Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

bloody nail

ssummers

Lairian
I was cleaning Coraline's nails tonight (it has only been a couple days since the last time I did it), and her pinky claw on the front was especially cruddy. She started freaking out when I cleaned away the crud, and then it started bleeding, but I can't really tell what's wrong with it. Has anyone had this happen before? I'm planning to take her to the vet in the a.m. to get it checked out. Is that the right thing to do?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
You where cleaning and not clipping?
Is the blood coming from the nail or toe? Top or bottom?
From what you have said it sounds like she has cut herself or something?
If it is bleeding a lot or just a little but will not stop then I would see the vet.
Like the others said baking soda is great if it is coming from the nail. if it is the toe or any other area (my dog is always getting cut) I just seal the spot with a antibiotic oitment it works well.

Keep us updated.

ssummers

Lairian
The vet said Coraline just split open the casing of her nail somehow, but he said it doesn't look irritated or infected, so I should just keep an eye on it. It was kind of an expensive trip just to hear nothing is wrong, but better that than ignoring something that is bad! Thanks, all!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
The vet said Coraline just split open the casing of her nail somehow, but he said it doesn't look irritated or infected, so I should just keep an eye on it. It was kind of an expensive trip just to hear nothing is wrong, but better that than ignoring something that is bad! Thanks, all!

Hmmm cats have a casing that splits and they shed often, so I wonder why this would cause it to bleed?
Glad it is better!:ThumbsUp:

ssummers

Lairian
Hmmm cats have a casing that splits and they shed often, so I wonder why this would cause it to bleed?
Glad it is better!:ThumbsUp:

Yeah, Coraline's nails shed like that normally. Apparently, this one split and then probably caught on something that ripped it to the quick. It's already looking a little better though! Thanks for all the sphynx love!

Back