Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bronxe ER visit :(

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ThumbsUp:

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes!!! Thank God my baby is FINALLY home where he belongs!

Here's the scoop: they were treating him as a detox. now that i know he's ok, i can joke about it.. Um hello- my cat ate pain meds, OD'ed and then did rehab for 2 days to detox! wow- :LOL: :Angry: Laugher is the best medicine right!? although i was SOOOO worried about him! i'm so glad he's ok, healthy and finally home!! They pumped fluids through him for 2 days, and checked his liver repeatedly. We have to go back in 3-5 days to follow up w/ the blood work/liver check. Dr said he's fine and all is well. Thank God! how i can strangle him for the heartache lol (kidding!)

What a horrific last few days! i would NEVER wish this on ANYONE and Fiancee and I TRULY learned our lesson here- seeing how ultimately it was OUR fault! he was just a curious kitty! a $323.00 lesson nonetheless. but whatever, i'd pay a million dollars for the health of my babies!!!

He's still a little mad at us. although he did snuggle with us in the car on the way home (we don't crate/carrier him, he gets really sick, like diarrhea from the anxiety). A clear indication of his anger towards us: he came in the house, smelled around to make sure all was ok, then ran to Sissy's room behind the door! wow, what a smack in the face! So i'm gonna try and win him over by inviting him to a snuggle-nap session! (i think it'll work!)

To top the whole experience off: on the way to the vet Thursday night he pottied in the car uncontrollably because of the side effects, and sprayed TWICE!!! my car smells HORRIBLE!! i have tried resolve, frabeeze pet odor, and vinegar... any other remedies??? now my car smells like all the cleaning products+vinegar+ cat spray! EW!:ThumbsDown:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to EVERYONE for all the well wishes, thoughts, and prayers. They REALLY helped!!

I am so glad to hear that Bronxe is back home now! Just explain to Bronxe that home is now a sober living facility!

Seriously though I am so happy to hear that everything turned out okay. That is wonderful news! I am sure he will warm back up to some Mommy snuggle time.

As for the car smell, well I can't help there. Neighbors cat sprayed on my son's backpack and I wshed it twice, treated with Febreeze and Laysol and just as your car, it has the lovely scent of laundry/cleaning products and cat spray. Needless to say, we had to buy a new backpack. Not as easy to replace a car however...

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You have to find the exact spot in the car he sprayed and usually people use a black light which causes cat pee, and a few other things, like sperm...to fluoresce. Once you have found the spot I use a product called "Urine Erase". Ive been using it for 15 years and used to sell it to people at my vet clinic before I quit vet medicine. It has enzymes that get rid of the urine and then evaporate it into the air. It also works for human pee...great for matresses and carpets! Good luck and so glad your kitty is better!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We told him sober living and to follow up with KAA meetings. needless to say, he did not join me for mommy-kitty snuggle time LOL.

Thanks for the suggestion for the urine cleaner spray! i know which two spots he sprayed at. so hopefully that stuff will work! do you have to use it by a certain time- like within a few hours or him doing it.... or will it work 3 days later? (possibly 4, because i dont know about going out tonight lol)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am glad he is him.
I would do what Susi said to do about that vet.
I have blasted vets before.
Years ago I left my cats a a blood at my dads and 2 of cats got very sick the same day.
I got a phone call so we rushed to the er.
My Patches died there and Stripe was saved by a blood transfusion.
The er vet said they must have got some meds.
My brothers idiot gf admitted she dropped advil and tylenol and it was not found.
You need to watch his kidneys because Patched died from ARF and Stripe was saved but her kidneys were damaged and I lost her to CRF.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am def going to do the letter. i just spoke with my aunt, also BIG kitty-lover, she also recommended it. saying that i need to explain to them just HOW serious it was, with a 2 day hospitalization.

Thankfully my vet is SO onto of stuff. i'm so very thankful for them!

Thanks everyone again for the support.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What rough couple of days you've all had. I'm glad its over and Bronxe is home. Thanks for sharing the ordeal with us. It serves as a reminder that accidents do happen and quality care can make all the difference in the world.

If you need a quick odor neutralizer you could put
1 cup of hydrogen peroxide
3 Tbs Baking Soda
1/2 tsp dish detergent
into a spray bottle and mix.

Spray lightly onto odor spot and let stand a couple of minutes. Blot with a clean towel. You may need to repeat until smell is neutralized.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm so glad Bronxe is home and well.

Another enzyme cleaner neutrilizer suggestion: Natures Miracle...works wonders and its easy to find. White and red bottle, I've used it for years and at one point I had a rescue kitty who pee'd over the side of the litter box and it soaked between the tiles in my flooring, well I put that stuff down in the cracks and it cleared it right up.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Re: Bronxe ER visit :( ::Update::

Update:

Bronxe went today for his follow up. He's doing well and seems to be almost back to his normal self at home. however, not so much on the blood results :(

Bronxe's liver levels are still elevated, much higher then normal. i guess normal is between 12-120(ish), well bronxe's are still well over 400. When he went into the vet Thursday night his levels were over 700, then dropped down to over 500. That was good and mostly because of the IV fluids. Well, after checking today, there was only about 100 decrease within 4 days, compared to the 200 that they had gotten in 2 days.

So.. she said "we can either keep him, admit him and do fluids again. OR you can take him home, keep doing fluids, make sure he's eating and possibly send him home on a suppliment that will increase his fluids"... after talking with her, we both agreed him coming home would be the best option. Apparently while Bronxe was in the hospital he was VERY anxious, nervous, diarrhea, etc. She thinks him being home will be more calm for him, but obviously his fluid intake wouldnt be as if he were on IV's....

So i'm gonna do this supplement and then take him in on tues/wed next week. She wanted to see him back in 1-2 weeks. my opinion is 2 weeks is too long. So he'll go back early next week! :) hey, i'll take him everyday, if he can stay home :)

As a curious Momma, i asked her 'what if we come back and his levels aren't where they need to be"- her reply was to do more test and possibly a biopsy of the liver.... :ThumbsDown: of course i want my kitty to be healthy and will do and spend as much as needed! but it makes me sad that it MAY get to that point.

Also, i asked her is Bronxe's GI issues could also cause higher then normal liver #'s, she said yes BUT more so in dogs then cats. and usually not this high. she said she didn't want to jump to that conclusion just yet without looking further into it...

So please keep praying for my Bronxe. :(

Editing to add: since seeing the dr.. ive worried so much that i have a migraine and ate a whole chocolate bar! :(

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Re: Bronxe ER visit :( ::Update::

Update:

Bronxe went today for his follow up. He's doing well and seems to be almost back to his normal self at home. however, not so much on the blood results :(

Bronxe's liver levels are still elevated, much higher then normal. i guess normal is between 12-120(ish), well bronxe's are still well over 400. When he went into the vet Thursday night his levels were over 700, then dropped down to over 500. That was good and mostly because of the IV fluids. Well, after checking today, there was only about 100 decrease within 4 days, compared to the 200 that they had gotten in 2 days.

So.. she said "we can either keep him, admit him and do fluids again. OR you can take him home, keep doing fluids, make sure he's eating and possibly send him home on a suppliment that will increase his fluids"... after talking with her, we both agreed him coming home would be the best option. Apparently while Bronxe was in the hospital he was VERY anxious, nervous, diarrhea, etc. She thinks him being home will be more calm for him, but obviously his fluid intake wouldnt be as if he were on IV's....

So i'm gonna do this supplement and then take him in on tues/wed next week. She wanted to see him back in 1-2 weeks. my opinion is 2 weeks is too long. So he'll go back early next week! :) hey, i'll take him everyday, if he can stay home :)

As a curious Momma, i asked her 'what if we come back and his levels aren't where they need to be"- her reply was to do more test and possibly a biopsy of the liver.... :ThumbsDown: of course i want my kitty to be healthy and will do and spend as much as needed! but it makes me sad that it MAY get to that point.

Also, i asked her is Bronxe's GI issues could also cause higher then normal liver #'s, she said yes BUT more so in dogs then cats. and usually not this high. she said she didn't want to jump to that conclusion just yet without looking further into it...

So please keep praying for my Bronxe. :(

Editing to add: since seeing the dr.. ive worried so much that i have a migraine and ate a whole chocolate bar! :(

Sending good vibes for a speedy migraine recovery!
I know it's hard, but try not to worry about his elevated liver enzymes. The vet wouldn't have you treat at home if she thought they were too high. Give it a week and see how they look. Remember they are going down (even if it is gradual and slow) and that's great news.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sending big hugs and positive vibes to you both!

word of warning as a fellow migraine sufferer...avoid the chocolate it will only make it worse!!! Now go lay down in a dark room with Bronxe and have a rest.

XxX

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Mug-ys. i needed a "im a bad momma"-treat lol. and yah, def know about the migraine triggers :( sadly. ive had migrains since i was about 5 (earliest i can remember).. sorry to hear that you also suffer. migrains SUCK!!!

ontop of all his issues, bronxe now has a cold. which usually turns VERY quickly into upper respitory infections!! i called the vet today and THANK GOD they called in a script. Originally i thought he may have gotten sick w/ the air on. Usually with the change of seasons he'll get an allergy related cold (URI). usually within the 1st month of the heater turned on, and the 1st month w/ the AC on. i thought it was because of that, but as i think back... our air has only been on a few days... plus Saturday when we picked him up his eye was SUPER runny! i'm PRETTY sure he got it from the vet- but then again... who knows. Anyway... he's on Clavamox.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Mug-ys. i needed a "im a bad momma"-treat lol. and yah, def know about the migraine triggers :( sadly. ive had migrains since i was about 5 (earliest i can remember).. sorry to hear that you also suffer. migrains SUCK!!!

ontop of all his issues, bronxe now has a cold. which usually turns VERY quickly into upper respitory infections!! i called the vet today and THANK GOD they called in a script. Originally i thought he may have gotten sick w/ the air on. Usually with the change of seasons he'll get an allergy related cold (URI). usually within the 1st month of the heater turned on, and the 1st month w/ the AC on. i thought it was because of that, but as i think back... our air has only been on a few days... plus Saturday when we picked him up his eye was SUPER runny! i'm PRETTY sure he got it from the vet- but then again... who knows. Anyway... he's on Clavamox.

Lol! I know what you mean about the treats, sometimes it's worth the risk :Laugh:

Poor baby Bronxe!! Sending him and you HUGE get well hugs XxX

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
thanks guys so much for the encouragin words. We are actually away at a dog show this weekend.. which i love going to, but i'm so sad to not be with my kitties. ESP w/ bronxe being sick. BUT he's got Nanna at home with him! and no one is better then a good snuggle then Nanna. Thank God for my mom. she's such a life saver. Everytime we go out of town she kitty-sits. she's so awesome!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
thanks guys so much for the encouragin words. We are actually away at a dog show this weekend.. which i love going to, but i'm so sad to not be with my kitties. ESP w/ bronxe being sick. BUT he's got Nanna at home with him! and no one is better then a good snuggle then Nanna. Thank God for my mom. she's such a life saver. Everytime we go out of town she kitty-sits. she's so awesome!

Yeah for Nanna! Good luck at the dog show.

Back