Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Brody’s Big Heart ( HCM)

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
As some of you already know I have been posting about my soon to be 7 yr old sphynx-Brody. He developed a heart murmur 2 yrs ago and they have been keeping an eye out when I would go for his yearly wellness exams. It had gotten worse this past exam and I took him to a cardiologist.
I will post pics of the tests etc.
Please if you don’t have pet insurance get it!! And make sure to take your pet for a yearly wellness exam. I believe that saves a lot of cats. And don’t feed them human food. Luckily I did all the right things with these cats but sometimes you can’t control what will happen.
My boy is overweight which I hope to reverse but is my fault. With that being said I will post the findings test for you all and feel free to comment and place any info on your cats and what you went thru. HUGS to all cat lovers!!

Attachments

• 01035F1C-2610-4C02-951A-9385479B37D0.jpeg
    01035F1C-2610-4C02-951A-9385479B37D0.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 34
  • A01E1047-E7FD-454D-89C4-27D6BF24ADE4.jpeg
    A01E1047-E7FD-454D-89C4-27D6BF24ADE4.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 1772565C-3F46-49FD-970A-CC80EACEE80B.jpeg
    1772565C-3F46-49FD-970A-CC80EACEE80B.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 6A63DF0B-5AE0-460D-934D-F78DB59419E7.jpeg
    6A63DF0B-5AE0-460D-934D-F78DB59419E7.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 26

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Awww poor baby! I have just lost my heart cat aged 8 to CHF 5 weeks ago the left ventricular sounds exactly the same to what he had with his heart bless him, he didnt have a heart murmur the problem was his left side of the heart
He was on clopidogrol and furosemide I didnt put him on heart medications as I do believe some cats it works for and some it doesn't I believed the 2 medications he was on worked fine for him so didnt want to add a heart one to them, I have spoke to people on here who had their babies on numerous heart meds plus water tablets ect and they lasted the same amount of time(around 6 months from onset of CHF) but each person has their own preference to what they want to give their babies and each baby is different.
It's a awful cruel disease I hate it that it stole my baby from me!!!!
I used to spoil my boy with foods(I probably shouldn't of done) but it made him happy!
He was overweight at one point but lost alot of weight in his final weeks(ALOT!)
I did not have pet insurance and it cost soooooo much to have him in and out of ICU on oxygen and intravenously giving water tablets to help flush the fluid,, plus his medication which I always bought in 3 month bundles it really is very very expensive I dont regret the money I just wish I had took the pet insurance out for him when he was a kitten.
Sadly my boy died at home 5 weeks ago rather suddenly although we expected it I dont think we expected it to be so soon, I miss him every single day and cry still with a broken heart but I am starting to slowly understand that he is not suffering anymore and that he is in a better place
Hug that baby tight!❤

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So so sorry for your angels passing! What was his name? Any pics?
I wouldn’t beat yourself up about the Pet Insurance and feeding him the wrong stuff. I did that with two Ragdoll/ Siamese I had and you just learn not to do it the next time. These babies can be pretty insistent when they want something. Luckily Brody has never wanted any food except his cat food. My girl wants popcorn and fish but I just gently nudge her away. I learned from the other two I had previously.
He has seemed more willling to play since I started the meds but that may have nothing to do with it bc I am home for a few wks. They are super spoiled!
Thanks for your reply and if you can think of anything else please post it.
Again I am so sorry for your boys passing. As you said at least he’s at peace.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Happy you finally were given the results and reports. Kudos to you for taking the recommendation to help your baby lose some weight...just like with humans it is less stress on the heart when their weight is in line. Stay positive...your baby knows nothing but your love and that is everything. They thrive on routine and your love and that will not change.

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So so sorry for your angels passing! What was his name? Any pics?
I wouldn’t beat yourself up about the Pet Insurance and feeding him the wrong stuff. I did that with two Ragdoll/ Siamese I had and you just learn not to do it the next time. These babies can be pretty insistent when they want something. Luckily Brody has never wanted any food except his cat food. My girl wants popcorn and fish but I just gently nudge her away. I learned from the other two I had previously.
He has seemed more willling to play since I started the meds but that may have nothing to do with it bc I am home for a few wks. They are super spoiled!
Thanks for your reply and if you can think of anything else please post it.
Again I am so sorry for your boys passing. As you said at least he’s at peace.
His name was Ozzie his ashes currently rest in a beautiful teddy bear, I cannot bring myself to look at pictures for a long time but I'll sure to send you one in time:) yes I really struggle with his loss still to this day! He was my heart cat my soul mate it's like part of your heart gets ripped out!
So happy for your baby that he has you home and I'm sure on the right medicine your little one will be just perfect!
Just hold him so tight, sometimes life snatched away from you before your eyes!
He sounds just perfect! I hope all goes well for you and your beauty❤

Sheldon13

Staff member
@Crombie00

I’m sorry you guys are going through this. I know how stressful it is. My Ellie was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and heart failure in March. We got a lot of meds, and a month later she was at least out of heart failure (for now). I highly encourage you to give any and all meds you are given by the vet. We are on: Enalapril, Clopridogrel, furosemide, and pemobenden.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks everyone! I plan to continue the course of action.
I do need recommendations on weight loss. I use a slow feeder bowl and am feeding two sphynx with that. They are on Hills I/D dry food and are given 1-2 small cans of fancy feast per day.
I can get him to play but when he’s done-he’s done. Not going to push him obviously
Any good suggestions are appreciated as well.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Well, I would start by staying away from kibble altogether. It’s very calorie dense. On the wet food I’d go for a better quality than Fancy Feast. It’s not the worst food out there but there are much better. A few suggestions are Wellness or Instinct.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Good to hear you have the results. Sending lots of positive vibes!
For losing weight I recommend to feed wet food only. My boy Toa managed to lose weight by only eating wet food.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Good to hear you have the results. Sending lots of positive vibes!
For losing weight I recommend to feed wet food only. My boy Toa managed to lose weight by only eating wet food.

oh ok. Maybe I will try that and see how it goes. I know I’ve heard they need wet for urinary. Good for kidneys. The boy cats always seem to end up issues there!
Thanks again will try it

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, I would start by staying away from kibble altogether. It’s very calorie dense. On the wet food I’d go for a better quality than Fancy Feast. It’s not the worst food out there but there are much better. A few suggestions are Wellness or Instinct.

I will look into those foods. I’m off on vacay for several wks so nows a good time. I’m with them a lot right now.
Thank you so much

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Brody is doing well. He played a lot last night with his teaser. Was dven jumping up to catch it. I just let him go at his own pace. Think his big sis is jealous. She is being mopey

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Aww so sorry about Ellie. BIG HUGS to your precious Ellie!
Brody was fighting with his big sis this am. He is feeling his oates
I go to my primary vet for a check up on how the meds and his heart is doing next Monday. So will have hopefully a good update.
Also as was suggested on here. I have been feeding him less and he has started to lose weight. I plan to skim him down so his heart won’t have that much more of a burden.
Thank you all and big hugs out there to all the animal lovers and Sphynx owners!!

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Brody has had some indigestion (burping) and coughing this am.
He played quite a bit last night as I was cleaning out a closet. Funny how nothing gets these cats as excited as cleaning things out. LOL!!
I have started my cats back on lysine treats just to be safe. They do well with them. (optixcare l-lysine treats on amazon)

Sheldon13

Staff member
How strange. Though I will say if he’s having indigestion and burping, the cough can be from that directly and not heart issues.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok so Brody checked out ok at the primary vet but they will need to send his panels to the cardio so will know more soon I hope.
I took his sis in to be checked bc I thought she might have an ear infection. They did find some yeast and she has tresaderm. I thought she had lost weight and she has-about a pound and she is petite anyhow. So they checked her blood sugar and it was normal. She eats a lot! She had been crying usually for more food. So if she continues to lose weight I will need to go back for blood panels. Anyone have this issue with their cat? Thoughts? I guess I will start a thread for her? I’m hoping I’m not dealing another sick baby

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't know how much food you've been giving her but it could be she just wasn't getting enough? I mean it sounds like she's hungry if she's crying for food. Also if you put food out for multiple cats, it could be one eats most of it and the other one goes hungry. Mine all eat at different speed so I have to separate them and watch them.

Other things it can be....
1. Is she vomiting? If they can't hold food down, they would lose weight.
2. You could have her tested for hypothyroid. This is just a blood test so it's easy and doesn't cost very much.

Back