Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bringing our newly adopted naked babies home!

Caiti B

Lairian
Hello cat community! My boyfriend and I are driving back home with our two newly adopted 2 year old cats in the backseat! The journey has only just begun for ourselves and Opal and Slayer. Right off the bat they were friendly, loving, and cuddly. Then they were forced into their little carriers and on the road they went. We know the transition won't be easy but we want to make it as smooth as possible. We are already so in love and want them to feel comfortable as quickly as possible. They will be going from a smaller one room apartment to our three bedroom house. While the questions we have are plentiful, one major concern we both had starts with the litter box! We are already aware that one of our cats has a litter box issue ( poops right next to it, never in it)! The previous owner wasn't able to take the time to work on this. We feel hopeful that we will find a solution! We were told to initially keep them in one room while they get used to our house and smells and all that. Does that mean that we should initially keep the litter box in that room and then move it to the room we want to keep it in (downstairs laundry room) later ? Will that be too confusing to have the litter box moved twice? Should we just start it off where we want it and not do the whole confining to one room thing? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats! Do he have feet in the litterbox, and the poop lands outside? Or he squats outside of the box?

Keep the box in the same place (their room), then as you add more territory for them, add another box or two in the new areas. As well, I would have 2 boxes in the room that they are confined in (just in case they need it).

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello cat community! My boyfriend and I are driving back home with our two newly adopted 2 year old cats in the backseat! The journey has only just begun for ourselves and Opal and Slayer. Right off the bat they were friendly, loving, and cuddly. Then they were forced into their little carriers and on the road they went. We know the transition won't be easy but we want to make it as smooth as possible. We are already so in love and want them to feel comfortable as quickly as possible. They will be going from a smaller one room apartment to our three bedroom house. While the questions we have are plentiful, one major concern we both had starts with the litter box! We are already aware that one of our cats has a litter box issue ( poops right next to it, never in it)! The previous owner wasn't able to take the time to work on this. We feel hopeful that we will find a solution! We were told to initially keep them in one room while they get used to our house and smells and all that. Does that mean that we should initially keep the litter box in that room and then move it to the room we want to keep it in (downstairs laundry room) later ? Will that be too confusing to have the litter box moved twice? Should we just start it off where we want it and not do the whole confining to one room thing? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

@Caiti B hello and welcome. I highly recommend Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Kitty Litter for litter box issues. It really works. Yes, keep them in a smaller (confined area for now) and when they can roam the house, keep this litter box in this spot as well as where you want it in the laundry room. You don't need the same problem in your house as the previous owner. It's not easy "teaching" a problem cat where they must "go". Have plenty of litter boxes on different floors.

Sometimes it's an issue with the type of litter box. Some prefer hooded boxes, others don't like hooded boxes. While others don't care what kind of litter box they have.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Congrats on your babies. Great advice, already, been given.
By @GoldHazel

Don't, put, their food and water, near their, litter box.
I wouldn't put any rugs in front of the litter box.
They, might use it. Just keep them, confined, until, you know
They, aren't having issues.

Be sure, to be in the room, with
them as much as possible.
I would get some shampoo just for pet pee or poo. at petsmart.
If they, start off with, problems. Enzime cleaner.
That's all that, will, get rid of it.

No household cleaners will.
I would have a huge tote cut a hole in the end, so they, can, get in.
Keep the lid off, see what happens. They, need that for two.
I bough a big rubber maid tote and did this.

I love it, so does, my Izmae. You need two. One for laundry room and the other room. Make sure, not, to cut, the hole, down low next to the bottom.
I cut mine square, not round, gives plenty, of, room.
The Dr. Elseys cat attract, goes into the litter box.
They, will smell it and it will help them

admin

Administrator
Staff member
This may help - Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Caiti B , Welcoming you yours Opal amd Slayer to the lair family!
Enjoy this fun friendly bunch and ask away any questions
Thank you for opening your heart and Home to Opal and Slayer.
Do you have a wellness check scheduled for the, with your vet?
It's a good idea to get a base line amd a report with your vet -
Also they can do a poo and urine sample check as well as listen to their hearts amd give or them a once over.

If all is ruled out medically for out of box poo issues
I definitely agree with the dr elseys cat attract litter amd an open box away from food -

* My mom adopted a kitty with issues - vet wellness checked clear for anything medical.
She switched to dr elseys I the blue bag unscented ,an open box, no plastic liner , multiple boxes in different areas
Amd viola! Kitty box etiquette purrfected.
** be sure to keep the box very clean - I would leave one piece of poo in each liter box so they know it's the correct place to go- Wash out boxes weekly -

I go slow with free roaming till I know they know where their boxes ( yes 2-3 boxes ) are located .
Watch too putting boxes too far out of the way. Many kitties don't like too scemted litter or dusty -
Do you know what brand the previous owner used? Type of box that wasn't working ?

* I trained my adoptees like a dog - I kept a jar of treats near the litter boxes-
When they get out going potty - give verbal praise an a treat as soon as exiting the box-
Timing is Everthing - I still do it randomly to this day -

There's lots of good info in the help center thread
Sphynx Cat Help Center

*Be sure to scroll down to the bottoM of the page of threads you are reading -
There are "similar threads" listed at the bottom of each page

Ask away any questions!

And we can't wait to see pics !

Hope you can post pics of Opal and Slayer in "my sphynx cat tails " thread to introduce them to the community -

Looking forward to your journey with us !
Very excited for you!