Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bringing home a brother

Gizmo7926

Lairian
@Dobbys mom7926 , oh my heart, Gizmo is precious! all paws crossed for his vet visit next week. did you tell Dobs all about his babybrother Gizmo?
I played a video their breeder sent of the whole litter of kittens he was super curious but keeps giving me the side eye I’m going to visit this Friday so I’m bringing a new kitty blanket to get gizmos scent. Hoping it helps get Dobby used to having a brother kinda nervous he’s a super hunter lol I just bought him a brand new flippy fish toy today. It lasted 3 hours ‍-_- This is his second one

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Dobbys mom7926 , so excited for your upcoming visit Friday! great idea with a Gizmo blankie scent. I put a couple of treats on the blankie :)
my Toby is super hunter too tough on toys! but such a lover to Batman. I personally found boys to form quick attachments. enjoy your 2nd Floppy Fish Dobby! you are a hunter! I use a dog firehouse toy for toby to kick the snot out of... Toby may need to try the floppy fish !

keep us updated on Dobby and baby Gizmo... I know hearts are going pitter patter with excitement

Gizmo7926

Lairian
We visited gizmo today!! ♥️♥️♥️ Ohmygosh he’s so precious! Rubbed a little blankie all over him so I could bring his smell home to Dobby. It did not go as I had hoped lol poor dobs. He started smelling and making little clicky sounds. And when I went to touch him he hissed at me for the first time ever :/ he only ever hisses at the window when a stray is outside bothering him. Any advice to get him to have a better reaction to his new brother?

Attachments

• D04ED868-39E6-4817-B603-DF99151E9510.jpeg
    D04ED868-39E6-4817-B603-DF99151E9510.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 222FCBB3-F0F4-4EDB-ACFE-45B8848AB832.jpeg
    222FCBB3-F0F4-4EDB-ACFE-45B8848AB832.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 18

ti4nna

Lairian
We visited gizmo today!! ♥️♥️♥️ Ohmygosh he’s so precious! Rubbed a little blankie all over him so I could bring his smell home to Dobby. It did not go as I had hoped lol poor dobs. He started smelling and making little clicky sounds. And when I went to touch him he hissed at me for the first time ever :/ he only ever hisses at the window when a stray is outside bothering him. Any advice to get him to have a better reaction to his new brother?
im so glad you got to meet gizmo!! he is absolutely precious! i would suggest having dobby in a carrier and letting the kitten free roam by him until dobby gets used to him. although dont keep dobby in there for too long. you dont want to make him feel restrained. hope everything goes well for you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Dobbys mom7926 , awh.. such precious photos of you and baby Gizmo. he is adorable
pr
dont panic. the smell of gizmo is new.. the clicky sounds, hissing all that is normal behavior cat communication, processing the new scent .

I have seen with my crew . I put little treats on the scented blanket with praise. I kept the blankie with me when just hanging out on the couch. they would come up sniff explore hiss. I would put some treats on the blankie and give lovin. soon laying on the blanket on their own . it will be a big new world for both. they will be fine. my growliest hissing toby is now like a mother hen grooming and loving on Batman.
I have found boys bonded fast and are besties.

deep breath, my bengal cat Bailey would hiss and growl for days just by bringing home one of mine from a vet visit with new smellls. then went back to his cuddly self with the others.

hugs n head smooches to Dobby. do you have a gotcha day?

Gizmo7926

Lairian
@Dobbys mom7926 , awh.. such precious photos of you and baby Gizmo. he is adorable
pr
dont panic. the smell of gizmo is new.. the clicky sounds, hissing all that is normal behavior cat communication, processing the new scent .

I have seen with my crew . I put little treats on the scented blanket with praise. I kept the blankie with me when just hanging out on the couch. they would come up sniff explore hiss. I would put some treats on the blankie and give lovin. soon laying on the blanket on their own . it will be a big new world for both. they will be fine. my growliest hissing toby is now like a mother hen grooming and loving on Batman.
I have found boys bonded fast and are besties.

deep breath, my bengal cat Bailey would hiss and growl for days just by bringing home one of mine from a vet visit with new smellls. then went back to his cuddly self with the others.

hugs n head smooches to Dobby. do you have a gotcha day?
Oh that makes me feel so much better! Dobs is really a sweetheart , he just has a bit of an attitude problem haha. Not an official day but it’s narrowed down to the week of October 2nd :D he gets his first round of vaccines on the 26th of this month. I’m super nervous! But gotcha day will be given as soon as they have their final shots and check up day scheduled I’m hoping!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Scent swapping is the key…the hissing is normal and same will happen when they come home. On the day you bring the baby home wipe them with a baby wipe and wipe Dobby down with one as well to help neutralize the scent as best possible.

Gizmo7926

Lairian
Scent swapping is the key…the hissing is normal and same will happen when they come home. On the day you bring the baby home wipe them with a baby wipe and wipe Dobby down with one as well to help neutralize the scent as best possible.
Thank you for the tip! I’m expecting it to be a bit of a process for everyone involved but hopefully they bond and don’t try to just avoid each other forever my homes too small for that lol

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Love the pics of little Gizmo, he's gorgeous. Hope September passes quickly for you. Looks like, as usual, you have had some greta advice from The Lair . Hope all goes well x

Lukassmile

Lairian
I love gizmo. He’s so cute! I’m thinking about getting a little brother for my 1.5 y/o Sphynx. He needs a playmate to chase around. So I’m going to follow your journey closely! I’m so excited for you guys

Gizmo7926

Lairian
Almost 9 week update on gizmo! And a derpy Dobby photo just because he’s one of the cutest little wrinkle balls I know <3
5 more weeks until gizmo comes home! Dobs didn’t hiss at all at gizmos smell blankie when we brought it home! Success! He rolled on it and was purring so loud!

Attachments

• 7851273C-EB4F-4487-B2CA-76C6C75A2B29.jpeg
    7851273C-EB4F-4487-B2CA-76C6C75A2B29.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 15
  • B8DDCDA3-064D-4B8C-ADE5-5F86424BF0A3.jpeg
    B8DDCDA3-064D-4B8C-ADE5-5F86424BF0A3.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 14
  • 57783A46-342B-4A97-AB1D-75D71C62FDDA.jpeg
    57783A46-342B-4A97-AB1D-75D71C62FDDA.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 14
  • FD011094-D2DA-4B0E-86BE-199292A4AAC1.jpeg
    FD011094-D2DA-4B0E-86BE-199292A4AAC1.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 17

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Dobbys mom7926 , oh my heart! thank you for keeping us updated and adorable pic of baby Gizmo! growing so fast,, what colors coming in! I want to kiss that adorable nose!
tick tock, cant wait till you have a set date! I know your heart must be going pitter patter! hows dobby doing? hugs n head smooches.. will be so exciting to see them together!
{={=

Gizmo7926

Lairian
@Dobbys mom7926 , oh my heart! thank you for keeping us updated and adorable pic of baby Gizmo! growing so fast,, what colors coming in! I want to kiss that adorable nose!
tick tock, cant wait till you have a set date! I know your heart must be going pitter patter! hows dobby doing? hugs n head smooches.. will be so exciting to see them together!
{={=
I have “earliest date” now!!! His breeder told me he could go home no earlier than October second! Which is a Sunday so no school runs and I can make the trip if all is good on their end 18 days!

Gizmo7926

Lairian
@Dobbys mom7926 oh look at that little puddle of wrinkles. You have to be getting more and more excited by the week…unfortunately the last couple seem like years not weeks.
I’m soooo excited!!! Nervous how dobs will react. He’s a spoiled rotten baby haha! my husband thinks it’s hilariously annoying that if I’m not in bed by a set time every night out Dobby sits and YOWLS and CALLS and WAILS and CRIES until i go lay down on bed and cuddle him XD I hope he accepts gizmo and doesn’t be a jealous little jerk lol! Hubby jokes that just as soon as we go it our last baby out of our bed into their own room now we will have two more who NEVER leave our bed haha!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Dobbys mom7926 , soo excited here for you!!! oh my heart! tick tock counting down with you... lol. surely Dobby and Gizmo will take over the bed! Iol DObby sounds like my batman... they all know when it is sleepy time I trained them with a command and a pat on the blanket . at least now I can get them in their spots on the bed so I can have 2 inches to myself. they stay put most of the night till TobyLove decides to take a run, stroll meowing on his stargate wheel at 2 am and then comes back to bed.

remember the feed off our energy.. put on a smile and tell Dobby you are going to be such a good big brother to baby Gizmo!

Gizmo7926

Lairian
Gizmo update!!!

So 9 days until gizmo comes home!
*hopefully* :/ breeder brought the babies in for a check up on a little bug she said they had. Turns out they have coccidia :( so they are being treated with Sulfadimethoxine. My Dobby (same breeder) was ill when he came first came home. First vet gave dobs a round of antibiotics. Didn’t help. Then they gave him a medication for tritrichomonais. Think it was called ronidazole…. He started getting better the week two he was on it. Until the last day of his meds…. Dobs had spiked a fever of 106.4.. it went down in the morning and then back up to 107 that following night. Brought Dobby to a new vet and gave them a whole run down of everything. They worried fip and all that. But none of the vets would do a fecal test even after I asked for it to be done. Anyway after the last two week treatment with clavamox and steroids Dobby got better and has been perfect since then. December will be a year since all of that went down. Now I’m upset because if dobs had been tested by the vet like I asked them to do he wouldn’t have had gone through everything like that. But also now I’m scared for gizmo I almost lost Dobby. I do not want that to happen with gizmo. And I don’t want dobs to get sick again. Also before Dobby we lost a kitten… my little pink baby jasper before we even got to bring him home….
Sorry for the novel. But I need some reassurance, advice, etc…. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• 422D652C-BEC9-4C3E-AA18-7F3990ABF81D.jpeg
    422D652C-BEC9-4C3E-AA18-7F3990ABF81D.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 12

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can understand your concerns about Gizmo considering your experience with Bobby and also poor little Jasper, its natural to think back to previous experiences and base your fears on those. But the breeder is taking action with the bug that has been found so hopefully that will treat the problem and Gizmo will be in your arms next month. Try to stay positive xx

Gizmo7926

Lairian
Totally understandable why you would be so stressed. It sounds like your breeder is all over this. Not sure if possible, but if the kitten has another vet visit can you join your breeder to just be present?
Possibly but it would be a whole ordeal to find a babysitter for my children and give school permission to release them to said babysitter in order for me to get to the city they live in. She’s so great with her animals. Just the vets in the area for some reason prefer to treat based off guessing rather than testing. It’s not like they foot the bill for it when a pet parent asks specifically for testing to be done… my Dobby could have potentially avoided getting a secondary infection from a crashed immune system…. If only her vet had tested him and not just given random medications before my vet suspecting FIP but wasn’t 100% sure got lucky with a broad spectrum antibiotic…

I’m just so worried about my kitten and worried he will bring it home to Dobby if it doesn’t fully get treated… my house is small.. 3 bedrooms and a bath/laundry room crammed in 900sqft so isolating isn’t realy doable for more than a Couple days. If that with kids running around

Back