Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bowdie James and Louis Henry

Kattie1011

Lairian
Hello all, Kattie here! I've been following Sphynxlair on Instagram but obviously just recently joined the community here.

So my wonderful Sphynx journey began on April 24, 2013. Flashback--1996 when I first set my 9 year old eyes on a Sphynx in a window in downtown Charlotte, North Carolina. I didn't know what it was all I knew was that it slightly resembled a baby monkey and a human newborn baby--two of my favorite things. I knew then that whatever that "thing" was, I would have one, someday! Now getting back to 2013. I was now 26 years old, a single mom to an amazing 5 year old little boy and I had just lost my 17 year old Sheltie. I was utterly lost. One late night in April 2013 I was googling images of random cute baby animals and came across a photo of a gorgeous Sphynx. I couldn't help but click and follow the link. The link took me to a Sphynx Rescue just south of Salt Lake City, UT where I currently reside. The kitty in the photo was up for adoption! I kept telling myself that it was too soon to get another pet and I felt that I would be getting a new pet for the wrong reasons; trying to fill the void my sweet Mayzie Ann left when she passed away a few short weeks prior. I closed my laptop and told myself that I would check the site again and if the kitten was still available I would inquire about him and if he was still available then it was meant to be. Over the following weeks I couldn't stop thinking about the sweet faced kitty I had seen and before I knew it I was already in love with him and picking names out. On that seventh day I got back on the site and he was still waiting for his forever home. I immediately contacted the Rescue group and was put in contact with his foster family. It turns out he wasn't exactly a "baby kitten" anymore, he was already 9 months old, but that didn't matter to me. I made arrangements to drive down and meet him the next day. When I arrived at the foster family's home I was greeted at the door by the sweet boy I had been dreaming of for days and days. I knew the moment he climbed onto my lap and started chewing my hair that I had to have him. He owned my heart completely in that instant. After a very long week of home and reference checks and a neuter procedure I finally got to go and pick my baby boy up. My son and I had picked out the name Bowdie James, and it fit him perfectly. He was so scared on the car ride home it broke my heart. He sat on my lap and just as an 18 wheeler passed our car he peed ALL OVER MY LAP! You know you truly love something when it pees all over your favorite jeans and you could care less about the jeans and more about the comfort of the cat. His first week home was a little rough as we also have a boxer, Billie Jean, and Bowdie was not used to dogs. One day I woke up to a commotion and to my surprise Bowdie and Billie were chasing each other around and playing. It was smooth sailing from there. I had never owned a cat before much less a very high maintenance cat. I did hours of research and made sure I got all the "right" things. I'm sure I drove out veterinarian bonkers those first few months. Eventually I got more comfortable with his needs and felt more secure that I was doing all the right things etc. Shortly after we celebrated Bowdie's 1st birthday on July 25, 2013 my mom had a very bad car accident and needed a lot of help so I moved her in with us. She wanted nothing to do with Bowdie at first and thought he was "the ugliest rat" she'd ever seen. (I'm sure all Sphynx parents hear this so often that we just stop hearing it after a while lol.) Since I was working full time, she was home with the animals most days recovering. After a few weeks of her being with us I'd come home and she'd have Bowdie swaddled and would be rocking him in the rocking chair. She couldn't help but fall in love with him, no one can. To know a Sphynx is to love a Sphynx. Eventually Bowdie went from being MY cat to HER cat. I was okay with it because I knew he was helping her recover and without him I don't know how well her recovery may have been. People say I saved him, but honestly he saved us in more ways than I can say.

Fast forward to February 2015--I was (still am) planning a wedding and in the process of buying a home with my fiancé and realized I was going to have to leave my sweet Bowdie behind with my mom, I just don't have it in me to break that bond--it would be doing a huge disservice to both of them if I was selfish enough to take him away. So at that point I got a hold of the same rescue group that I got Bowdie from but they didn't have any available and weren't expecting anything for quite a while. But they did refer me to a very reputable breeder in Northern Utah. I am always very weary about breeders and prefer to adopt rather than buy--but I did my research, I asked a lot of questions, demanded a lot of explanations and answers from the breeder I was referred to. I know I irritated her with all my questions, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't giving money to a kitty mill and buying a very expensive animal that would ultimately suffer health issues due to breeding issues. After a month of back and forth and a lot of thinking and discussing with my very patient and understanding fiancé, we decided to put down a deposit on the cutest red/white male. Waiting for him to be old enough to come home with us was excruciating. It was like waiting to adopt a human child. When he finally turned 12 weeks old I was told by the breeder that he had not yet reached 2lbs and could not be neutered yet so I would have to wait even longer. I was heart broken, but I also wanted what was best for him. Earlier this week my family got news that my very ill grandmother (who is basically a second mother to me, she is my best friend) was not doing very well and that we needed to go up to Wyoming to say our goodbyes. We raced up there and she was still holding on. Of course she was, she the strongest and most stubborn woman I've ever known! I got to talk to her about wedding plans and how we are getting married on the steps of the church her great-grandfather built in the very town she was currently residing in. (We planned this specifically for her, before she got even sicker, so that she could attend the wedding and watch my grandfather walk me down the isle which has always been her dream.) We sang her songs and my son told her about the kitty we were getting. Randomly, my son (7 years old)turns to me and says "Can we name the kitty Louis? So it's like grandma's name, Louise?" I cried and told him of course. He's such a thoughtful little guy. We ultimately decided his full name to be King Louis Henry. Henry is my grandfather's middle name. Yesterday we had to leave so we could get back to work and on our way we got a call from the breeder that our baby was finally ready to come home. I explained the situation and she kindly offered to let us stop by on our way home and pick Louis up well after midnight. We haven't even had him 24 hours yet but he is such a little light. My grandma is still holding on, though probably not much longer. I know that my son picked the perfect name for Louis because he's got all the charm, spunk, and stubbornness of his namesake. We all love him so much already. He is the light in my world during one of my darkest times. He is doing well with the dog, although still a little unsure of her as she is about 80lbs and he is 2.1lbs. I also have Bowdie here with me because my mother is still sitting at the bedside of my grandmother keeping vigil with my grandpa. So far Bowdie has been very protective of Louis and likes to lay next to him and watch him sleep and also leads him to the food bowl and litter box.

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel! Just wanted to tell our whole story, because I think it's a pretty beautiful one. In the darkest of times, there are always silver linings--sometimes you just have to look a little harder and dig a little deeper to see them; however, they are always there.
xoxo-Kattie

Last edited by a moderator:

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I just loved reading your post. Congratulations on little Louis. Your story really hit my heart. Please try to share a pic of this special new baby . What a blessing to enter your life just when you needed it most.

Patti

Kattie1011

Lairian
I just loved reading your post. Congratulations on little Louis. Your story really hit my heart. Please try to share a pic of this special new baby . What a blessing to enter your life just when you needed it most.

Patti
Photo of Louis on my profile avatar. I will post more photos tonight! Stay tuned! Thank you for reading and your kind words! <3

xoxo-Kattie

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! It so nice of you that you're looking at what's best for Bowdie James and that you're willing to leave him with your mother. And congrats with Louis Henry! Hope to hear more stories of these two nakeds.

Wish you all the strenght you need with saying goodbey to your grandmother.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Kattie1011 and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! What a great story, thanks for sharing it, and your album pics are great! Please enjoy our wonderful sphynx community! (y)

Kattie1011

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair! It so nice of you that you're looking at what's best for Bowdie James and that you're willing to leave him with your mother. And congrats with Louis Henry! Hope to hear more stories of these two nakeds.

Wish you all the strenght you need with saying goodbey to your grandmother.
Thank you so much!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. Special story, it was.
Handsome little gentleman you have.