Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Breeding mentor?

Lady Matriarch

Lairian
So, it has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember to raise baby animals. I've researched and asked many questions of many different breeders both cat and dog.. I waited until I found a breed I was absolutely infatuated with, well I've found my love. So now I think I'm ready, I want to try my hand at breeding, only of course to better the breed! I still want a mentor, I only want one, a female honestly to start up. I have a breeder in my area that I LOVE but I'm nervous to ask to be their pupil. I kind of want to co own so they still have say, and can keep a kit if desired. Problem is im nervous to ask, I don't want them to think of me as needy or trying to take advantage or anything of the sort. I want to do this right. I do not want to be a BYB! -sigh
So here is my.. blowing of smoke for the day! Heh thanks for listening! ❤️

Toa and Ross

Staff member
It's great to hear you taken the breeding so seriously. You intentions are good and you did a lot of research. So if I was that breeder I would be honoured that you asked me. Go for it, explain it like you did here and ask her to be your mentor.

Good luck!

Lady Matriarch

Lairian
It's great to hear you taken the breeding so seriously. You intentions are good and you did a lot of research. So if I was that breeder I would be honoured that you asked me. Go for it, explain it like you did here and ask her to be your mentor.

Good luck!
Oh thank you so much ! That means a lot to me !! I hope they feel the same!:)

Sheldon13

Staff member
It would be really neat if you could have a sort of ongoing "blog" type thread about your adventures as you learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lady Matriarch ,
Here is a link to help navigate the site

Site News ~ Questions?

Please don't hesitate to PM if you need any assistance

I would also start start a slush sphynx savings fund
From breeders I know , it can be expensive and time consuming with vet bills , unexpected vet bills , hand feeding etc
For any litter issues that may arise ..
And HCM screening etc ..

I would also recommend chatting with your mentor as to how to select the purrfect Homes for kittens , interview questions, paperwork , where they HCM scan regularly not just once ..and cost ,
how often they retire sire/ dames amd the process

Best wishes! Keep us updated !

Back