Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bright red blood in poop

Janusz

Lairian
I noticed bright red blood on the poop in the litter box. The poop seemed very well formed. I am wondering if perhaps this could be constipation. I recently changed my kitties’ food from Stella & Chewy Duck to Hare Today a mixture of chicken and duck. The other day I noticed the poop was well formed and then runny at the end. It is very difficult to tell which kitty could be having the issues as I have 3 cats.

Other than pumpkin, does anyone have suggestions for adding fiber to a raw diet? I actually work for a vet office now and will ask about the blood in poop when I go back on Thursday. Everyone is acting normal.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My breeder had mentioned to me once before that sometimes a tiny bit of blood in the poop could be from the bones in the raw.

A close friend of mine has a Persian with GI cancer, she adds slippery elm powder and marshmallow root daily to her food. When her sphynx girl had chronic diarrhea she also gave it to her. I've yet to search for the marshmallow but I do add the slippery elm to my trios food whenever I notice runny poop.

I also have a hard time trying to figure out who's the culprit with 2. Hope the blood was just a one time thing from the switch.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Did you see more blood woth the poop today?
If it was only one time, I wouldn't worry about it too much. We had more members saying they saw blood with the poop once.

Janusz

Lairian
Hello-

I did not get a chance to look this morning before i left for work. With that said, it has been past two days. I am thinking i may go back to Stella & Chewy...very gradually of course. I do not remember having any issues like this.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Psyllium husk is great for adding fiber. If the blood was a one time thing o doubt it is a problem. Since it is bright red it is from the lower digestive tract and likely due to a little straining and constipation. You had it right wanting to add a little fiber. Should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nursebeth

Lairian
I noticed bright red blood on the poop in the litter box. The poop seemed very well formed. I am wondering if perhaps this could be constipation. I recently changed my kitties’ food from Stella & Chewy Duck to Hare Today a mixture of chicken and duck. The other day I noticed the poop was well formed and then runny at the end. It is very difficult to tell which kitty could be having the issues as I have 3 cats.

Other than pumpkin, does anyone have suggestions for adding fiber to a raw diet? I actually work for a vet office now and will ask about the blood in poop when I go back on Thursday. Everyone is acting normal.

The only thing that fixed this in my girl was the buffalo sensitive stomach. It’s a pink bag. They even have it at wal mart now which is crazy

Janusz

Lairian
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I work at a very reputable vet office, and I asked today for advice. I was told that the Sphynx breed (generally speaking) should have around 12-15% fat and 30% protein. The duck from Hare Today was like 88% fat and lower than 30% protein. I cannot find the chart for the duck again that I found at work. From their website, the chicken is: Crude Protein (min): 15.0% Crude Fat (min): 9.0% Crude Fiber (max): 2.0% Moisture (max): 67.0%

No wonder they have digestive issues. I am definitely going back to Stella & Chewy. Food for thought.

Luna112

Lairian

What transitioning method did you use? Many sphynxs are on Hare today with no issues. Most times issues are user error based.

Janusz

Lairian
What transitioning method did you use? Many sphynxs are on Hare today with no issues. Most times issues are user error based.

With all due respect, I have been a cat owner for over 20 years and am more than capable of doing an easy transition. The issues my cat was having were attributable to subpar ingredients, not transition error. This is what I get for trying to cut costs. As the saying goes...”you get what you pay for.” Perhaps buying raw frozen, thawing, adding vitamins, refreezing and then thawing again may work for some Sphynx/cats, clearly it does not work for my bunch. Besides, I am now convinced that all of that freezing/thawing compromises the nutritional value. Of course...in my opinion.

-Cheers

Back