Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Blue got a sister!

nakeyblue

Lairian
Hi everyone, our boy Bluey got a baby sister this weekend. Her name is Blossom and she is dilute tortie. She is sooo sweet and very chill. She doesnt pay any mind to him and doesn't care about being around a new cat. However, Blue isn’t happy about it. We have tried a couple meal times together and one time we played with her and cautiously let Blue around. He has been hissing and once he jumped at her. We got home with her Monday night so this is really only day 2. I get it he might be a little stressed and confused with a new baby. Hoping for better interactions soon!! Any tips or personal experiences are appreciated.
33370687-EE15-4DD8-AC95-EE53D082E63C.jpeg
5AD96FFD-7FF9-4665-AE4B-D4415D4FB725.jpeg

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Oh look at that little cutie! On the average it can take a couple of weeks until they settle into the new norm. I always had luck playing with a toy like DaBird or a string toy that I could swing between both. I only let them polar with any string toys under our supervision. The older cat usually becomes focused on the toy and not the kitten so much. There will probably be some rough moments as your older baby most likely lets her know he is boss. We humans always stress when that happens, but it is natural. I also will recommend throwing a blanket in the dryer and every night try to get them to snuggle beside/on you. Once he sees she is not a threat and he feels the comfort, he might associate snuggling with her sooner.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Go slow. Switch up their blankets so he gets to know her smell, feed them so they can see each other but don't let them get too close, etc. If they are willing to play and ignore each other you can play with da bird and offer it to one then the other. You want him them to associate positive memories with each other. Did I mention go slow?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Blossom is gorgeous! And so adorable. It might take a while for Blue to accept the new baby. It's already a good sign Blossom isn't impressed by his hissing.

nakeyblue

Lairian
Go slow. Switch up their blankets so he gets to know her smell, feed them so they can see each other but don't let them get too close, etc. If they are willing to play and ignore each other you can play with da bird and offer it to one then the other. You want him them to associate positive memories with each other. Did I mention go slow?
yes most definitely!! we are going to do feeding times together but at a distance and try short play sessions everyday and guage how it is going. today was much better!! no more hissing :) now he just wants to bat her with his paw but no claws.

nakeyblue

Lairian
Blossom is gorgeous! And so adorable. It might take a while for Blue to accept the new baby. It's already a good sign Blossom isn't impressed by his hissing.
Thank you!! she's a real sweetie. When we went to get her we saw that some of the bigger boys played rough with her but the breeder said she always holds her own with the big boys :D

nakeyblue

Lairian
Oh look at that little cutie! On the average it can take a couple of weeks until they settle into the new norm. I always had luck playing with a toy like DaBird or a string toy that I could swing between both. I only let them polar with any string toys under our supervision. The older cat usually becomes focused on the toy and not the kitten so much. There will probably be some rough moments as your older baby most likely lets her know he is boss. We humans always stress when that happens, but it is natural. I also will recommend throwing a blanket in the dryer and every night try to get them to snuggle beside/on you. Once he sees she is not a threat and he feels the comfort, he might associate snuggling with her sooner.
For sure and I feel for Blue because he's like who the heck is this.. I thought I was your baby?! It is stressful; we want to make sure we don't move too fast or make either kitty scared. Today was so much better :) no hissing. We let them have a play session but were very careful to hold Blue back when needed. He chased her around some and tried to bat at her a few times but nothing with claw and it didn't appear to be super mean so I feel more hopeful after today!! I am excited to see them snuggle together eventually so we will have to try the blanket thing out maybe later this week or next when he appears to be more comfortable with her.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What a cutie! Most adult, or near adult cats won’t attack a kitten. They will hiss and growl, maybe hit at the kitten, but won’t hurt them, IF they have someplace to get away.
As long as someone can supervise them, I would let them be in the same room and get acquainted fairly quickly.
When Marcus arrived, Cleo had what Bob called “the circle of death,” which was how close he could get to her before being hissed and growled at, and Cleo retreating. That circle started out as the entire house, and got smaller and smaller, until 4 days later, they were playing together. We did feed separately, and Marcus spent time in our bedroom when we couldn’t supervise them for about two weeks, until we knew they were okay.