Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Morning all!

When I took 5e to the vet for a herpes flair-up(he's doing fine), the vet noticed some brown stains on his teeth.

After checking that the enamel was stained (i.e. not tartar), he pulled out his stack of medical texts, 'cause he had heard of something like that, but couldn't remember off-hand. What the vet found is that (rarely) treatment with tetracycline( a heavy-duty antibiotic) during tooth formation could cause that.

I contacted the breeder, and she told me that brown stained kitten teeth is common in Sphynxs. Judy has been awesome, and I believe her, I just like to see confirmation. Additionally, if this is true it would probably be good info for new owners and I haven't located anything similar in the forums here.

So, my question is:
Has anyone else seen/heard that brown stains in the tooth enamel of Sphynxs is common and of little concern?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, Sophie had some black kitten teeth. The vet called them her little gremlin teeth! :LOL: Her adult teeth are PEARLY white and beautiful now. Her vet looked up some case studies and said it was rare and they should grow in correct and white. Her breeder confirmed the same and sure enough- white teeth now.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie has one little line of a brown stain on one of her fang teeth, other than that they are all white. Also when I checked her out,,,she has lost 2 baby teeth and another is just hanging there. My baby is growing up!!!!

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Harry's upper teeth were brown when I got him. They fell out and grew in perfectly white.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mo has some yellow/brown staining on his front upper teeth, but its likely due to him being poorly when he was growing up. He didn't recieve enough nutrients when he was a kitten. But they arn't terrible and its just a bit of staining. He is healthy now and I just monitor them

Rhubarb

Lairian
Spike had "brown staining" when we took her to her first vet visit. Our vet, whom we trust, thought it was enamel dysplasia (spelling?) and was most likely genetic. When I contacted the breeder to inquire about whether or not any other kittens had the same issue, she felt stongly it was from lSpike icking her mother and nursing. The vet felt strongly that she could tell the difference between brown staining from skin oil and enamel dysplasia and she also said it wasn't a serious problem unless her adult teeth had the same issue. Either way...her adult teeth are fine. I suspect it is a "spyhnx thing". That is my opinion anyhow. I would wait and see how the adult teeth look before worrying too much!!

susi794

Staff member
One of the things I have had to worry about lately is that we can't give tetracycline to kittens or pregnant or lactating queens because of the problems with tooth formation. It is the same for humans--I was extremely ill as a baby and was given large doses of tetracycline--my two front lower permanent teeth came in with malformed enamel--stained and pitted. I had to have the stains removed and filled. So what your vet said about tetracycline is true. None of my babies' teeth have been brown that I know of. But if so many others have been, it doesn't sound like too much to be alarmed over. At least not with the baby teeth.

gizmo6370

Banned
Most cats have their adult teeth....starting around 3 months of age...and that will go on until 6 months old...so it's most likely that your baby is already having his adult teeth....

Nercole

Lairian
Jinx has brown teeth as well. Some breeders put antibiotics in their kittens water so they don't get sick from each other. It's easy for upper respiratory infections and virus' to form and spread when there are multiple, not-yet-vaccinated, cats and kittens running around. Although giving kittens unneeded antibiotics isn't necessarily a good thing, it keeps them healthy while they're in that environment.

Jinx's litter mate's all had brown spots on their teeth too. I wouldn't worry for now.

:)

Last edited:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Nercole for your input , welcome to Sphynxlair, dont forget to introduce yourself and kitty when your ready in the Sphynx Tails forum! Glad you found us!:Laugh:

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
im on an antibiotic in that drug family and it causes the stains in humans too. esp kids. i hope i dont get it.

TanyaMeaw

Lairian
My little Nacho also has black/brown baby teeth. It looks weird :LOL: it didn't freak me out though, I just assumed its ok because besides the odd coloring they look very healthy and sturdy. They're pretty shiny too even though they're so dark.

Treasurecat

Banned
Here are some pics of Lula's teeth. She is 5 years old and they have been this way as long as I can remember. She was on antibiotics when she was little but I'm not sure what

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They teach us in vet and tech school not to use tetracyclines in pregnant or nursing females...however some breeders do use them regardless....and some vets
Nofuratu had bad brown staining on his baby teeth which really surprised me because I consider his breeder to be a good one, and wouldnt think she would use tetracyclines or that her vet would.......regardless I assumed it was a tetracycline side effect.
His adult teeth grew in fine with no staining.
It is interesting hearing that it might be a sphynx thing, and not neccessarily a "screwed up and use tetracycline" thing...

Adventures of A Naked Cat

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My Moses has nice teeth, white teeth, with no problems. I don't know anything about Fluffys parents and did not see her baby teeth, but her adult teeth- OH MY GOODNESS!! they are TERRIBLE. they are badly stained, and oddly enough, there are way too many of them on the top! And there are an odd number. So, we joke that she needs braces! She eats fine and they do not have tartar, we get them checked and brush when we can, but wow... Bad teeth! But I have heard of stained teeth on a sphynx for all of the reasons mentioned above!

Jen

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Here are some pics of Lula's teeth. She is 5 years old and they have been this way as long as I can remember. She was on antibiotics when she was little but I'm not sure what

My Fluffy's teeth look exactly like that, and she is similar in skin color. I don't know of her abx history from before I got her.

Jen

rogerswabbit

Lairian
Romeo has white teeth but Spock has some dark ones. The vet noticed them on his 72 hour check up when we got him from our breeder. He seems fine and there wasn't a big fuss made out of it really. Spock doesn't have adult teeth (that I know of) yet but it will be interesting to see what his big boy teeth look like!

I wouldn't worry at this junction. That's just my opinion though. It seems to be a bit of a trend looking at this thread.........

...which by the way ..helped me realize I really have nothing to worry about with Spock either.

Thanks!

Back