Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Blueberry not feeling well..

J

Jinxlover

Okay..I had to take Blueberry to the vet. She has not been feeling good. She's not sick but has some poos and has just been off a bit.
The vet told me it was the kittens to "Get those kittens off of her" at almost 8 weeks they are plenty old enough to not be nursing.. They are taking to much out of her at her age and making her run down and sick. She had no fever or anything. he said it was just the kittens..
CRAP!!! Now what??? I will never be able to keep her from nursing the babies if they are in the same house. I don't know what to do?? I know the babies should be nursing for a while yet, but I cant let them kill Blueberry. WHAT TO DO??? HELP!!!

EDIT:: She is on great food she eats EVO.. So I know that's not an issue.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't have any advice, as I don't know anything about breeding. Just wanted to send well wishes and support to you and Momma Berry

sphynxmommy

Lairian
When my kitty...not a sphynx, had kittens she didnt let them nurse after a certain amount of time. You might need to help blueberry turn the kittens away. Is blueberry turning the kittens away? Naturally she should be teaching them to eat regular food and not allowing them to nurse but she may need your help with this. I hope she feels better

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
When I visited Tapanga, I got to meet her Momma. She was still nursing the kittens at something like 7 weeks. I asked the breeder if Mom would hit a point where she'd tell the little freeloaders that the milk bar was closed. The breeder said she wouldn't and that Sphynx will nurse their babies forever, even if it makes them sick. I believe she ends up separating the Mom from the babies but I'm sorry I don't know when that is.

J

Jinxlover

Oh she will not turn them away,she would let the nurse tell they were old and gray.. Most Sphynx kittens will nurse tell they are in there new homes..

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have dealt with many kittens.
Get some bitter apple and put it on her nipples.
When the kittens try to nurse they will taste it and stop nursing.
BTW my Coco nursed Stormy her daughter that I kept until she was 6 months.
I had to put a stop to it.
My Meeko cut her kitten off at 8 weeks so he went to Coco.
I would be feeding Blueberry kitten food also because it is good for nursing moms.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Susan- "freeloader the milk is closed" haha, nice way of putting it (sorry dunno how to quote correctly)

Maybe try seperating momma and babies in seperate rooms. or you could make blueberry a nice comfy spot up high somewhere, where baby kittens cant reach her..?

Hope she feels better soon :(

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Oh Shannnon poor you for the stress and poor Blueberry. At 8 weeks it is ok to have them stop nursing especially because of what it is doing to Blueberry. I would get one of those suits Gizmo just showed us but for a quick fix without keeping her away from her babies that I can come up with is to get a baby onesey and just cut a hole for her tail, maybe that will keep them off. From your pictures they all seem good in size so they are eating, maybe give a bit of extra food to try to deter them more. Keep Blueberry on kitten food that will give her a bit of an extra boost too.
Relax you have done a great job!:ThumbsUp:

nativekiwi

Lairian
Hey scary stuff, milk fever or lack of calcium during lactation can kill dogs really quickly and i'm assuming it same for cats. make sure she getting calcium, kitten food is great idea. Can you get calcium powder to sprinkle on wet food? The T shirt is good idea. If the kittens stay off her for about a week her milk will dry up. They need to feed to produce milk so if you can get them off her for a while it should be all good. She won't be keen on them sucking and biting dry titties!!!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think the onesie is a good idea with the tail hole, at least that way the kittens won't be able to push the top up...although it may cause some issues ewith going to the toilet...:Dizzy:

X

susi794

Staff member
Make sure she has a good vitamin and access to the kitten food. You might also want to pick up a milk replacer and mix it up in a bowl that you offer on the floor for both Blueberry and the kits. It says it's good for lactating queens and my girls love it when I get it out to bottle feed. You only have a couple more weeks to go. Try seperating them for several hours every day...offer them the milk replacement, and make sure they can maybe free feed as they want to eat. It will help some. Put a sweater or shirt on her that covers her belly like some of the others suggested. Do you have a door on your bedroom? Maybe keep Blueberry in there?

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Feed her Glop! lol I use the onesies on my Crestie, you can get em from a thrift store ,and just button the two side snaps leave the middle one open for a tailhole, lol

susi794

Staff member
That's right---use the glop! That should satisfy them all enough to make it the rest of the way through this.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh poor Blueberry, it' a shame the vet didn't give you a little more advice on what to do, but seems like there are a lot of good ideas from experienced people on here. Good luck, hope she is better soon, bless her.

J

Jinxlover

Oh poor Blueberry, it' a shame the vet didn't give you a little more advice on what to do, but seems like there are a lot of good ideas from experienced people on here. Good luck, hope she is better soon, bless her.

My vet thinks I'm nuts for still letting them nurse. He told me to just keep them apart..LOL ..... YA RIGHT!! The babies are in the bathroom with the door shut and she's just walking around the house Yelling like a fool, you know the loud scream that cats do..:Dizzy:..

The kittens do eat well, they eat canned food 3x a day and nibble on dry all day.

Susi I will go get some moms milk for them, that's a good idea. I can mix it with there canned food.

Blueberry is getting thin, just a few weeks ago I was on here gripping she was fat.:LOL: Teach me..

ckutkuhn7

Banned
LOL... You know what, that was the first thing that popped in my mind. I'll have Christina make me something..LOL....

Great - let me know what color! I already have her measurements so I'm good there. I can make an extra long shirt (not a tank) and something that is snug around her belly so they can't get to her. I do need her belly measurement I think. I dont recall getting that and my order book is at my other house right now. LOL :Dizzy:

Back