Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Breeder Recomendations

SphynxLvr

Lairian
I have found a few breeders online and would like some feedback on the breeders that people are satisfied with. I have heard SO many horror stories and I do not know who to buy one off of now. HELP!!! :Hysterical: I have found a couple that seem really good, but can you ever really tell? Thanks to all who can help me...

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you don't mind getting your sphynx from another state, I know an excellent sphynx breeder here in Colorado. My sphynx boy kitty is decended from some of his cattery lines. This breeder has a great reputation and breeds very high quality sphynx. I'll PM you his info.

ktate88

Banned
I found my breeder on facebook. They are great.

My suggestion is email with potential breeders and if you like what you see, call and chat with them. You need to feel comfortable. I e-mailed about half a dozen or so and liked 3. This was also based on spaying/neutering policies, age, coloring, etc.

Don't be afraid to look out of state. I flew to PA to get Niles. It was actually only $20 more to go get him vs. shipping him and well worth the peace of mind. If you do choose to have your kitten sphynx I would look into airlines that have temperature controlled cargo.

SphynxLvr

Lairian
I do not mind driving to go get a kitten. About 4-5 hours max 1 way. I just did not want to purchase a kitten clear across the US when I can prob find one around me. I am just unsure about which breeder to pick. For example I found a seal point I adore, the breeder wants $1500 for her and she will not be spayed. I would have to pay for that, then she will send me papers. Another breeder wants $1000 and she will already be spayed. Why is everyone so different in pricing? Does anyone know, can you bring the cat on the plane with you instead of putting her in cargo?

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My advice is just be patient. I wasn't patient and was more concerned with price then doing my research and ended up with a sick cat. Be Patient is the best advice. The right kitten will find you.

The cat will HAVE to be in a cage whether it is cargo or carry on.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I do not mind driving to go get a kitten. About 4-5 hours max 1 way. I just did not want to purchase a kitten clear across the US when I can prob find one around me. I am just unsure about which breeder to pick. For example I found a seal point I adore, the breeder wants $1500 for her and she will not be spayed. I would have to pay for that, then she will send me papers. Another breeder wants $1000 and she will already be spayed. Why is everyone so different in pricing? Does anyone know, can you bring the cat on the plane with you instead of putting her in cargo?

Hi Spynxlvr,
Pricing generally revolves around the hairlessness and good quality "sphynx" features of the Sphynx cat. I've found that in some cases area or state also contributes to the price. A well known breeder with a good reputation and bloodline will also get more for their Sphynx cats. Be very careful and do your homework before purchase.

Do searches here on the site with any questions you may have, chances are it has been asked and answered here on Sphynxlair! We do not allow breeder recommendations good or bad on Sphynxlair, but I'm sure there are owners here that could give you good leads! PM's (private messaging) are allowed with breeder recommendations amongst users here.

Bear in mind that because someone here on the site owns a sphynx and sounds like they are very knowledgeable and recommends a breeder of their choice, although they may be honest and sincere, do not just rely on that information. Ask other members in that area or search the recommended breeder in question on google. Hope this helps!
Good luck!

Last edited:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

The first breeder you sent on the pm I do trust.
The last 2 are iffy and the 2nd one I do not know.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have found a few breeders online and would like some feedback on the breeders that people are satisfied with. I have heard SO many horror stories and I do not know who to buy one off of now. HELP!!! :Hysterical: I have found a couple that seem really good, but can you ever really tell? Thanks to all who can help me...

Who are the ones you are thinking of? Pm me, if you don't mind.:ThumbsUp:

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Why is everyone so different in pricing? Does anyone know, can you bring the cat on the plane with you instead of putting her in cargo?

Prices are all over the place, depending on how much the breeder thinks they can ask/ how much care they need to off-set.

My first sphynx, 5e cost me $1000, and needed a bit of care from the vet. The one I got for my wife, Pharaoh, cost $300 and is the picture of good health!

As to Cats on a Plane...looks like you can on some, but you'll need to contact them direct instead of going through a discount site
reference link:
Pet Travel Options

Bella07

Banned
One breeder in my area asks $1,200 for her Sphynx kittens. She doesn't take her cats to the vet, and administers their shots herself. (She has no medical training.) It is the buyers responsibility to alter the kitten. She offers no health guarantee, and doesn't scan for HCM.

So, I will opt to not buy from her, even though this breeder is only 30 minutes from my house.

On the other hand, there are a few breeders that I love. One in particular asks $1,350 for her kittens, and they have seen the vet, have their shots, are altered, and microchipped. Plus, she is actively working towards keeping HCM out of her lines. And she shows her cats! She is about 7 hours from me I believe. (I'd buy a kitten from her, over the other breeder any day!)

So, go with your gut. Speak to breeder's and ask them questions. You'll soon be able to differentiate between the good and bad breeders. Also, ask for references from previously satisfied buyers, and do a goodle search on the breeders name to see if any complaints come up.

Good Luck! :ThumbsUp:

ktate88

Banned

Most airlines will allow small pets inside the plane with you-- in a carrier/crate. You need to check with specific airlines as far pricing, health requirements, etc. In my experience you need to call after you book your ticket to arrange for your pet to fly with you.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I will reply to your PM here.

After you gave me the names of the 4 breeders. I searched for the ones I hadn't dealt with:

#The first cattery had complaints online of FIP.
#The second cattery had a complaint on complaintsboard.
#The third, I'd heard of but don't know any buyers or complaints online.
#The forth has one of my cats and I trust them.

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT COMPLAINTS ARE TRUE OR NOT, I tried to be helpful and could only go by what I read.

I just came home to an email in my PERSONAL email account, titled:

"Do I know you because up until now I have never heard of your cattery"

Let me introduce myself. I have been a sphynx breeder for 14 years. It’s been brought to my attention that you told someone that I am known to sell sick kittens that die of FIP? I’m sorry but in 14 years of breeding I have lost 4 kittens to FIP, all of which I replaced. Maybe you are not educated in such things as FIP. If you stay in cats long enough you will encounter it. It’s not the breeders fault and it’s not contagious. I would appreciate that you get your facts straight or at least have the decency to get to know someone one before you start to gossip about them over the internet when you know nothing about myself or cattery. Like I said I’ve been around a long time. Making these types of accusations to people without knowing anything first hand isn’t really a good way to promote your cattery or own reputation. I run my cattery the same way I run my life, with honesty and integrity.

My reply to her email, is also my reply to this thread and to your last PM.
The person in question asked opinions of catteries in her area, and gave a list. I said, 3 of the 4 catteries I didn't know but I'd looked on complaintsboard.

I was in no way trying to promote myself?!?!?!, I gave her my recommendation on another cattery/ breeder I had bought from and thought was very good/ honest. They are not in her state, so I told her to keep her options open and maybe consider shipping also.

My apologies if it came across as gossiping, I just went by what complaints were online about the catteries she asked about. I will state that too her again, that it is not my opinion but complaints registered online and I don't know how much truth is behind them. I gave a very brief opinion on 4 catteries from what I had read online (including a complaint about FIP on that particular forum.)

It's true that I have never had to deal with FIP. I hope I never have too. I'm sorry that you've lost kittens to it.

I will reply to her now, on her thread rather than pm.

I'm actually really, really upset about it. I'm not a gossip, never have been and I try to keep out of cat politics. I tried to be helpful by looking for information online for you. I NEVER once, tried to promote myself . I said one breeder was honest and there was a few others I'd had personal experience with who I trusted.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thats horrible. First off you found the info online that anyone could do an online search. Second WHY? would someone go and spout off and tell the breeder what you said. Maybe next time they can do the research themselves. :Angry:

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thats horrible. First off you found the info online that anyone could do an online search. Second WHY? would someone go and spout off and tell the breeder what you said. Maybe next time they can do the research themselves. :Angry:

No kidding!! How crappy!!! Not cool man!!

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've had a couple of nice emails from the breeder in question. I was genuinely trying to be helpful by looking for complaints. Live and learn.

SphynxLvr

Lairian
I apologize for stepping on anyone's toes and I will not ask opinions anymore. I asked the breeder about things I was told and read online about her cattery. She is having issues with people including people on the lair badmouthing her cattery. I did not advise or suggest her to email you. She wanted to see who you were. I did not lie about what I told her. I do see how both of you feel I am sorry for you getting attacked by email, but I also see her view of people suggesting things that clearly are not true about her and her cattery. I will not be replying or viewing this website any further because it is mostly people just giving their own opinions and ones of people that may not have the correct information, just as anyone else can get by just reading online.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You didn't step on my toes, but I did no self promoting to you in anyway. :Angry:

I was genuinely upset that I tried to help you. I gave my opinion on breeders I had worked with, and told you that there were complaints online. I didn't expect the response I received. Did everyone else that offered you advice, get emails from any breeder they gave an opinion on?

There's no need to go anywhere. People give their opinions on this website, that's what forums are for, aren't they.

Like I said, live and learn.

SphynxLvr

Lairian
Again I am sorry for you getting attacked. I did not say you were promoting yourself in anyway! I do honestly feel she thought you were someone else on here. I am thankful for your help, and i am sorry for the inconvience and stress that I may have caused you. I already emailed the administrator and told them to delete me. I in no way wanted to offend anyone, but I did. I am only trying to get a perfect baby not to hurt anyone in the process. I will continue on my own... Sorry again.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Again I am sorry for you getting attacked. I did not say you were promoting yourself in anyway! I do honestly feel she thought you were someone else on here. I am thankful for your help, and i am sorry for the inconvience and stress that I may have caused you. I already emailed the administrator and told them to delete me. I in no way wanted to offend anyone, but I did. I am only trying to get a perfect baby not to hurt anyone in the process. I will continue on my own... Sorry again.

You don't need to be deleted, unless you truely want to go and I personally don't think you should.

This site is amazing, it is full of helpful people, lots of knowledge and a united love of the breed. I think you should at least give it a few days to see if you like it.

Will I offer you advice on breeders? Not a chance in hell:LOL: but i'm grown enough to accept an apology.

Everyone here genuinely loves Sphynx, you should stick around.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Had a Facebook message from a different breeder. not even one of the two I said check complaints board???

WTF!!!!

Seriously, have you gone around every Sphynx breeder in the U.S and stirred up sh!t.

I haven't any idea who this cattery breeder is who messaged me, she's on my facebook, I have never talked to her, let alone talked ABOUT her.

Edited: Really pi$$ed off. If I get kicked off Sphynxlair for ranting, my apologies to the Admins.

Have the decency to get your arse back here and explain why you told some random breeder I was badmouthing her when I have never spoke her name to anyone?

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Still ranting. So the person in question has now logged off.

I know I can't name breeders but the first two breeders had complaints online, that is all I said, these are the pms we exchanged. Tracy your name wasn't mentioned..

will edit to add pms.
:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:
sphynxlvr pm;
breeder initial k cattery

sorry dont know your initial cattery

g cattery

suzis cattery

I was looking at a couple others, but 1 lady I told that I wanted the kitten and she was supposed to be setting up a paypal account for the deposit and the next day she emailed me that a breeder purchased the kitten and tried to offer me a different one! I was so upset.

my reply:
1 has a history of selling sick kittens that have died of FIP

2 has complaints, on complaintsboard

3, i've heard of (they are on my facebook) but I don't know anyone who's bought from them so have no experience in whether they are good or not.

4 is Suzi from here. The stud cat she has is one of my kittens. So I know her and as a buyer she was great. she's very honest.

shynxlvr:
Thanks for your time. It is so hard to find good breeders. I was actually at the sphynx cattery about 1 year ago. The cats seem well taken care of, she does have papers from vet showing they were tested for hcm, fip&Fiv neg. I did read that posting from that lady on the complaint board. I do not know who to believe in that story. Do you know anyone that has dealt with differentcatterydontknowbreedersname? Do you have any recommendations?

me:
I haven't heard any bad things about differentcatterydontknowbreedersname, I haven't dealt with them personally.
I had great experience with #of # but she's in #, she has a partner/ friend in #, # who is also very professional.

# are also meant to be very good. The breeder is a vet.

Trust your instincts. Also look into shipping, it opens up a lot of other options to you. Good luck!

So where the hell has facebookbreeder come into it 'sphynxlvr???

:Angry::Angry::Angry:

SphynxLvr

Lairian
The two breeders talk to eachother. I do not recall saying anything to Tracy, she emailed me. Now I just lost the kitten I was going to purchase. I am really done now.

Back