Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

brown teeth

hurley

Lairian
hi all, I've only had hurley 17 weeks old since last saturday, but i noticed that his teeth are quite brown and i think he is missing some, which i thought was a bit unusual, because normally puppies when they're young their teeth are pure white and thought would be the same with kittens. anyway.. i have him on hill science and also royal canin dry food and I've noticed he hardly chews it. is this normal?? I'm thinking of getting him raw chicken necks to encourage him to chew more. he's been great since we got him, although he mostly sleeps, maybe because he is cold. anyway, any suggestions to anything will be greatly appreciated, as I'm new to this breed. oh, also i was wondering about how to keep his skin moisturised i wash him etc but any tips on that too, thanks

PunkNdisorderly

Lairian
When we first got Godric at 4 months old all of his teeth were brown. My breeder warned me before I picked him up thankfully so I didn't get too much of a shock.. But my vet sure did! Anyway apparently it's just the oils on the mum that make this happen and most of Godrics baby teeth have now fallen out and been replaces with nice white teeth :) so maybe it's the same thing with yours? Although the fact that he is missing teeth already concerns me.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Are the missing teeth baby teeth, that have not been replace by big teeth yet?
If so I would not worry, this is common.

hurley

Lairian
i took him to the vet yesterday and she said hes not missing teeth but that theyre just so small, im used to dogs sorry,:Pudently: and she said that she could see some growing that arent brown so its probably what you said and its the oils from the mum, that makes sense, besides that hes fine

butterb33rs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I got Charlie he had couple brown teeth and it shocked my vet as well but his adult teeth came in nice and white so no worries:ThumbsUp: also brown teeth can be caused by antibiotics when they're kittens

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lenore has all of her adult teeth, and all of them are white except for her top canines - they have black spots on them that are in line with the spots on her skin! It's so strange, but nothing abnormal.

HeatherL

Lairian
Mine had brown teeth and toungues ! Thats how I realised it was from their body oils, for some reason baby teeth pick them up, and adult teeth dont so much.

beamom

Lairian
Lenore has all of her adult teeth, and all of them are white except for her top canines - they have black spots on them that are in line with the spots on her skin! It's so strange, but nothing abnormal.

That is interesting! I haven't seen much of Bea's teeth but am now curious if she has spots, too

kroozkitty

Lairian
My breeder told me the same thing and my two babies also have brown teeth at 16 weeks.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When i got Nofuratu as a kitten he had brown teeth and as a vet tech i thought the breeder must have given tetracyclines. And since i later found out my breeder was a bit crappy...it is possible this happened.

Then I got Count von Count and same thing, brown kitten teeth. But this time i know i had a fabulous breeder and also his parents had some brown teeth as well with no problems.

Now Im convinced that it is a Sphynx characteristic in addition to the fact that some breeders do use tetracyclines in pregnant mothers and kittens (which is a no no).

So dont worry. Also kittens lose their teeth up to about 6 months of age.

for moisturizing use coconut oil. Can get in the grocery or health food store and dont bathe too much. If you can go every 3 weeks between baths then they dont overproduce body oils so much. Its hard with kittens though cause they get so dirty and often need baths twice a week or more if they are clumsy in the litterbox!

*Eryn*

Lairian
My cat Norma is 8, and has brown streaks down her teeth. Her baby teeth are definitely all long gone. She also has bad breath. I am used to Chinese Crested dogs, where the hairless genetics cause them to have bad teeth. Is that the same with the sphynx?