Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

bonding

ktate88

Banned
Well Niles and I had a long first day together flying back from PA to FL... I think it helped our bonding!

I would pet him when I'd give him food, sit with him sometimes when eating. He slept in the bed with me the first few weeks before feeling comfortable enough to sleep in his own bed.

We go on car rides, go to petsmart and petco.

I gave him lots of treats when petting him and repeatedly saying his name until he began to respond.

Playing with him-- laser toy, jingle balls, floppy toys, catnip, etc.

Gizzymom

Banned
I agree with ktate...

Just spend as much time as possible with your baby giving your undivided attention. Petting them, letting them snuggle up with you, playing, etc. I think the most important thing is talking to them. Gizmo will sit and look at me when I am talking to him and if I change the tone of my voice to be really "sweet", he gets all excited. I let Giz sleep in my bed, so I often wake uo with his little body wrapped around my head or neck... I never push him away (like I am annoyed) cuz I know how much he loves it.

Also, not sure if you work and are gone for long hours (like I am)... but if you are, I reccommend leaving a tshirt or something you have just worn laying in a comfy spot for him / her to sleep on. They are very attracted to your scent and feel comforted being near it.

Hope this helps... Welcome... and congrats on your new baby!!:ThumbsUp:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think the most important thing we do is talk to each other. I talk nonstop to Pedda. Kind of like she's a human friend held captive and forced to listen to all my silliness lol. And she talks back too. I firmly believe she understands my words and I know for sure that I understand the tone of voice behind her noises.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They are impossible NOT to bond with. They will seek you out if you don't give them enough attention.
Talk with them, hug and kiss a lot, pet, play. They want to be close to you all the time normally.

If not, lower temperature in home hahaha!!! ;) (don't kill me, it was a joke)

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They are impossible NOT to bond with. They will seek you out if you don't give them enough attention.
Talk with them, hug and kiss a lot, pet, play. They want to be close to you all the time normally.

Actually being the warmest thing in the house is a great idea. I also had a friend that sprinkled herself with catnip and tuna fish juice so the cat would cuddle with her and not her husband.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Actually being the warmest thing in the house is a great idea. I also had a friend that sprinkled herself with catnip and tuna fish juice so the cat would cuddle with her and not her husband.
Ye I know, I don't introduce sleeping bags and warm blankets around the home (when I am home) until the kitten has been with me for a while just to be the warmest and cosiest thing around but to actually lower the temperature in the home just to make him chilly and come to me more would be a bit too harsh I think. :D

Catnipidea was kinda funny also hehe. Spray myself with tuna juice I think I'll skip though :D

Anyway, these cats will bond with you no matter what so don't worry.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of bonding, Leo tied to bond his own way the other night. Admin and I want up to bed and as always Leo joined us and curled up on the pillow slightly under the cover. (usually he goes all the way under by my legs) Well admin fell asleep and I was in and out trying to catch the weather when Leo put his face against mine. Cutest thing ever :Adore: yeh that what I was thinking until all the sudden he bit my lip and would not let go :Hysterical: what the heck then I get him off and he does it again. I was thinking if I fall asleep he is gona keep doing this so I slept with my face covered all night.

TotenEngel

Banned

lol, since we turned the heating on Smeagol has spent more time on the radiator in the office than with us, when I looked it was almost set to max, so I have actually turned it down to half heat!!! Suddenly, we are seeing more of him!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I take my Sphynx everywhere with me..PetSmart, Grandma's, outdoor markets, Friends houses, etc.. Lots of time together. I take them walking in their stroller on every nice day I can get. Learning their personalities. Talking to them. I play with them during certain hours of the day, I sleep with them curled under my arms everynight, they follow me everywhere and chatter about it all the while. I've never had a breed that was so attached to me that it hurt just to leave them for a few hours.

kiki3898

Lairian
Listening to all these post which I ty for I think we are bonding pretty good I play with Gracie alot open window so she can look outside and i look with her to and she lays beside me when Im on computer and she sleeps with me she gets unde covers by my legs in the morning she is my alarm clock and she will take hold of my nose like a snaping turtle she wont let go lol Im guessing she wont me to get up and feed her lol I give her treats and also a little of what ever im eating we are becoming best buds Im loving her so much

kiki3898

Lairian
I take my Sphynx everywhere with me..PetSmart, Grandma's, outdoor markets, Friends houses, etc.. Lots of time together. I take them walking in their stroller on every nice day I can get. Learning their personalities. Talking to them. I play with them during certain hours of the day, I sleep with them curled under my arms everynight, they follow me everywhere and chatter about it all the while. I've never had a breed that was so attached to me that it hurt just to leave them for a few hours.
yes I hate to leave her for a few hrs also

ktate88

Banned
Listening to all these post which I ty for I think we are bonding pretty good I play with Gracie alot open window so she can look outside and i look with her to and she lays beside me when Im on computer and she sleeps with me she gets unde covers by my legs in the morning she is my alarm clock and she will take hold of my nose like a snaping turtle she wont let go lol Im guessing she wont me to get up and feed her lol I give her treats and also a little of what ever im eating we are becoming best buds Im loving her so much
Sounds like you are doing well!!! Niles also does the snapping turtle move in the mornings. If his fish breath tongue up my nose doesn't work he moves to licking and biting my eyebrows and eye lashes... great little interactive alarm clock! I generally move him under the covers or will cave and get up to feed him. Pesky little booger! <3

He also talks to me. I get home to the apartment and he comes running and chattering. We love on each other for a few minutes as if he needs to tell me about his dreams, the birds, and sounds.

I take Alice everywhere, like a few others said. She goes to petco, to the grocery store on short trips (in her stroller), we go to the park, and for walks, we visit our friends and she gets to see other kitties (she's not a huge fan of that). She even goes with me to fast food drive thrus with me. She sleeps with me at night and I think since we're always together she's bonded with me a lot.

I also talk to her all the time, though she tends to ignore it but I think she just thinks I talk too much and doesn't always want to listen.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

It sounds like you and Gracie are becoming great friends!