Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Breeder Help!

KatieKitt

Lairian
I recently crossed one off my bucket list when I adopted my five year old retired female sphynx. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her. She makes me laugh and I am just smitten. This coming from a non cat person by nature.

I wasn't made aware when I first went to see her of this but she has a few health problems and I'm trying to locate her original breeder for additional information about her age and pedigree. My vet feels she's not five and she has a heart murmur that was detected when she was getting some pre-op work done before her dentistry. We've postponed her dentistry while monitoring her condition.

I have made several attempts to contact the woman I adopted her from and she will not return e-mails or calls. I'm frustrated and annoyed because I don't want anything more than to be armed with information and do what's right by my kitty. Hindsight is 20-20 and I think I got a lot of misinformation. In fact, I was told her name is simply "Kitty" and I never saw her papers (not that I wanted them because I wasn't breeding.)

So, if anyone can help me find this cat's original breeder, I would appreciate it. I adopted her from a woman outside of Buffalo, NY. You can PM me for her full name and website. I was told when I adopted her that she was bought for $2900 from a breeder out of the Carolina's. I spoke with a cattery by the same name in San Diego and she assures me my cat is not from one of her litters. The breeder in San Diego was very sweet and gracious, but her oldest litter is just 3 years old and she hasn't rehomed any adult cats so, that was a dead end.

Does anyone know who her original breeder might be?

Last edited:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Can you please send me the info.
Sounds like your ct has HCM.
You need to remove the breeders names from here an sites.
The breeder in San Diego is Wrinkles breeders and I have HCM scans of her sire and dam ect.
This is why even if you are not going to breed you ask about scans and HCM scans.
Many people make mistakes when they get their first sphynx.

susi794

Staff member
I've only had sphynx for four years, so I am of no help to you. But a cat called simply "Kitty" with false breeder information, etc. doesn't sound good to me. She probably has stuff to hide for sure. You should get her to a registered cardiologist and get her scanned for HCM so if she has it, she can start treatment. Sorry she isn't feeling well.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair!

Honestly even if you were able to track down the breeder you would still have to have her scanned to get the correct treatment. Normal practice when a cat is bought/adopted and that first owner can not keep them for whatever reason they are to return to the breeder so the breeder can rehome them. Sounds to me like this step was missed for whatever reason. If the breeder cut ties with buyer #1 then its unlikely you will find her and if you do could you really trust what info she gave you?

Only offering my opinion, but if I were you I'd go ahead and get her heart scanned to determine her actual illness and needed treatment and enjoy your baby from there.

Goodluck I'm sorry your kitty is sick.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do not know what your vet is doing.
THEY DO NOT SEDATE CATS FOR HCM SCANS!!!!!!
Susi is right.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry to hear you are having problems with your FIRST Sphynx. I agree that you should probably focus on the heart issues. You may not get any answers concerning past issues. Good luck. Welcome to the Lair.

Bella07

Banned
Congratulations on adopting your first sphynx, and I am so sorry to hear that you are having some problems. I have to agree with some of the others. If I were you, I would have her HCM scanned first and foremost. In my opinion, finding the original breeder won't help you much, and it would be awfully difficult to track down with such little information. Good Luck though!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would call TICA seeing her website lists her cats as TICA Reg and ask if they have any info on her.
This cat you got maybe one of her cats and she does not want to admit it.
I looked at the site you sent and she does not have links to any breeders she has worked with.
Maybe someone can email her and say they are looking for a kitten.
Then you would know if she is ignoring you on purpose.

Bella07

Banned
Maybe someone can email her and say they are looking for a kitten.
Then you would know if she is ignoring you on purpose.

Oh so you think that you found the breeder? Can you PM the link, I can email the breeder for you if you want KatieKitt. IF this is this breeders' cat, then she needs to be aware that some of her bloodlines have some health conditions/potential HCM...

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bella she sent me the site to the breeder were she got the cat from.
You can email me at my yahoo mail.
Its the same as my screen name.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Our cardiologist didn't sedate either, but I think it was an option if the cat needed to be, it definitely wasn't standard though.
Get her scanned to see what is happening with her heart, she won't need sedating for it.

KatieKitt

Lairian
Oh so you think that you found the breeder? Can you PM the link, I can email the breeder for you if you want KatieKitt. IF this is this breeders' cat, then she needs to be aware that some of her bloodlines have some health conditions/potential HCM...

Yeah, the website that I have is the woman I got the cat from, not her original breeder. She actually still has a picture of my cat on her website. But, her website has MINIMAL information. No pedigree information, etc.

One of the things that's throwing us off is the question of her age. I was told she was 5. I got papers from the spay/neuter clinic that she was spayed at in October and they list her as 2 1/2 (!?!?). My vet says more like 10.

I had another cat with a grade 4 murmur. It was a grade 4 murmur at times of stress. At home, it was a grade 1-2. He had his first cardiac workup done with no anesthesia. It was ugly. The second one, under anesthesia wasn't so bad. So I've seen it myself. I'm a former vet tech and have a degree in zoology. I'm not completely clueless and have a great relationship with my vet. We've been together for 20+ years, so I have no reason to think he would ever point me in the wrong direction. But then, he knows I know my animals. :Smile:

KatieKitt

Lairian
Maybe someone can email her and say they are looking for a kitten. Then you would know if she is ignoring you on purpose.

Go for it and see if she responds. I've e-mailed her, messaged her on facebook and left her voice mails on her home and cell with no luck.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Bella has offered to email her and see if she answers.
That breeder has to know where she got her from.
The spay clinics always get the ages wrong.
They told my dad his kitten was 3 years old when she was 6 months of age.
The idiots even put my dads cat up for adoption even though she was there to get altered.
I do not like clinics and prefer vets.
They also told my friend her cat was 7 years younger then she is.
When was her fb last updated?

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm sorry that you weren't given honest information from the person you got your girl from, but I'm so glad she has someone like you to care for her. Welcome to Sphynx Lair.

Back