Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bringing two kittens home from different litters - food question

Nadine Hill

Lairian
Hello!

I am bringing two kittens home on the 1st of august, both are from different litters.

One kitten is being shipped to the UK from a great Russian breeder, the other from a local breeder.

the Russian kitten is on Royal Canin, and the other kitten is being fed a different brand.

Im a bit worried about them eating each others food when they come home, and getting dodgy tums. Ideally I want them eating the same food eventually.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Such an exciting time for you! If it works it would be best to give them the same brand food as their breeders are givrn them for the first 2-3 weeks. Moving to a new home is a stressful event and it helps the tummy to stay calm when the food is the same. But I can imagine it will be difficult to do so with two kittens who eat different brands.
If you want to change the food, do it slow. First week 1/4 new food and 3/4 old food, second week 1/2 new and 1/2 old, third week 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food. The fourth week only the new food. Hope that works.

Good luck!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Also to make it easier with giving different foods, one may have to be fed in a separate room for a short period until you get them eating the same food. :)