Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

kelsheyyx

Lairian
I've had many friends recommend the breeze litter system to me since it is a lot less smelly, and there is no litter that will be tracked around the house. My kitten was using scoop away before I bought her, so I bought that for her to use and placed it next to the breeze. I'm trying to transition her; I haven't cleaned her litter box and I moved some of her poop to the breeze system. Today is the first day she pawed around it, but I can't tell if she peed on it (the pad underneath the catches the moisture doesn't seem wet). I'm sure it will take time, I'm actually surprised she went in it and dug around so quickly! My only worry is that she will go to the bathroom outside of the litter box...earlier today she went to poop in the normal litter. When she was trying to move around to kick the litter over it, she stepped right in the poop! I'm hoping this is because the box is dirty and she just didn't have a lot of clean room to move around to go to the bathroom, but needless to say it wasn't a fun cleanup trying to get all that out of her rear paw! Also, is it normal for sphynx poop to be very soft? Almost like liquid? That was the first time I actually watched her poop so I couldn't tell if it was abnormal, or if it is always like that (obviously as it dries with the litter around it, it ends up looking solid in the end).

She is also very shaky today, I just got home from work and I can't figure out if it's because she's cold or nervous (I think I mentioned this in my last post). Yet she's still purring though she's shaking...I even made her a little sock sweater (she doesn't seem to hate it TOO much) and have her under blankets in my lap but still shaking.

I'm probably just being a nervous new-mommy for no reason, but I still like to hear advice from everyone who is more experienced!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Some Sphynx can have more delicate tummies than furred cats. Having said that, their poop should be firm and solid. If not, it's usually due to food transition, stress, and perhaps diet (allergies, intolerances).

Many of us here are all too familiar with poop watch and often observe our nakeds pooping regularly (just to make sure all is well). LOL

The shaking is a concern, that I hope others will speak to.

Are you giving your kitten lysine every day to boost immune?

How old is she?

How long have you had her?

From your icon she looks utterly adorable!!!! Congrats!

kelsheyyx

Lairian
Hi @Xandria, thanks for the reply! Like I said, this was the only time I actually watched her poop so I'm not sure if it was abnormal but I'll be keeping an eye out from now on.

I don't think it's her diet; the breeder I bought her from is very experienced with sphynx and I am using the same food she feeds her cats and fed Ophelia before I picked her up. If it is abnormal I'm hoping it is just due to the stress of the transition!

Update on the shaking: she is better, more playful, and when I got home I put the space heater on since she mostly likes to stay in my room - just in case it was because she was cold.

She is about 9 weeks old and I've barely had her for a week. I have not given her lysine, but I've been reading about it. Can you purchase that at a pet store? Is it made specifically for cats - assuming yes because I skimmed a couple forums about the powder, gel, or treats. If you give your cat any, what is your suggestion and how much should I give her?

Thanks again! :) appreciate the help

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hmmn, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think cat poop should be runny or soft -- except when they're really young. I'm not sure at what age their poop firms up. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

You can buy lysine at any health food store, pharmacy and most grocery stores.

http://www.nowfoods.com/L-Lysine-500mg-100-Veg-Capsules.htm

250 mg (half a capsule) twice a day or double the dose when unwell. Just open the gel cap and mix in with food. That will help bolster Ophelia's immune system.

8 weeks is awfully young to be taking in a Sphynx kitten. Was there a reason the breeder let her go so young?

It's good that she's playing, eating, drinking etc. I found that Max got colder easier when he was younger (between 12 weeks and 20 weeks). Now that he's 8 months old, and for the last while, he has more "meat" on his bones (along with his newly acquired Sphynx belly paunch), and can withstand the cold better.

Let us know how she does!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Happy to hear the shivering did stop. My boy shiver when they're cold and when they're nervous. So hard to tell what the reason is for Ophelia to shiver.

As @Xandria said the poop must be solid and firm. Most sphynx kittens stay with their mother & breeder untill they're 12-14 weeks old. Cause Ophelia is 9 weeks old I think it's important to watch her closely. If her poops don't get solid soon I would call a vet for a check. Same with the shivering or with other signs of not being well.
Does she drink enough? Willing to play and run around?

One of my boys did get diarrhea a few says after he came to me. I gave him the same food as the breeder did give him. After 4 months it turns out that the food is causing the diarrhea. So although Ophelia didn't react on the food before the food can cause diarrhea now.

Hope Ophelia is doing better allready!

kelsheyyx

Lairian
@Toa and Ross thanks for the reply! She actually is doing much better already. Shaking stopped, I've kept the heat on. Her poop was more solid today and I'll be keeping an eye on it. I'm also going to order L-Lysine to sprinkle in her food. @Xandria not sure why the breeder let me take her, she said she gives the kittens away at 8 weeks always, just as long as there's no small children in the house. She is very, very playful! Loves to run around and jump and climb - I just ordered a cat tree for her - until she gets pooped and snuggles on me to take a nap. And she does drink her water (and mine when it's on the night stand), I've noticed she always stays hydrated.

Thanks for the input!

Back