Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Brand new Sphynx kitten, won't use the litter box?

WaluigDee

Lairian
Hi there,

I'm new here and a brand new Sphynx mom to a baby girl kitten (4 months old) I named Winona (after Winona Ryder). She's been home 2 days now and won't use her litter box?

I was given the litter that the breeder used for her and she doesn't seem interested. She peed on my couch yesterday and then hid. I wasn't upset, she's probably scared and marking her territory.

The litter the breeder gave me is pine pellet litter, I've since gone and bought pea husk pellet litter. I keep placing her in the litter box and coaxing her with treats just to go in on her own but no luck. I think the issue is it's in her room where she sleeps?

The litter box itself is one with a lid encloser that can come off. I've taken off the lid as well thinking that's the issue to no avail.

After some research I came across Dr. Elsey's Ultra Litter Attractant. Has anyone used this before? Is it safe to use with my kitten?

Attached a photo of Winona for cat tax. Thank you. I'm a very worried mom

WaluigDee

Lairian

Yoda mom

Staff member
@WaluigDee , welcoming you and adorable Winona to the lair family. all paws are family. we are here for you. keep us updated with using the breeders litter and the kitten attract. do you know what style/type litter box she used at the breeder? do you have other pets? your breeder may have suggestions

is the lidded litter box a top entry high sided? I do use a jumbo catit litter box with lid but immediately take off pop out the door flap. you can try box without lid using the breeders litter and kitten attract.

do you have a wellness check appointment? some contractss require wellness check within a certain time period.(always recommend bringing a fresh stool sample)

here is another product option

I keep Mister Max's anti icky poo on hand recommended from a breeder years ago. I actually spray/use it for washing dog and cat beds/blankets. It comes scented or unscented. gallon is about $27. I put in a spray bottle. I have ussed it on carpet for dog barf spots (color test material of course) I prefer the unscented. can get online, chewy etc. not sold in box stores. my vet sells it too

Attachments

• anti icky poo unscented.jpg
    anti icky poo unscented.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 3
  • anti icky poo scented.jpg
    anti icky poo scented.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

WaluigDee

Lairian
@WaluigDee , welcoming you and adorable Winona to the lair family. all paws are family. we are here for you. keep us updated with using the breeders litter and the kitten attract. do you know what style/type litter box she used at the breeder? do you have other pets? your breeder may have suggestions

is the lidded litter box a top entry high sided? I do use a jumbo catit litter box with lid but immediately take off pop out the door flap. you can try box without lid using the breeders litter and kitten attract.

do you have a wellness check appointment? some contractss require wellness check within a certain time period.(always recommend bringing a fresh stool sample)

here is another product option

I keep Mister Max's anti icky poo on hand recommended from a breeder years ago. I actually spray/use it for washing dog and cat beds/blankets. It comes scented or unscented. gallon is about $27. I put in a spray bottle. I have ussed it on carpet for dog barf spots (color test material of course) I prefer the unscented. can get online, chewy etc. not sold in box stores. my vet sells it too
Thank you for the warm welcome! Winona is the only animal I own and we did a quick check up before I paid for her to come home with me and the vet said she's fine? However, he just did a look at her. I called a different vet this morning and asked how long I should wait if she doesn't use the bathroom, they said 2 more days but I'm worried.

She doesn't seem to like the pine pellets that the breeder was using. Her litter box at my house is one with a top on it that she can go through in the front. I will most likely have to switch back to the litter the breeder used.

She's eating, drinking, playing, meowing so I don't think she's unwell.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@WaluigDee , awh you are a great mum. glad she had her wellness check ( did you drop off or can drop off a stool sample, good for a baseline).
when I brought batman and yoda home, poor batman would not eat . he wanted nothing to do with food or his litterbox. I kept him in his kitty safe room and spent alot of time with him in that room, then slowly let him explore at his comfort level. wow, then it was like a lightbulb came on, jumped up to eat, use the box and turned into a little busy buddy chatter box. he was more shy than his brother. could just be the stress from coming home and getting into the new big world.

confirming there is no door flap on the litter box opening? no plastic bag litter liner?
I highly recommend the kitten attract litter catzzzmeow shared in the link. mine first nakid didnt like the litter was on so I made the switch.
I put in the new litter and put a little of previous pellets on top and slowly put in less and less pellets till fully transitioned. I also left a poo piece and pee ball in box so showed her right place to pee. praise and a little treat on the floor as soon as she got out of the litterbox.
many of us use dr elseys unscented litter in the blue/white bag. my mom brought home a female who peed outside the box. she didnt like the litter. switched to the dr elseys unscented clumping and never an issue again.

you got this. we are here for you. be sure to clean any pee spots with an enzyme cleaner. you can use a little black urine spot light too.

1710271624514.png

Attachments

• dr elseys.jpeg
    dr elseys.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 2

WaluigDee

Lairian
@WaluigDee , awh you are a great mum. glad she had her wellness check ( did you drop off or can drop off a stool sample, good for a baseline).
when I brought batman and yoda home, poor batman would not eat . he wanted nothing to do with food or his litterbox. I kept him in his kitty safe room and spent alot of time with him in that room, then slowly let him explore at his comfort level. wow, then it was like a lightbulb came on, jumped up to eat, use the box and turned into a little busy buddy chatter box. he was more shy than his brother. could just be the stress from coming home and getting into the new big world.

confirming there is no door flap on the litter box opening? no plastic bag litter liner?
I highly recommend the kitten attract litter catzzzmeow shared in the link. mine first nakid didnt like the litter was on so I made the switch.
I put in the new litter and put a little of previous pellets on top and slowly put in less and less pellets till fully transitioned. I also left a poo piece and pee ball in box so showed her right place to pee. praise and a little treat on the floor as soon as she got out of the litterbox.
many of us use dr elseys unscented litter in the blue/white bag. my mom brought home a female who peed outside the box. she didnt like the litter. switched to the dr elseys unscented clumping and never an issue again.

you got this. we are here for you. be sure to clean any pee spots with an enzyme cleaner. you can use a little black urine spot light too.

View attachment 114222
Everyone here is so sweet! She finally used the litter box while I was at work and my son who is 13 called and frantically told me and was freaking out and gagging having to clean it. I've never been so happy to have an animal poop before!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@WaluigDee that’s great about your baby finally using the litter box…now to hope they use it faithfully. I’d still get the cleaner and hit the areas they eliminated in just in case. Keep us updated and thanks about giving me a laugh about your son gagging lol.

Back