Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bronxe ER visit :(

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
*sorry this is sorta long. i'm so upset and just got home.. i know you guys will understand my worries*

I came home tonight from a bulldog meeting to find my kitty NOT doing well!

I walked in the hallway to see my Bronxe crouched down, very tense, tail between his legs, pupils FULLY dilated and knew immediately SOMETHING was not right. i walked over to him and he started hissing at me!!! then started to attack our dog! Then got on his back paws and started to attack me! i picked him up to take a closer look and he clawed out of my arms! his body was rock solid (tense) and his heart was pounding!

Obviously we RAN out of the house, called the vet on the way. Note: our vet is easily 45 mins away. It's one of the best vet's in our area. we knew it'd be a far drive so we asked for a referral to another 24/hr vet closer to us.

We pulled up to the referred vet. we were uneasy about bringing him to this office because we have never heard of this vet. not to mention the office was less then appealing, the staff was VERY rude! We walk in and are told to take a seat. ok, no probs. after about 10 mins a lady comes out, takes a look and says "have you given him flea medicine?" (in a SUPER snotty voice) so in return i say "um, he's hairless!" and she's like "yah well he can have fleas" i didnt say anything else to her. She then says "if he gets worse or has a seizure let us know" also note: Bronxe has had 2 seizures before. you would think they'd monitor a little better. OR be a little more friendly to a OBVIOUSLY (crying) upset women holding her baby kitty! I completely understand they were busy. i get that. BUT my cat is OBVIOUSLY suffering from some sort of reaction to medication of SOME sort. which could OBVIOUSLY stop his heart at ANY moment! you could tell he was FREAKING out, but they didnt address that at all :( ... anyway... after waiting another 1/2 hour my Fiancee went up to ask the lady how much longer.. because if it would be longer we'd just go to our other vet. what's the difference between waiting there or in the car on our way to a MUCH BETTER vet?!? She instantly got SO nasty (once again) and said "i dont know!! fine, i'll put you in a room" at that point we realized even IF bronxe had to stay there he wouldn't get the attention he needed. we walked out and went to our vet 20 mins from this vet.

It was THE BEST decision i will have ever made with my animals. We KNOW we should have taken him there originally but was so hesistant because we were SO worried about him. After we realized he would be ok during the drive, we left. We pulled up to our vet, we didn't wait 1 min! they put us right in a room and within 5 mins the dr was in our room! he knew INSTANTLY what was wrong with bronxe! what a relief!! Thank God!

They are treating bronxe for a detox. they're pretty sure he got ahold of some sort of medicine. unsure which. My fiancee is disabled due to a car accident and is in horrible pain constantly, so there are some pain relievers and muscle relaxers around the house. Vet is pretty sure he got something like that. we left him about 1am. they immediately did a charcoal medicine, blood work and flushing fluids. they have to break frequently because he starts getting so worked up. I won't really KNOW anything until around 8am or so.

i'm soooooo sad he isn't home tonight but i KNOW he's in a much better place right now. Thank God for great vets. Please everyone pray for him :( Thanks.

LLevenson

Lairian
How scary! I hope Bronxe is ok! I know how scary it is when our babies have to be rushed to the vet! I think it would be so hard knowing my little guy was sleeping in a cold cage and not nestled under the covers with me! Sounds like Bronxe is in good hands! I hope he gets to come home tomorrow! sending good thoughts your way...

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Gosh what a story the people in that vet er must be related to the heartless nurse I had in the er the other night:Angry:
Sounds like you sure made a great choice by leaving and going to your vet. Sounds like he is in good hands now, and we will be looking for a update.:Wink:

Just a reminder to hubby to make sure all meds are closed and or out of reach.

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
How scary for you guys! I hope you get a good update this morning. I'm pretty sure they may want follow up bloodwork in a few days to make sure his systems are all go. Some toxins take a couple days to hit which is why minimizing the amount in his system with toxiban and fluids is so important.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the ER. They didn't triage him at arrival? That's inexcusable! Honestly, they don't really sound like they are an "emergency" hospital. As you already know, a cat having a bad reaction is pretty obvious and it's general practice to call a "triage" at an emergency hospital when you approach the desk.

While her attitude was oh so wrong, the person was correct in asking about flea meds even if he is hairless. They can still get flea bites and you'd be shocked how many people think a little dab of flea prevention for a 50 lb DOG is okay to use on a cat...for the record, it's NOT and bad reactions are guaranteed. I know that wasn't your case, but worth mentioning just in case somebody didn't already know that. :)

susi794

Staff member
So sorry Bronxe is ill--it's 7:00 AM now, so you willbe getting a report soon...and I pray that it's nothing but good news. Regarding the ER hospital with the rude employees--find out who the owner is and write a letter detailing the complaints you have in a respectful but extremely disgusted manner--don't diminish its effectiveness with bad language or anything that makes you sound like some kind of crackpot. Then inform the owner that because of this incident, when you felt obliged to take your business elsewhere, you would like to recommend some kind of disciplinary action against the employees and are requesting an apology from the employees involved and also from the facility in general. Remind them that an ER clinic is still a business--and a competitive one at that--so unless the situation is remedied, you will take EVERY--and that you do mean EVERY opportunity to convince your vast number of pet owning friends that they should avoid this place like the plague. Mention that you belong to several cat blogging sites and also are a frequent user on Facebook--and that networking can be a serious threat to their income. Remind them that word of mouth is and always has been the best form of advertisement--and that negative publicity can't be good for their business. End the letter with something to the effect that you know the owner must have a good heart for pets to have begun the business in the first place and that you are just sure that they must not be aware of how customers are being treated there and that you know they will value the information you are providing and it's your sincere hope that they will act upon it. Don't just suffer through bad behavior from people--inform the owners and connect it to the cash flow--they'll listen.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry Bronxe is ill--it's 7:00 AM now, so you willbe getting a report soon...and I pray that it's nothing but good news. Regarding the ER hospital with the rude employees--find out who the owner is and write a letter detailing the complaints you have in a respectful but extremely disgusted manner--don't diminish its effectiveness with bad language or anything that makes you sound like some kind of crackpot. Then inform the owner that because of this incident, when you felt obliged to take your business elsewhere, you would like to recommend some kind of disciplinary action against the employees and are requesting an apology from the employees involved and also from the facility in general. Remind them that an ER clinic is still a business--and a competitive one at that--so unless the situation is remedied, you will take EVERY--and that you do mean EVERY opportunity to convince your vast number of pet owning friends that they should avoid this place like the plague. Mention that you belong to several cat blogging sites and also are a frequent user on Facebook--and that networking can be a serious threat to their income. Remind them that word of mouth is and always has been the best form of advertisement--and that negative publicity can't be good for their business. End the letter with something to the effect that you know the owner must have a good heart for pets to have begun the business in the first place and that you are just sure that they must not be aware of how customers are being treated there and that you know they will value the information you are providing and it's your sincere hope that they will act upon it. Don't just suffer through bad behavior from people--inform the owners and connect it to the cash flow--they'll listen.

Here Here! Great advice Susi (as always! :Wink:)

X

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Oh my goodness! Good for you for taking Bronxe to your actual vet. I would defintley send out that letter Susi is talking about. That sends my blood boiling to no end when a ER vet treats people as such.

I'm sure this experience has been horribly scary for you. I am waiting for the day of something similiar to happen. My boyfriends son lives with us and he has severe ADHD and he takes meds a few times a day. We have had two medicine scares where he has dropped his pills and thought he has taken them and Jimmy (my boyfriend) or myself have found the cat smacking them around on the floor. I'm extremely terrified this will happen one too many times. The kid is just 100 miles an hour and doesn't pay attention half the time so we have to watch his every move. We have now started a routine of going into a room with the door shut where Snuffie can not get in and we watch him take every pill. Its awful to have to watch over him like that but these meds he takes would undoubtably take any pets life. Potent stuff.

Anyhow, I do hope Bronxe has a full recovery and that all is well. Positive thoughts and vibes being sent your way!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
awe, thank you guys so much for all the thoughts and well wishes.
Ilovemysphynx- fiancee feels HORRIBLE about potentially being the source for the dropped medicine. he was crying all night :( but in retro-spec we really don't know what medicine he got. i have claratine D around the house also. it has ephedra in it. although im pretty sure it wasn't that. but you're right. we're already address the medicine issue.
Susi- GREAT advice. i considered something similar, but am worried that if they hire someone like that, maybe a letter wouldn't help if they're a similar person. But you're bulletins are valid any that should be something i should do.

I called this morning around 10am (they said call by 10 if we didnt have a call) They do rounds at 6am-which can take up to a few hours. usually i call a lot but didn't want to be overly crazy-easily done. so i called at 10, they weren't finished, so i left my contact info (again)

i just got a call (1/2 way through writing this)..... he's doing pretty good BUT he has to stay another night:Cry::Sad: they said his pupils are still a little more dilated then they'd like and they'd like to keep him on fluids for another 24/hrs. which will put him at 2am. i asked them, if maybe because it's still early that, if i called later tonight, maybe i could pick him up, since he'd been on the fluids for a while. I definitely don't want to push it, but thought i'd ask. She said they could reevaluate him and check. He's eating, going potty fine. but last night he got a temp, but once they took him out of his blankies for a while his temp went back down. So basically him staying tonight is precautions. they said they KNOW he WILL be OK. THANK GOD.

I woke up this morning feeling good about the whole situation. satisfied. knowing my little man would be home today. i'm crush and heartbroken. I tell my fiancee (fairly often lol) that "i think i love Bronxe more then you" lol it's an on going joke. He bought him for him. in return i usually get "well i love Valerie (bulldog) more then you" lol. Anyway... to have him not HOME is heartbreaking. They gave me a option to visit him... but i'm so worried visiting him will upset both he and I more then find comfort for us. I don't want to go in there visit him and him get all excited and his heart rate start spicking, etc. what do you guys think? the drive isn't why i wouldn't visit. i would make that drive 100x's in a day.. but i just dont want to upset him....

Ugh.. :( please please keep praying for my baby :(

this is where my kitty SHOULD be :( Momma's arms are the best place for him :Cry:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What a terrible experience for you and Bronxe! Please do follow Susi's advice, sometimes the powers that be do not know how the employees are behaving, and compassion is a must in any health field animal or human, these people need to be reprimanded!

I am sending lots of prayers for Bronxe to feel better and come home very soon. Please keep us updated on his condition.

Bella07

Banned
How awful! The vet staff should be there supporting you and helping you, not ignoring and being rude. I'm glad that you went to another vet and got everything worked out. I'll pray for your boy, and hope he can come home soon!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would be in two minds as well, but I think for yours and his sanity it's probably better not to go, it will only make you feel so bad when you have to leave him again :Cry: and your other baby is going to be wondering why he's not there and need you cuddles too.

It's only my two pence worth by I would save you both unneccessary heartache and only go when you know you can bring him home...saying that there's nothing wrong with ringing and checking in a couple of hours...it doesn't make you crazy, just shows how much you care!

I'm sending BIG hugs to bronxe and to you.

XxX

susi794

Staff member
Please do write the letter--I have done so myself on any number of occasions and have never failed to receive a phone call or an apology. And no owner is going to look highly on an employee that drives away business. It's always the bottom line. It may not get them fired, but I bet it gets them talked to...and if they get talked to enough times, things usually change. And if nothing else--it makes you feel proactive rather than a victim. It is cathartic just to write it.

So sorry to hear about poor Bronxe! At least you know he is in the care of a good vet you can trust. I know you must miss him terribly but he will be home with you in no time, snuggling back up in Momma's arms where he belongs.

Please keep us update on how he is doing and Suzi gave excellent advice. I would write a letter to the owner of the other vet office. No one should be treated like that.

Positive thoughts your way and Gable and Amaryllis send great big hugs to Bronxe!

Back