Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Brand New Proud Momma

NewSphynxMomma

Lairian
Hello! I'm so glad I found this site. I just adopted a Sphynx named Prince. He is such a sweet boy and I can't wait to get to know him better. He is 3 years old and has already had two homes:-( My husband and I plan to be his forever home. We have two dogs, 3 macaws, no kids, and a rescued Japanese Bobtail female namFELVed Annabelle. We are keeping Annabelle and Prince apart for now until I can get him to my vet, hopefully tomorrow morning. I do have his paperwork from his other owner with his rabies and a negative FIV/FELV.

After my phone charges, I will take a picture of him and post it. I fear he is a little or maybe a lot overweight in his tummy region. He is neutered and so far, he has been very well behaved. He's affectionate and curious. I am nervous about giving him his first bath (well my first time, hopefully not his!).

One question, what do you all use to clean around their bottoms? I saw a YouTube video of a woman using round pads, but she didn't say what type. Any suggestions for bathing products would be greatly appreciated. He needs a lot of love in the bath department. His skin is dry but dirty.

Jen

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello and Welcome. I have a Sphynx called Prince also.

Would love to see pictures. A fat belly is normal in the Sphynx, they are supposed to have a fat pouch so hopefully that's what you mean and he's not overweight. :ThumbsUp:

Inferno12

Banned
Welcome to the Lair! Glad you found it. Have you bathed your baby yet? Not sure if you know they are supposed to be bathed. Do you know if he is used to baths? In between baths I know many of us use baby wipes.

Gizzymom

Banned
Welcome Jen and Prince!!!

Yes...potbellies are actually the standard in a sphynx. Males should weigh approx 8-12 lbs. Do you know how much Prince weighs?

I currently use Earthbath shampoo for my sphynx, Gizzy and thanks to another SL member (thanks, Jackmom), I am using cetaphil lotion on his back for dryness / flakiness.

Do you also know about having to clean their ears and nails? They are dirty birds!! But we love them... :Adore:

NewSphynxMomma

Lairian
Hello everyone! Thanks for your quick replies. Yes I know they they need to be bathed at least once per week, with thurough ear and nail cleansing. I'm just a bit anxious about it. I just picked him up this evening so I want him to relax tonight before I bath him. I'm hoping my vet will give me some words of wisdom for bathing, and I need to buy the appropriate supplies for bathing. I'm waiting for my picture to come through to my email, when it does I will be sure to post his first pic:)

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to you & Prince! I use earthbath products and they make great wipes for poopoo accidents and inbetween bath cleaning. Can't wait to see pics:BigSmile:

Inferno12

Banned
Hello everyone! Thanks for your quick replies. Yes I know they they need to be bathed at least once per week, with thurough ear and nail cleansing. I'm just a bit anxious about it. I just picked him up this evening so I want him to relax tonight before I bath him. I'm hoping my vet will give me some words of wisdom for bathing, and I need to buy the appropriate supplies for bathing. I'm waiting for my picture to come through to my email, when it does I will be sure to post his first pic:)

I personally would get some baby wipes and clean him up until he settles and then give him the full bath. I use baby body wash and many people use coconut oil before the bath to help get the grime off. You may want to get passed the first couple baths before tackling a coconut oil covered Sphynx :Surprise::Surprise:

Good luck and I cant wait to see a picture of Prince

JacksMom

Banned
Welcome here! I use Johnson and Johnson Oatmeal baby wash to clean my little guy. I use a microfiber washcloth for his face and bum and I lather up a tiny loufa to scrub his body clean. The microfiber was too soft to get the dirt out of his pores! My jack is a dirt magnet, so I wash him faithfully every week, as well as a weekly ear cleaning and every other week nail cleaning with baby wipes. Like Jody, I use Cetaphil cream on Jack's back and tail which I have found to be really moisturizing but not greesy. If you haven't bathed yet, some advice given to me here on the lair that was REALLY helpful, was to fill the tub with water up to their neck and have water on the warmer side of warm. I put enough water for 2 inches up his legs and not warm enough water, and it was not a good experience. So, after I got good advice on here, next bath, put water up to Jack's neck and really warm and he's done better ever since! Good luck!

NewSphynxMomma

Lairian
Here is a pic of Prince. Not the best, but this will have to do for now. He's camera shy. I was told he's an orange tabby Sphynx. He has orange and white patches all over and a tuft of orange and white hair on his nose.

Attachments

• Prince.jpg
    Prince.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 33

Inferno12

Banned
Here is a pic of Prince. Not the best, but this will have to do for now. He's camera shy. I was told he's an orange tabby Sphynx. He has orange and white patches all over and a tuft of orange and white hair on his nose.

He is handsome and I dont think he is overweight at all! Thanks for sharing the picture :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

ktate88

Banned
Congrats on your new sphynx child!!! He looks adorable in you picture

I started off using Dove sensitive body wash for Niles, but he broke out. I have since found a nice gentle animal aloe and oatmeal shampoo. I use Pharmaseb shampoo(only available at vet offices) on his grimey spots and feet to loosen up the dirt. I have a Burts Bee's baby lotion to use when he gets dry on his back. Earthbath wipes for inbetween baths.

Make sure to do nail trims, ear cleanings, and feet inspections routinely. Niles still hates his ears being cleaned...

I hope you and Prince have a good time getting to know each other

NewSphynxMomma

Lairian
Thank you all for all of your support. I thought he might be overweight because when he stands, his belly sticks out around his sides, almost like a goat. I will have his tested for worms, but it doesn't really look like that. I just want to make sure all my bases are covered so that he is having a great, fresh start in his FOREVER home.

I may rename him as well. Any suggestions on names? Our other cat is a Japanese bobtail named Anabelle. Maybe something that sounds good with Annabelle? I'm drawing a blank.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Use gentle soap like Johnson baby shampoo or Sphynx Suds (which I think can be purchased from the wonderful admin) or a very gentle bar soap. I'm more of a once a month bath guy. I find it better for all parties involved. Kitty will be clean for a day or two and then it's like you never gave him a bath. Many members use coconut oil too. You might look into that.

Oh, I agree with everyone else, he's not overweight. Also, I agree with Inferno, baby wipes seem to help (maybe that's why Johnny always looks so clean and Butterball doesn't).

How bout a simple, yet funny, human name like Frank. Or what about Barak. Better yet, give him a full name like Benjamin Franklin. Anyway, welcome to the sphynx club. Awesome, aren't they?

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome to the lair! Prince sure is a handsome guy! Sounds like you got a lot of good advice, which you will find on here a lot. :BigSmile:

gizmo6370

Banned
Welcome to the lair....great looking boy...you've got there :Smile:
As for names....i like....Morris....Baldhazar....Murphy....Archibald :Wink:

NewSphynxMomma

Lairian
I like Archibald too! I will have to run that one past my husband, definitely.

We just got back from the vet. Fecal was negative and he checked up pretty good except for a little bacteria in his right ear. The vet prescribed medicated ear drops for that, and we got aloe and oatmeal cat & dog shampoo, Q-tips, cotton balls, Nutro weight management cat food, a leash...hmmm...lots of stuff. I can tell he will be an expensive baby, but he's as sweet as can be.

He weighed in at 13lbs. The vet said he's overweight for his frame. He has a big round belly and could stand to lose a little. So we'll see how this goes.

Thank you all for all of your support. Keep the names comin'. We have to get rid of "Prince". It's just not him.

Back