Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bowel obstruction

Southern Belle

Lairian
My Heiress (6 months) is very ill. She was fine - perfect - until Friday night when she suddenly vomited all her food. Saturday she wouldn’t eat or drink and laid around. Saturday night she vomited bile? with a single roundworm (identified by vet). Sunday did not eat or drink. I have de-wormer and began syringe feeding pedialyte. Vomited again kind of brown liquid which I think may indicate bowel obstruction. Monday morning at vet she got anti-nausea med, de-wormer, and subQ fluids. Did not eat or drink Monday. I’m attempting syringe feeding with limited success. She peed in box Monday night. She does not seem to be in pain even on physical exam. Just tired and listless. Calling vet first thing this morning. I have to go to work today. Husband will take her in. I appreciate any advice about bowel blockage, roundworm, syringe feeding - she refuses to swallow and manages to spit most of it out. Prayers needed

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We just went through a similar issue although there was no indication of worms. She went from fine on Thursday to throwing up her food Friday. Through the weekend she was unable to keep anything down and would still puke a brownish bile.

We took Cleo to the emergency vet where she was xrayed and put on an IV cocktail of antibiotics, a motility drug and sedative. They did perform a surgery but did not find a blockage but did notice the upper intestines lacked motiliy. She was discharged with a variety of prescriptions that she took for a couple of weeks. The vet recommended a digestive health diet, so we put her on Science Diet i/d. She has been doing well ever since.

I hope it works out for yourself.

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The emergency vet treatment was expensive over $4000.00. $2700.00 of that was for the surgery that was unnecessary. Following this experience I realized the vet could have used less invasive techniques to determine if the bowel was obstructed.

We did not have pet insurance at the time but we do now.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Southern Belle , hugs amd positive vibes for sweet Heiress.
My vet usually suggests to start with an X-ray of the abdomen.

)I do not have pet insurance with my older adoptees everything would probably be "pre existing ".
I got a care credit card ( application at vets office and approval with a phone call- they start with a credit limit thst is easily impressed with just a phone call ). They offer promos for charges ove $200 - 6 mos no interest if paid in full.
You have to stay on top of ot or it will eat up in outrageous compounding interest !
But if you are financially savvy - I have used it for years and never paid s dime of interest . The minium payment does not pay it off in 6 mos so really need to keep on top of it and pay off all of it in the promo period
I even used it when I had my Max rottie cremated . Vet went 18 mos om a promo for a $450 bill.
It's up to each vet office thr promo length. My current vet omly does 6 mos promo no matter the amount .
Just wanted to share because I was at a loss of what to do when the vet emergency arised .
Sorry do long but just wanted to share ).

My boy was given cerenia in the past thst worked well.
I heloved my mom with her kitty by having the vet show me hoe to give subQ fluids at home if that is so,strong you are comfortable with . I bought a bag of fluid thst came with the necessary equipment from the vet .
I just put kitty on a warm towel and hung the set up from the bathroom door .

I have used the unflavored clear the pedialtye too. I start to gently use the syringe plunger to the inside side of the cheek .
Ask your vet if nutrical supplement paste would be beneficial .

My vet always does a work up treatment plan line item of costs , tests to sign off on. We discuss each option for the kitties needs and when we will do each one or not .
I ask them to do the least intrusive first . She has me take a picture of ex rays with my cell phone so I have it in case I need it for an after hours clinic .

I am sending a lair full of prayers for sweet Heiress. will be following closely for updates
Can you think of anything she may have gotten into swallowed ? Toys ? Plants ?

Did the vet do an abdominal X-ray today?

Many of her the symptoms are like the ones listed for roundworms .
Sending prayers it is not an obstruction but rather more easily treated roundworms

Last edited:

Southern Belle

Lairian
As always, I appreciate the advice and continued support. She had two X-rays today. No blockage seen. Confirmed stool in colon as felt on physical exam yesterday. No gas buildup behind stool. Physical exam today is normal and she does not appear to have pain. She simply won’t eat, drink or move around. They showed me how to force feed with a syringe and gave Science Diet urgent care a/d. Called it “recovery food”. Instructions are to stay the course until Thursday morning. If no improvement we will do X-ray series with barium.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry to hear about Heiress' health issues! I hope she'll start to eat and drink by herself soon and that it's not a blockage. Hugs and positive vibes sent!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Southern Belle , comtinued healing vibes!
There is a kitty glop recipe shared by Susi you can ask your vet if this would be OK of she doesn't eat the prescription food

can also feed him glop--it is extremely healthy and meant to fatten up sick or orphaned cats. Here are a couple of recipes for it:
ALTABELLA CATTERY'S KITTEN GLOP

INGREDIENTS:
1 lg. can evaporated milk (not Milnot)
2 tbsp. plain yogurt (not diet)
2 tbsp. mayonnaise (real)
1 tbs. Karo Syrup (light)
1 pkg. Knox gelatin
1 egg yolk (beaten)
1 cup of liquid unflavored Pedialyte

INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix milk, yogurt, mayonnaise and syrup together well.
Bring 1 cup water to boil and mix in Knox gelatin; set aside.
Mix egg yolk with small amount of milk mixture and beat well.
Add gelatin and water to milk mixture and beat well. Add in egg yolk mixture and beat well.
Pour into a freezer safe bowl or similar type of bowl with a cover and set in refrigerator.
We usually use Ice Cube Trays for our glop pudding. Pudding will last for two weeks covered in refrigerator.
Always warm pudding to room temperature (milk form) before feeding.
It is very rich in calcium, this pudding can be used as a supplement for kittens, sick cats and show cats to put on weight. Several Veterinarians have approved this recipe as being balanced and nutritious.

FRANNY SYUFY'S ABOUT.COM GLOP

Popularly known as "Kitty Glop" among breeders, this recipe is packed with nutrition for orphaned kittens, nursing mother cats and their babies, cats recuperating from illness and older cats who need nutritional supplementing. Some recipes call for canned goats milk; if you have it readily available it's fine, otherwise canned evaporated cows' milk works well.¹ The recipe sets up to a gelatin-like consistency in the refrigerator, and can be stored there for up to two weeks. It can also be frozen in an ice tray for convenience in serving. To serve, warm to room temperature. Do not pour back unused portions into the mix.

12 oz. of water
1 envelope Knox Gelatin
1 12oz can of whole evaporated milk (not skim)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons plain yogurt, not nonfat

Boil the water, add the gelatin - stir well. Add the following ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition: 1/2 of the canned milk, mayonnaise and yogurt; the rest of the milk. Variations include the addition of kitty vitamins, acidophilus, and/or pureed baby food meat such as lamb, chicken, or beef. Franny adds: "I have seen variations with two egg yolks added, but I would caution against this, due to the risk of salmonella with raw eggs. For very easy mixing, you can use a blender at low speed, but I also like a bowl with a wire whisk."

Happy there is no blockage seen on X-ray -
Did they do blood work?
Could all this be from the round worm ? Amd clear up once the dewormer worked ?
I would definitely ask the vet before intrusive procedures

What dewormer did the vet prescribe ? Be sure to follow their instructions amd sanitize .
Some worms can be passed onto to humans .

@Southern Belle How is Ollie?

Did they suggest dewormer for him too ?
Did you update the breeder ? I would give a call just to let them know -
They may have some suggestions

Last edited:

Southern Belle

Lairian
Appreciate the Glop recipes.

Did they do blood work? No blood work yet.

Could all this be from the round worm ? He seems stumped, but yes believes it to be from heavy roundworm infestation.

And clear up once the dewormer worked ? Yes, today said to give Ned at least 48 hours which is tomorrow.

I would definitely ask the vet before intrusive procedures - he’s conservative and I agree with him, but I want results NOW!

What dewormer did the vet prescribe ? He gave her a Panacur injection with powder to follow up on her food in two weeks.

How is Ollie? He’s fine which is also puzzling.

Did they suggest dewormer for him too ? Gave him Panacur powder that I started yesterday with follow up in two weeks.

Did you update the breeder ? I’ve been in constant contact with breeder.

I got a full meal in her thus afternoon! Really hope I haven’t overdone it but took advantage of having an assistant.

Southern Belle

Lairian
SHE POOPED!!! Never in my life have I been so happy about cat poop! My sweet husband examined it and found worms - bless his heart! So - we’re on the right track AND we don’t have an obstruction. He said she won’t eat or drink, but she made her way out to the porch which is the most she has moved since last Friday. I am sooo excited!! Woo hoo!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Southern Belle Keep the good news updates coming amd be sure to update your vet
Let them know if live or dead worms Present.
Thank goodness no obstruction!

She does need to drink or she will get dehydrated in time .
I would ask the vet if you can give s little pedialtye unflavored clear ?
Perhaps even a wet food ?hopeful tonight she will drink and eat some

Ps - only Sphynx people get so excited about poo Patrol
I swear we are all experts lol

Just an FYI precaution -Be sure to be very careful with sanitizing scooping and cleaning boxes and your hands -
Some worms are transmittable to humans
(You can ask your vet about it )

How is Ollie?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Can we have an amen for poop?! Great update...hopefully deworming will do the trick. Sometimes it takes 2 full rounds to eradicate them.

Southern Belle

Lairian
She is dehydrated but we’ve been giving Pedialyte and subQ fluids. Syringe feeding urgent care wet food thinned with Pedialyte. Will call the vet tomorrow. Too late now. We already have the follow up dewormer. She just needs to get back on track. I will keep you updated.

Ollie is great!

One thing I’ve learned - Roundworm is NO JOKE. It happened so fast!

Southern Belle

Lairian
Update 6 days in:
She is still refusing to eat or drink. Received subQ fluids on days 3, 4, and 6 (today). She also got an appetite stimulant today as well as antibiotics in case roundworm caused a secondary infection. She has no fever and hasn’t vomited since day 2. I will continue updates for future reference in case others go through something similar.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Southern Belle Thank you for the update and it sounds like things are improving for sweet Heiress. I can certainly sympathise with the joyful poop inspection! :happy: I've had no experience with worms so far, and hope I won't... it sure sounds like they can cause a lot of harm very quickly!

Back