Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Brown Discoloured Skin

Justine

Lairian
Hey guys! I’m new here and I have a question!
Rodney is 6 months old tuxedo coloured sphynx. Over the past month his sides and belly have drastically changed to a patchy brown colour. His skin is not bumped, raised, cracked or bleeding. It feels like the rest of his skin and body. He’s not irritated or showing any signs of it. The markings don’t have a smell, so I don’t think it’s yeast. I’m bringing him to the vet Friday to see what she has to say.
A73DCEFE-BD58-410A-B7CC-9B2A5A089FD6.jpeg
BC22317F-D7B6-4337-BD5E-BDB081CBEC77.jpeg
983DE1C8-45F0-4873-8EE2-E203E8412B2E.jpeg

My question to you all is, has this happened to anyone here at all? I’m so confused by it!

I attached pictures so you can take a look!

Thank you!

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey guys! I’m new here and I have a question!
Rodney is 6 months old tuxedo coloured sphynx. Over the past month his sides and belly have drastically changed to a patchy brown colour. His skin is not bumped, raised, cracked or bleeding. It feels like the rest of his skin and body. He’s not irritated or showing any signs of it. The markings don’t have a smell, so I don’t think it’s yeast. I’m bringing him to the vet Friday to see what she has to say. View attachment 82127View attachment 82128View attachment 82129

My question to you all is, has this happened to anyone here at all? I’m so confused by it!

I attached pictures so you can take a look!

Thank you!

Hi there sorry I can’t help Just wanted you to know your in my thoughts
I am sure some of our members will be able to share their knowledge with you or will at least know a link that can help
Best wishes
Anita & Cleo xxx

meandmytwo

Lairian
My one boy Freeway has this too. Looks almost identical. Sorry I don't have a photo handy.

I've asked my vet about it and they said it's normal pigmentation change. May or may not have to do with sunning themselves. In my case it is not from the sun. I've UV protection on all windows. My vet told me that if it was yeast the skin there would feel different, like would have a grainy texture and it may come off a little when rubbed, but then come back.

I've been at a bit of a loss myself as I'm not sure what to believe. I'm very interested to hear what your vet says.

I see from the photos that it's only in the portion of his skin that is dark... like the pink that comes up his chest and down his leg is not affected... is that correct? Because I think yeast would not discriminate against color and it would also be in the pink. My boy is more one color but his affected areas are in very similar areas to Rodneys.

Actually my avatar photo shows Freeway on the left but the discolouration hadn't happened yet when that photo was taken. He looks more mature in that photo but was only 5-6 months old I think. The color change happened a couple months after that. It happened very quickly too, like over a few days I thought "weird, this is new".

Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Rodney is a handsome cutie.

I don’t dare to say what it can be. It can well be normal pigmentation by sun but maybe a yeast infection could be possible too.

Hope the vet can figure out what is causing it.

Natasja

CuryC

Lairian
following this post to see what it is..from the picture it does look like a yeast infection, but of course could be something else. Hope he feels better soon!

meandmytwo

Lairian
I keep thinking I should get a second opinion about my boys' skin. I can't shake the thought that it's yeast. But then I remember some other symptoms of yeast that my vet mentioned, that my boy does not have. Like the yeasty smell, redness associated and even raw ish areas. He is not bothered by it at all and it looks and feels exactly like the rest of his skin except the patchy darker colouring.

I asked my vet once if it would be ok to use a shampoo, Malaseb, just in case and they advised against it saying the only sure way to treat yeast is with oral medication.

Has anyone tried Malaseb without a yeast diagnosis and had good results? It's available over the counter?

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
Great advice given
I also was curious if Rodney sunbathes a lot ? Sit on cable boxes , heat floor registers?
When I adopted Batman he had severe pigmentation on his side
But no tummy discoloration
Always best to check with a vet
Keep us updated! Head smooches amd feel better vibes!

Here is a pic of Batman pigmentation
I kept him out of the sun moved a cat tree to indirect lightening window ,and all healed on its own with no ointments

Definitely best to get a diagnosis from his vet
Like you are doing

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 65

Yoda mom

Staff member
Keep us updated amd let us know if the vet does a skin scraping and results
Head smooches sent

Justine

Lairian
So I just got back from the vet and she said it was just regular pigmentation changes in his skin. She also told me that he now has a level 3-4 heart murmur so that is really heart breaking. When we saw the vet in September she marked it as a level 1. I booked him an appointment for Tuesday in Michigan with a cardiologist. Sigh...... I hope he will be ok! He's such a good boy!

meandmytwo

Lairian
So I just got back from the vet and she said it was just regular pigmentation changes in his skin. She also told me that he now has a level 3-4 heart murmur so that is really heart breaking. When we saw the vet in September she marked it as a level 1. I booked him an appointment for Tuesday in Michigan with a cardiologist. Sigh...... I hope he will be ok! He's such a good boy!

Thanks for the update - same as I keep hearing about the pigmentation. I still may go for a skin scrape...

So sorry to hear about his heart murmur. That’s difficult news. :(

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Glad to here it's nothing serious with his skin but I'm sending healthy vibes for his heart!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry I know this is an old post but was just wondering if there was ever a resolution besides pigment change?
My Toothless is having the exact same issue in the same spot all along her stomach.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so sorry to hear about the heart murmur, but at least you are on the way to exploring the options to handle that. Don't panic though -- it can be helped with medication.

Tuxedos and darker Sphynx are notorious for skin pigmentation changes.

Hugs. Stay positive.

Back