Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bumps, hives - in sphynx kittens - common?

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi my baby sphynx is four months old.

She has bumps/hives which go away in 24 hours but appear in other places. On her face, neck, tops of legs, occassional on side of torso. She had her vaccination two days ago and has more than ever but they disappear. The vet said it is common in kittens and she hould grow out of it. I have been reading your link on skin conditions and other members posts about this topic.

Is this common in sphynx and do they tend to grow out of it?

She has:
Glass bowls
Blended royal canin babycat dry mixed with wet food
Cotton bedding
Oatmeal kitten shampoo
Omo sensitive wash liquid to wash her beddin
I keep the floor dust free and it is tiled
Breeders choice paper litter
One crystals litter

Nothing has changed, it has really developed the past week and he has been with me for three weeks.

Her brother was covered in them.

She is not itchy or bothered.

susi794

Staff member
Do you use fabric softener or dryer sheets? My Boo breaks out in little red bumps all over whenever he is stressed or when he comes in contact with something that has fabric softener on it. They go away within 24 hrs. also. If they get bad, he can get an infection and has to get a steroid shot to clear it up. Good luck with it and keep us posted.
Susi and the gang

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No fabric softener or fragrances I am highly allergic myslf so extremely low allergy household here it is in the creases of her legs the worst.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi my baby sphynx is four months old.

She has bumps/hives which go away in 24 hours but appear in other places. On her face, neck, tops of legs, occassional on side of torso. She had her vaccination two days ago and has more than ever but they disappear. The vet said it is common in kittens and she hould grow out of it. I have been reading your link on skin conditions and other members posts about this topic.

Is this common in sphynx and do they tend to grow out of it?

She has:
Glass bowls
Blended royal canin babycat dry mixed with wet food
Cotton bedding
Oatmeal kitten shampoo
Omo sensitive wash liquid to wash her beddin
I keep the floor dust free and it is tiled
Breeders choice paper litter
One crystals litter

Nothing has changed, it has really developed the past week and he has been with me for three weeks.

Her brother was covered in them.

She is not itchy or bothered.

Hello,
Sorry to hear of your issue. Just to clarify, nothing has changed in the way of food or litter? You said her brother had them - do you own the brother or you saw his rash when you went to pick up your kitten at the breeder?

If the siblings had the same rashes I would say it's something that is common with both cats. Usually food is the culprit - did the breeder feed the same food? is Royal Canin grain free? Perhaps a grain free quality food.

Also red bumps or rashes can be from heat, window bathing, hot TV receivers or cable boxes and heating pads.
Just remember switching foods can cause tummy issues so make the best and right decision first, then stick with it.

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No food or litter change. Breeder was giving her royal canin dry food which she refused to eat when she came home. I have since blended it into a powder with some whiskas biscuits and mix it with her wet. Her brother was from the same litter we did not buy him he was covered all over and scabby. I am thinking it might be genetic and was thinking of maybe some gradual dietary changes.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
No food or litter change. Breeder was giving her royal canin dry food which she refused to eat when she came home. I have since blended it into a powder with some whiskas biscuits and mix it with her wet. Her brother was from the same litter we did not buy him he was covered all over and scabby. I am thinking it might be genetic and was thinking of maybe some gradual dietary changes.

I would separate the wet and dry food and not mix anything in it or together. We leave the kibble, Science Diet out for grazing all day, then feed Science Diet wet twice a day.

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We are trying to work out if its food, dry food seems to contain so many allergens ie soya, egg, etc, trying to find a simple formula is difficult.

I would like to know what brands of food for those sphynx with allergies worked please.

Thank you.

angela1974

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I leave Science Diet dry out all day for her to pick at. In the morning I give her Science Diet wet or her prescription food I/D for her tummy.

Rwalkerg

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Definitely try out a grain free food. We had a dog with this same issue - constant hives all over. We switched to a better food and it cleared up. Royal Canin is a great food beloved by many, but they might just not be able to tolerate something in there. I am not all that familiar with that brand, so I have no idea if Royal offers a grain-free version of foods. Cats in general, should have food that contains the least amount of "plant material" due their digestive make-up. A lot Sphynx for some reason seem to have this problem amplified.

I, personally, use Nature's Variety Instinct (dry kibble, chicken). I like it because I can order it on Amazon, and if you're a Prime Member, you can sign up for the Subscribe and Save to get a better price. I feed wet 2x a day, as a separate meal.

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They got worse we have to take her to the dermotolgist we think it is chicken fish and grains. The vet prescribed cooked kangaroo meat they have settled but are coming up in other places on her body.

I would like to hear how others have manages their sphynx food allergy too.