to treat all of her cats just incase, especially since she has a pregnant first time mamma right now.

Finn is doing great! I’m keeping a close eye on him as I’m worried about a URI. Sometimes he sounds wheezy, but I can’t tell if it’s part of his chirpy purr or a URI starting. So far poop has been great, no more blood and still no diarrhea.

We officially get our keys to the house tomorrow and start the big move, I’m hoping to cause as little stress to my boys as possible. Although they’re both very laid back. Finn is a purr monster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Glad to hear Finn is doing well!
Congratulations, it's officially now....you're going to live together on your own. Woohoo! You must be excited. Good luck with moving.

Can't watch the video now (on my way), watch it later.

@denise irwin hugs for you. Can imagine your happy for your daughter to have her own place but also a liitle sad to see her go

denise irwin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Toa and Ross.

It is bitter sweet. I have already been crying today and I'm sure there will be lots tomorrow. I am so proud of her but will miss her very much even though she is a big pain on my butt most of the time lol

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I'm ready to kick Giardia right in the butt. This parasite is no joke! I noticed last Sunday that Finn had a very soft poo, I tried to scoop it right away to inspect for blood, ect, and it was literally dripping through the slots in the scooper. Yuck!! I told my breeder that his poo was icky. I had originally let her know about the positive diagnosis right away and she immediately got me meds for Finn and Yoda as well as for her entire gang, but since my boys had good poop we weren't in a rush to get me the meds (we were hoping to mail since she lives 2 hours away now)

I met her about 40 mins away on Monday morning for the meds she got from her vet for my boys to start Tuesday, since on the final day of treatment you're supposed to steam clean the entire house (anything the kitties have come in contact with) which Saturday would be best for me. Monday night Finn had explosive diarrhea! It was all over the carpet in the kitty room, and tracked all the way into the living room onto my boyfriend who noticed he was smelly. Thank god I was already sleeping :ROFLMAO:

So I started the meds Tuesday morning. They absolutely HATE it. Finn isn't so bad since he only gets 1 ml. But Yoda... he literally spits it out, and Wednesday morning he even puked it up onto the carpet, and I had only given him 1/4 of his dosage.

I just bought a steam cleaner today. Looks like I'll be steaming the whole house Saturday morning, and hopefully that will rid this ugly Giardia! I had no idea this parasite was so resilient :arghh:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh yikes! Sorry to hear this. Tryimg to kill a parasite isn't easy. Hopefully the meds will do the trick. Srnding healing vibes to Finn and hugs to you

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I also recommend wiping the area in front of the litter box entry area with a disinfectant often as well as buy new litter boxes after meds are done. You got this.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow thank you for the tips. I’m debating on switching to stainless steel boxes soon. Might be worth the hefty price if they don’t harbour bacteria, ect.

@Toa and Ross thank you! I’m sure a selfie Saturday may include some steam cleaning action lol

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bailey21 positve vibes your way!

Btw, another member went to a restaurants supply store and purchased large stainless trays to use as litterboxes

Keep us updated often !

My moms vet had her give her kitty a product called diareze
Not sure if thst and 100% pure canned pumpkin ( no spices ) would be beneficial .
You could ask your vet

You have had a busy couple of weeks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 13

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom That's actually a really good idea about the restaurant store! I never wouldv'e thought of that, I'll have to look into it. Thank you for the tip. Right now the boys are both on fenbendazole for 5 days, and on the 5th day I have to steam the whole house.

I'm hoping I won't see anymore soft poop or diarrhea, Finn has only ever had bad poop twice. I will look into the Diar-Eze, thank you! :)

Back